K-1 World MAX Final 16 Discussion thread

So basically you and other people are ranking him just because he shows potential?

No, I've watched Davit's fights and he can fight. Kem is not the first Thai he's beaten. He can flat out scrap. When you beat a fighter you move up in ranking. He handled Kem and other fighters when I posted about him sometime ago. He shook up Petrosyan in their fight. He beat people up to end up in the semi final of the Glory tournament. Shemsi B. was easy work for him. Kiria is the truth.

Top 7 based on WGP wins :
1 Souwer (2x K-1, 4x S-Cup)
2 Buakaw (2x K-1, 1x S-Cup)
3 Petrosyan (2/1,5x K-1, 1x Glory, first tournament was 4-man)
4 Masato (2/1,5x K-1, extremely helped by FEG/Tanikawa)
5 Kraus (1x K-1, 1x WLF, some low tier tournament)
6 Roosmalen (1x F&F)
7 Groenhart (1xK-1)

I still consider Buakaw and Souwer as elite fighters although both are way past their primes.

My top 10, partially based on achievements :

1 Buakaw (defeated Petrosyan but got a draw and he's still the biggest treat to his
throne)
2 Petrosyan (reigning kingpin in kickboxing, lacks the balls to compete in any other
ruleset, such as FMT, Shootboxing, etc.)
3 Souwer (most WGP wins, Kyshenko being his kryptonite)
5 Roosmalen (unless he lands a lucky shot he won't defeat Petrosyan, dutch style)
6 Ristie (could deliver an upset against Petrosyan because of his awkward style and
being a southpaw himself)
7 Groenhart (highly overrated, but has potential and could suprise us)
8 Kyshenko (has/had potential but lost a lot because of mike's bum squad)
9 Kyria (has potential and a chin, hasn't proved anything yet)
10 Grigorian (brings pressure, lacks big wins)

This would be for a greatest kickboxer accomplishment of all time thread. We have to go off of recent body of work Souwer lost to Kyshenko convincingly. Andy was getting waxed by Ristie and his one knock down should not have won the fight for him. Extra round. Your list is right on for Grand Prix wins though.

No, I've watched Davit's fights and he can fight. Kem is not the first Thai he's beaten. He can flat out scrap. When you beat a fighter you move up in ranking. He handled Kem and other fighters when I posted about him sometime ago. He shook up Petrosyan in their fight. He beat people up to end up in the semi final of the Glory tournament. Shemsi B. was easy work for him. Kiria is the truth.

you're right. entertaining fighter, I never got bored watching one of his fights and I'm no t just saying that because he's part of the Kyokushin family :wink:

What other thais did kiria beat? im not totally sold on him yet, yes he has potential but his most convincing win is Shemsi imo...
That said i cant wait to see his and Dahlbecks fights at glory next week and kiria may just convince me he is as good as the hype!

No other Thais he lost the other fight in a closely contested match against a Thai. He can bang though here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65DtgSsARlE

He lost to Somrak in the finals of the tournament. So my fault for saying he beat another Thai, but he's a bad bad man

you're right. entertaining fighter, I never got bored watching one of his fights and I'm no t just saying that because he's part of the Kyokushin family :wink:

He can fight for sure. He is ready for the next level and he would beat those he is ranked above.

1234729_614367355274897_333208953_n.jpg

A bit too early for Maximo. I hoped he could advance to the semis at least

wow. i am really out of the loop. how long has K-1 been back? how can i watch in the states?

Enriko is the big favourite here imo. He beat Aikpracha and schooled van Opstel

Really strange...Buakaw's manager already knows K-1 's Final 8 drawing? The drawing should be done in public. Makes me wonder who is really in charge

Really strange...Buakaw's manager already knows K-1 's Final 8 drawing? The drawing should be done in public. Makes me wonder who is really in charge

I don't think that's the official matchmaking, just a suggesting. It's not like Glory held a real draw last year in the 70 kg devision. Some spots were fixed based on ranking and the names drawn by Ramon Dekkers were never shown. He couldn't even select the balls/names randomly because of the small bowl. Glory just made the most even/ best matchmaking possible at that time and called it an official draw.

Then again, last K-1 event was (mainly) sponsored by Thai Airways and Topking, the final8 is rumoured to take place in Thailand. K-1 could have gone under control of Thai companies, which is an improvement, based on last event.

Personally I always liked K-1's public fight drawing. If a fighter is lucky enough, he can determine himself who he will fight (nr1 vs nr2 in first fight is possible).

At this point I just hope Buakaw win the tournament, then K1 gets absorbed into Glory,
and Buakaw can either make last run or just retire.
It would be funny though, if K1 gets taken over by Thai, bring back full clinch rule please
in that case.

I don't think that's the official matchmaking, just a suggesting. It's not like Glory held a real draw last year in the 70 kg devision. Some spots were fixed based on ranking and the names drawn by Ramon Dekkers were never shown. He couldn't even select the balls/names randomly because of the small bowl. Glory just made the most even/ best matchmaking possible at that time and called it an official draw.

Then again, last K-1 event was (mainly) sponsored by Thai Airways and Topking, the final8 is rumoured to take place in Thailand. K-1 could have gone under control of Thai companies, which is an improvement, based on last event.

Personally I always liked K-1's public fight drawing. If a fighter is lucky enough, he can determine himself who he will fight (nr1 vs nr2 in first fight is possible).

no glory did a draw it was just that based on seeding heading into the draw was what side of the bracket that they could be selected on. Also as k1 did for the final 16 I doubt they will do a draw as they did not for the hw wgp this year and that way they have control of the matches.

At this point I just hope Buakaw win the tournament, then K1 gets absorbed into Glory,
and Buakaw can either make last run or just retire.
It would be funny though, if K1 gets taken over by Thai, bring back full clinch rule please
in that case.
Bas Boon of Glory told that when Glory contacted Buakaw, Buakaw had a whole list of people he didn't want to fight. And i think Glory wants him to fight the best guys on their roster, so i dont think Buakaw will come to Glory.

Not saying your are wrong...but Bas has said a lot of things, and I'll leave it at that :wink:

The finals will be in China. The Chinese Zhou-show. K-1 got some Chinese backers and Thai sponsorship. The Chinese K-1 website is already online. No date scheduled but rumoured to be in december.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back