Karate blackbelts in MMA

Interesting piece, thanks for that video but it doesn't really answer my question - is it still Karate or not anymore? When did it stop being Karate?

If we take the "old masters" approach (who went to China and Japan to cross-train anything they could get their hands on) then hell yeah it's Karate. Karate is anything that you add to your Karate base and utilize. But that sounds a lot like MMA...
i dont know man. i think once your basically doing meat and potatoes dutch kickboxing its not karate anymore. My fav karate fighters are machida, wonderboy,andy hug and whittaker. I can see karate in all of them. benny the jet is up there too although he takes alot from boxing.

Last edited:
NEW FIGHTER ADDED !!!

NAME: Justin Lawrence
STYLE: Kempo
RECORD: 10-4
WIKI: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justin_Lawrence

RFA Featherweight Champion, Pan-American Kickboxing Champion, Golden Gloves Champion.

Daniel Tiger Shulman started out as a KK guy like GSP. Then Ultimate Fighter came out, and he switched his marketing campaign.
Actually, more kyokushin than gsp. GSP only trained as a kid/youth. Schulman had a sucessfull knockdown karate competition career and held several national titles (He was never a major player internationally, though).

Actually, more kyokushin than gsp. GSP only trained as a kid/youth. Schulman had a sucessfull knockdown karate competition career and held several national titles (He was never a major player internationally, though).
Ah, good point. So, back to my original question - do his pupils count as "Karate fighters"? Is he teaching MMA-flavored Karate or Karate-flavored MMA? :D

Ah, good point. So, back to my original question - do his pupils count as "Karate fighters"? Is he teaching MMA-flavored Karate or Karate-flavored MMA? :D

Tiger Shulman's is now kickboxing, and submission grappling. No more KK.

Interesting piece, thanks for that video but it doesn't really answer my question - is it still Karate or not anymore? When did it stop being Karate?

If we take the "old masters" approach (who went to China and Japan to cross-train anything they could get their hands on) then hell yeah it's Karate. Karate is anything that you add to your Karate base and utilize. But that sounds a lot like MMA...

It's because people often forget that each kata was considered a "style" of it's own until the curriculum got standardized via the Heians. Even now, there are opinions that different people should specialize in different katas because the "style" of the kata is better for their body types and abilities.

Essentially, karate is a MMA that eventually peaked and then lost some of that direction.

It's because people often forget that each kata was considered a "style" of it's own until the curriculum got standardized via the Heians. Even now, there are opinions that different people should specialize in different katas because the "style" of the kata is better for their body types and abilities.

Essentially, karate is a MMA that eventually peaked and then lost some of that direction.
This is very true. I recall some old master saying they had spent 3 years (!) studying just one kata. Of course that didn't mean just going through the motions every day for 3 years but actually learning the style which was "distilled and condensed" into that particular kata. Then they'd move on to the next style and combine them as they progressed.

Congrats to Karate master Volkov winning his headliner against Struve! :)

Kyokushin Karate 2nd Dan blackbelt Uriah Hall delivers a vicious knock-out!

giphy.gif

NEW FIGHTER ADDED !!!

NAME: Syuri Kondo
STYLE: unknown
RECORD: 6-0
WIKI: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syuri

Coming from a karate background, Kondo made her shoot boxing debut in 2009 and afterwards affiliated herself with the Krush promotion as a kickboxer. Over the next six years she amassed a record of 13 wins and one loss, while also becoming the inaugural Krush Women's Champion in March 2014. In April 2016, Kondo transitioned to mixed martial arts by joining Pancrase. Holding an undefeated record with six wins, she is the current Strawweight Queen of Pancrase, becoming the inaugural champion in May 2017. In September 2017, she made her Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) debut, besting Chan-Mi Jeon.

What a night for Karate fighters in the UFC!
  • Karate blackbelt Georges St-Pierre wins the Middleweight title!!!
  • Karate blackbelt Rose Namajunas wins the Strawweight title!!
  • Karate blackbelt Stephen Thompson defeats Masvidal and improves to 14-2-1!
Karate is back?!
No, it never left! :D
OSU!

What a night for Karate fighters in the UFC!
  • Karate blackbelt Georges St-Pierre wins the Middleweight title!!!
  • Karate blackbelt Rose Namajunas wins the Strawweight title!!
  • Karate blackbelt Stephen Thompson defeats Masvidal and improves to 14-2-1!
Karate is back?!
No, it never left! :D
OSU!
yeah I was really impressed with GSP's karate in there. That rear leg side kick and front leg roundhouse are almost never used!

yeah I was really impressed with GSP's karate in there. That rear leg side kick and front leg roundhouse are almost never used!

Yeah, it's the most common sidekick in pattern but never in sparring, because it takes too long. I was surprised to see it. Front leg roundhouse kicks are not that uncommmon though j

Yeah, it's the most common sidekick in pattern but never in sparring, because it takes too long. I was surprised to see it. Front leg roundhouse kicks are not that uncommmon though j
I rarely see karate/tkd front leg roundhouses without the switch in mma.

Doesn't wonderboy throw front leg roundhouses? What do you mean by switches?
yeah he does. You know how in muay thai instead of throwing the lead roundhouse straight from their stance they switch stances really quick and then throw it as if it is their rear leg?

Back