Justin blunders all over India

This is a big deal because this is just one of many embarrassments Trudeau has been responsible for when he leaves Canada. He embarrassed himself in China, Japan, the Philippines and now India. As the Maclean's article I posted above said it is bad when every time Trudeau travels somewhere people are asking, "what the hell is this guy doing?"

From the Maclean's article:

Trudeau spent a half-day meeting CEOs in plush chairs tilted at 45 degrees to accommodate news photographers, something he enjoys doing because he hopes it’ll keep them thinking about Canada as an investment destination. But he visited none of those CEOs’ factories or office suites, scoped out no new site where Canadian developers or investors might make a difference in a country where hundreds of millions still live in poverty. If you’re all business, act like it.

That's funny, when I follow your link I get this:

"Some of India's biggest companies say they will invest more than $250 million in Canada in the coming years in everything from pulp mills to pharmaceuticals and the IT sector.

Canada, meanwhile, will invest $750 million in India.

The news came after Prime Minister Justin Trudeau spent his third morning in India meeting with six of this country's most influential business tycoons making deals that he says will create at least 5,000 new jobs in Canada.

All of them say Canada is a welcome place to do business and their experiences so far have left them wanting more.

Kumar Birla, the chairman of Indian conglomerate Aditya Birla Group and the country's eighth wealthiest person, says the business friendliness of the federal and provincial governments in Canada makes for happy investors who will always come back looking for more.

He says his company — which is largely focused on the natural resources sector and already owns pulp mills in Ontario and New Brunswick — has three business expansions planned in Canada in fibre, carbon black and rolled aluminum products.

Salil Parekh, CEO of the IT consulting company Infosys, says their presence in Canada will double in the next two years while the pharmaceutical company Jubilant Bhartia says it plans to invest more than $100 million more in Canada in the next five years."

And wasn't that the point of the trip, to improve trade?

Not tired of being wrong yet? Read this:
Congress Flubs Trudeau Visit. Modi Does No Better
"Indeed, if the "Khalistan issue" is the reason for the supposed snubbing of Trudeau by the Union government and by our Prime Minister, then it is not just petty - it is short-sighted and counter-productive. Letting the dead-and-gone Khalistan "cause" be revived through media oxygen is certainly not in Indian interests. And making it an India-Canada issue at this level is absurd. Even if this issue has not in fact affected Trudeau's reception, a narrative has grown around it. And allowing the development of a narrative that Modi has snubbed Trudeau because of Sikh nationalism is playing with fire. It raises a minor issue to the level of international politics. How does that benefit India? It would be just another occasion where cheap headlines and Twitter trends have pushed this government into taking a stance that undercuts our long-term interests.

In any case, it is worth noting that, while we in India might focus obsessively on Khalistan, that is not the glue that holds together Sikh community politics in North America. If any political event does, it is the 1984 riots. I have often noted how it is an important constituent of identity in the Sikh diaspora worldwide: even many of those who have not personally lived through 1984 cite that horrific pogrom as something that alienated them from their ancestral home. We in India, though our failure to deliver justice for 1984, have created barriers with this diaspora that we need to break down. And who can expect the Congress - still stuffed with leaders who may well have decades-old blood on their hand -- to take a principled stand on 1984? A party still willing to give Kamal Nath a role in the forthcoming Madhya Pradesh elections? But surely the BJP, with none of that baggage, should have been able to a more principled, and beneficial, stand."

Last edited:
I don't disagree. I only disagree that he's some fucking horrible stain on Canadian pride and will forever ruin the country as we know it.
In terms of what he has actually done in Canada I'd say he gets a B-, but to me, that's a humungous step up from Harper.

