Locked JUSTICE LEAGUE v.4 (First Critics Reviews)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Flashpoint Paradox is still the best Justice League movie ever.

I dont have high expectations other than visual. And to be honest it looks like video game. And it seems it doesnt havent the hype like infinity war.

I heard
they ruined flash's character. He is watered down. Just there for comic relief

I just came back from the movie and it was...alright! My initial impression is that I liked it better than the two most recent Marvel movies I saw, Spider man and Thor. In comparison to other marvel movies, I personally liked it more than Wonder Woman, which is the only DC movie worth mentioning anyway.

I'll start off by saying that I personally am getting sick of the Marvel formula, particularly their use of their bright colors and their need to cram in every witty one-liner or joke they can. Daespite the failings of BvS, I did prefer the darker color and the overall mood even if it did get too ridiculously serious. From the get go, I am glad they kept that tone in the movie and brightened it just a bit. I will have admit I am torn on this because while the Marvel movies try too hard to be not serious, it fits with the fact that these are cartoon characters with silly powers punching each other. I like the tone of the DC movies then it kind of breaks the immersion when the heroes start doing hero shit and I remember, "Oh right, I'm watching a cartoon." I hope they make a solo movie with Batfleck because I think the tone fits his character the best.

Like everybody said, the on-screen presence of the actors and their dynamic with each other is the best part of the movie. Batfleck is a damn good Batman and wonder woman is a charming, charismatic leader. Aquaman is also charismatic in his own I-don't-give-a-fuck kind of way. Aquaman feels bit like DC's version of Thor, a strong warrior with a goofy side, but with the goofiness scaled back. Flash gives the team a more human touch with his humor and dorkiness and inexperience being a hero. Cyborg was the weakest for me but he's alright. I guess it makes sense he has the least personality since he's supposed to be half machine.

The scene where they introduced Wonder Woman to the movie was pretty cool and is my favorite action sequence in the film.
the way she blocks the bullets to save the hostages was unique

I did like how they showed Batman's lack of powers and how helpless he can be sometimes
Getting his ass kicked by a single foot soldier of Steppenwolf
but it makes him seem even more heroic for being there and trying his hardest to fight back and using more creativity to do so.

I assume everybody knows about Superman (I did going in) so I won't put spoiler tags about that. Also like how they showed Superman's power.
The Flash being shocked at Superman being able to see him come at him was memorable
Although once he came in, the little tension they built up of the danger of the villain was destroyed since Superman obviously has no match.
the short scene of Superman fighting the league had more tension than the entire fight between him and Batman in BvS.
Superman making a few jokes and being an asshole makes him a lot more likable. I'm glad Cavill is finally showing some personality.

As for the Whedon-esque humor, it worked. I think it worked better here than in Marvel movies because they didn't try to cram it in at every possible scene. They found a better balance of humor and action than the few recent Marvel movies.

The film has obvious flaws, but I think they are flaws the vast majority of these kind of movies have. The Villain is forgettable and not even a challenge for the heroes especially after Superman comes in. Most of the action is just a lot of punching and explosions. You get bored of them beating the shit out of endless ranks of faceless goons. There is no tension at all. I did wish they did something more unique than the villain gets something ancient and power plot. The end credits at this point makes them seem like they're trying way too hard to rip off Marvel.

I don't really remember what I give most of these movies but I'll rank it around 7.

JL makes me want a solo Batman movie in this universe, and Amber Heard as Mera is hot.

I think you'd really like Logan

I saw the film, the early dialogue was cringeworthy. I really don't know how the 8.2 rating came from imdb. It got better at the end but most of the jokes (over half, failed miserably). I don't think i am a tough grader on films and especially comic book films. I give it a 6~ 7at the most.

I think you'd really like Logan

Logan is a pile of trash that is one of the weakest wolverine stories of all time. If youre a fan of wolverine you should hate this.

if its not a wolverine movie its barely ok

espn people are crushing it right now but half the cast hasn't even seen it but its pretty bad publicity

Each character seems to have an equivalent character in the Marvel movies, or an amalgamation of two. Aquaman is Thor, royalty of another world (I kept thinking of 'Point Break'). Cyborg is Hulk, a remorseful genius who is terrified of his own powers. Wonder Woman is Capt. America and Black Widow, a fish-out-of-sea who is somewhat naive/bad-ass chick. Batman and the Flash both remind me of Ironman, Billionaire inventor, and a quirky smartass.

I think it's more like they match a John Hughes movie:

Jock - Superman
Cheerleader - Wonder Woman
Loner - Batman
Class clown - Flash
Token minority nerd - Cyborg
Emo goth chick - Aquaman

The problem with this train of thought is that these are all very different Batmans. The Batman in the JL is older, and looks to be on the tail end of his career. He is also sharing a universe with not just other heroes, but super powered beings. The other Batman movies mostly took place in "the real world"

If they're trying to create a new comic movie world, arguably the biggest character in that world should have gotten a solo movie.
Flash and Aquaman aren't central enough characters to the JL where they would take priority. They actually did a good job introducing and bringing the characters together in the movie

BvS was basically a Batman movie with Superman as a guest star.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back