Edit: please direct me to this source. Again, haven't seen it. But I did hear the minister in the vid posted earlier on CBC getting a full opportunity to express his concerns about the issue.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/politics/sikh-extremism-rogue-elements-1.4548145

It's a pretty blatant spin job. When medal outlets are trying to push an agenda they'll usually load up with a provocative headline because they know that so many people don't actually read articles. If you actually do read the article, it's an anonymous source speculating how this guy got admitted to the country - doesn't exactly live up to that headline, does it. It also doesn't explain how or why this "rogue faction" managed to influence a Liberal MP to invite this guy to the dinner (or to get Trudeau to appear at a Khalistani rally last year for that matter), if their goal was to make Canada look weak on extremism. It's a very bad look for our state broadcaster imo, and considering that Justin boosted their budget to the tune of 150 mill a year I have to say it's pretty suspect.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/politics/sikh-extremism-rogue-elements-1.4548145

It's a pretty blatant spin job. When medal outlets are trying to push an agenda they'll usually load up with a provocative headline because they know that so many people don't actually read articles. If you actually do read the article, it's an anonymous source speculating how this guy got admitted to the country - doesn't exactly live up to that headline, does it. It also doesn't explain how or why this "rogue faction" managed to influence a Liberal MP to invite this guy to the dinner (or to get Trudeau to appear at a Khalistani rally last year for that matter), if their goal was to make Canada look weak on extremism. It's a very bad look for our state broadcaster imo, and considering that Justin boosted their budget to the tune of 150 mill a year I have to say it's pretty suspect.
The story says that some elements in Indian politics are trying to make hay from the controversy. See my above for an Indian perspective expressing precisely the same concern (Congress flubs Trudeu visit...). It's not made up.

@sangreporsangre
Further to the above, if this is true, it puts paid to your assertion they are biased toward Trudeau:
"Those problems escalated when CBC News discovered Jaspal Atwal, a convicted attempted murderer, received an invitation to an official dinner for Trudeau. The invitation was quickly rescinded."

"The invitation, which was extended by Canada's High Commissioner to India, was rescinded after CBC News asked the Prime Minister's Office about it Wednesday."

I'd be willing to concede your point if you can prove they're lying about the above.

Well its all already been said about this guy itt, except the one glaring omission.... ;)
You mean all the made up bullshit or the whining about his clothing that Indians don't seem to be overly bothered about?

Looks like they sent a low level govt official to greet him and he danced his way out of the plane

http://nordic.businessinsider.com/c...or-political-fashion-blunders-in-india-2018-2

At one point, Trudeau, wearing traditional dress, broke into the Indian dance called the Bhangra, to a mixed reaction on Twitter.

P7kft9F.png

5a8fe95daae6051d008b4592.jpg

Trump is embarrassing in different ways, but alteast he doesn't pander overseas.

Trudeau dancing to Bangra at the Canadian High Commission in New Delhi

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5427641/Justin-Trudeau-dances-bhangra-dinner-India.html

He's all about being a progressive hispter, but doesn't he know that Bangra is just 1 regional dance, and that there are many other regional dances. If he didn't dance other regional dances, he is snubbing some Indians.

I encourage you to read my earlier Post in this thread for a more balanced perspective.

Maybe he didnt get to go trick or treating as a kid.
main.jpg

That's funny, when I follow your link I get this:

"Some of India's biggest companies say they will invest more than $250 million in Canada in the coming years in everything from pulp mills to pharmaceuticals and the IT sector.

Canada, meanwhile, will invest $750 million in India.

The news came after Prime Minister Justin Trudeau spent his third morning in India meeting with six of this country's most influential business tycoons making deals that he says will create at least 5,000 new jobs in Canada.

All of them say Canada is a welcome place to do business and their experiences so far have left them wanting more.

Kumar Birla, the chairman of Indian conglomerate Aditya Birla Group and the country's eighth wealthiest person, says the business friendliness of the federal and provincial governments in Canada makes for happy investors who will always come back looking for more.

He says his company — which is largely focused on the natural resources sector and already owns pulp mills in Ontario and New Brunswick — has three business expansions planned in Canada in fibre, carbon black and rolled aluminum products.

Salil Parekh, CEO of the IT consulting company Infosys, says their presence in Canada will double in the next two years while the pharmaceutical company Jubilant Bhartia says it plans to invest more than $100 million more in Canada in the next five years."

And wasn't that the point of the trip, to improve trade?

Not tired of being wrong yet? Read this:
Congress Flubs Trudeau Visit. Modi Does No Better
"Indeed, if the "Khalistan issue" is the reason for the supposed snubbing of Trudeau by the Union government and by our Prime Minister, then it is not just petty - it is short-sighted and counter-productive. Letting the dead-and-gone Khalistan "cause" be revived through media oxygen is certainly not in Indian interests. And making it an India-Canada issue at this level is absurd. Even if this issue has not in fact affected Trudeau's reception, a narrative has grown around it. And allowing the development of a narrative that Modi has snubbed Trudeau because of Sikh nationalism is playing with fire. It raises a minor issue to the level of international politics. How does that benefit India? It would be just another occasion where cheap headlines and Twitter trends have pushed this government into taking a stance that undercuts our long-term interests.

In any case, it is worth noting that, while we in India might focus obsessively on Khalistan, that is not the glue that holds together Sikh community politics in North America. If any political event does, it is the 1984 riots. I have often noted how it is an important constituent of identity in the Sikh diaspora worldwide: even many of those who have not personally lived through 1984 cite that horrific pogrom as something that alienated them from their ancestral home. We in India, though our failure to deliver justice for 1984, have created barriers with this diaspora that we need to break down. And who can expect the Congress - still stuffed with leaders who may well have decades-old blood on their hand -- to take a principled stand on 1984? A party still willing to give Kamal Nath a role in the forthcoming Madhya Pradesh elections? But surely the BJP, with none of that baggage, should have been able to a more principled, and beneficial, stand."

Trudeau spent 8 days in India (on tax-payers money) and spent half a day on official business. The rest of the time was spent taking photos in costumes that many people mocked him for. The deal was probably done before he even got to India. He had no real reason to be there. I will not even bother getting into his time spent partying with a convicted terrorist.

From the Maclean's article:

But, we’ll hear, there was $1 billion in trade agreements! Sure. And in 2003, Jean Chrétien left India boasting of $3.4 billion in deals, in 2003 dollars. As a trade mission, this one has been curiously perfunctory. Trudeau spent a half-day meeting CEOs in plush chairs tilted at 45 degrees to accommodate news photographers, something he enjoys doing because he hopes it’ll keep them thinking about Canada as an investment destination. But he visited none of those CEOs’ factories or office suites, scoped out no new site where Canadian developers or investors might make a difference in a country where hundreds of millions still live in poverty. If you’re all business, act like it.

I encourage you to read my earlier Post in this thread for a more balanced perspective.
Which one?

He does look very silly with his constant dress-up. Like someone else on here said, what would we think if Narendra Modi dressed up in Jeans, western style shirt, 10 gallon hat and cowboy boots for a State visit to the US.

@sangreporsangre
Further to the above, if this is true, it puts paid to your assertion they are biased toward Trudeau:
"Those problems escalated when CBC News discovered Jaspal Atwal, a convicted attempted murderer, received an invitation to an official dinner for Trudeau. The invitation was quickly rescinded."

"The invitation, which was extended by Canada's High Commissioner to India, was rescinded after CBC News asked the Prime Minister's Office about it Wednesday."

I'd be willing to concede your point if you can prove they're lying about the above.

CBC supposedly broke the story in the first place, and in my initial post I gave them credit. I was impressed with them. But when this CT spin job came out the next day, it seemed to me that perhaps they were just trying to get in front of the story.

Which one?

He does look very silly with his constant dress-up. Like someone else on here said, what would we think if Narendra Modi dressed up in Jeans, western style shirt, 10 gallon hat and cowboy boots for a State visit to the US.
I'm talking about the information I posted from Indian media.

CBC supposedly broke the story in the first place, and in my initial post I gave them credit. I was impressed with them. But when this CT spin job came out the next day, it seemed to me that perhaps they were just trying to get in front of the story.
Impressed? You said they were shills for the Trudeau government. (Or if it wasn't you, it was one of the irrational haters mentioned below. I'm leaving shortly, no time to verify right now.)
As I said, I provided a source that shows this concern to be in the minds of Indian journalists as well. They didn't spin anything. FWIW, I appreciate that unlike some others on here, you aren't going out of your way to irrationally hate on Trudeau. Your concern is valid. But I think I've provided sufficient evidence to call your reasons for this concern into question, at least to the point that you may wish to re-evaluate.

Back