Karate is becoming the Alpha base for UFC greatness. (Proof in Video Blog and Notes)

You are proving my point karate has gotten rid of the BS and is moving towards true proven Martial Arts technique. The others combat arts are still focusing on the same stuff (bjj is actually getting worse with butt scooting)
bro those karate combat guys are good, but karate has been at and beyond that level since the 60s 70s and 80s. Look deeper into it.

It has almost completed a full circle. From creating the worst (most delusional) fighters in the world to quickly becoming the best combat sport to prepare you for UFC.

I trained TKD for about 5 years. UFC popped up, showed me the light, I switched to MMA and I’ve been bashing karate ever since (20 years now).

This past weekend I found out Karate is back.

(Disclaimer: I know everyone will say the best way to train for UFC is training MMA. That is only possible for a small amount of people. For non-pros, kids and newbies the high level MMA training (equivalent to Junior Olympic/Collegiate/National) and widespread availability of (smoker/Kids) MMA fights is limited to small areas in Cali or Vegas. You can find super high level Boxing, Wrestling, karate, BJJ competitions and coaches in most areas. Unless you are lucky, if you want world class specialized training you must pick a base of Karate, Boxing, Wrestling or BJJ)

Proof of my epiphany in order of occurrence:
1. My kid lost a PointMMA match to a karate kid
My kid is a high level youth BBJ, Boxer, and Wrestler he should destroy a karate kid. Check out the video to see my little beast lose to Karate Kid in a PointMMA match.

2. Continuous Sparring
At the karate tournament I walked around and watched continuous sparring. Take a look at the video to see a couple quick shots I took of the action. It has completely changed. It looks like kick boxing. Most of the fighters wore kickboxing gear (instead of the crappy foam Karate stuff). They were good fights, they hit each other hard and each karate guy fought multiple matches far exceeding the one fight you get per two months in Boxing/MT. They put in years’ worth of ring time in one day.

3. Karate Combat
After the tournament I looked up Karate Combat in Athens, Greece. 8 fights 8 finishes, all black belt karate peeps, in karate stance, wearing MMA gloves, using boxing, wrestling, kickboxing and Karate to win the fight. The event was legit and the karate fighters were legit. It looked much closer to MMA than Muay Tia, K1, any type of Grappling event or other combat sport competition. Some of these dojo monkeys looked ready for UFC.

4. PointMMA
I researched local karate gyms and they have all started doing BJJ, and MMA on top of their karate curriculum. They even do PointMMA sparring were you get bracket tournament style modified MMA matches. The PointMMA tournament my kid was in had people fighting up to 5 times in one day. I saw Broken teeth, broken nose, shoulder dislocation, knockouts... it was brutal. The total opposite of what karate was before. It was raw and the closest thing to MMA I’ve ever seen in a local unsanctioned setting.

5. Wonderboy and Sage Northcutt
I re-watched Wonderboy and Sage Northcutt’s fights. I used to think their success was due to a switch to MMA training along with the distance management they learned from karate. After going to these Karate Tournaments and seeing how sparring has changed... i think they learned to fight though karate.

6. Henry Cejudo
I Listen to our new Flyweight champ Henry Cejudo on UFC Unfiltered talking about fighting in a karate stance, rather than a typical boxing stance . He says he’s switched to a karate style??? A boxer wrestler switched to a karate stance to win the UFC belt.

Karate is back and has evolved into a legitimate way to become a successful UFC fighter.

My current rank order of useful combat sports (with consistent completion participation) to become a UFC Fighter:
1.Wrestling
2.Karate
3.Boxing
4.Muay Thai
5.BJJ (has replaced karate as the new Mc dojo useless martial art)

What is your order of combat style usefulness?

I predict we will soon complete the circle:
Year 2010: BBJ own Karate
Year 2020: Karate owns BBJ

Your kid lost to the "karate kid", because the karate kid knew wrestling (great takedown defense, balance, and sprawl) and has great athleticism and explosiveness (there I said it, lol).

The "karate kid" didn't win because of karate, and this proved nothing about Karate.

I say this as someone who grew up training Karate. It is a good supplemental martial art, but it is not a good base, and cannot replace boxing (for hand attacks) and kickboxing (for leg attacks).

Using Karate to replace boxing and kickboxing is a bad idea. Karate does not teach head movement and boxing skills, and it does not teach leg kicks and checks, which are crucial for MMA.

won´t EVER click on your shit

go get a real job

Get a real job? What does a cheesy video have to do with my job? Lol I have a job. Do you think I make crappy videos for my kids blog for a living? His videos have like 13 views each... id say that could amount to .001 cents per video if I Monitized it.

Lol I’m a cook you dork. I made that video on my phone.

Pure Kar

Pure Karate will defeat Aikido and most chinese martial arts. It's not that bad of a style until you're up against people that actually know what they're doing.
Thats why I said legit martial arts...
Aikido and most chinese martial arts lmao someone get this guy a beanie and a bow tie

Seems silly. In the vid, the "Karate kid" was clearly bigger, stronger and more aggressive. When there isn't a big gap in skill, that'll win every time. I'm not familiar with whatever that was, but any advantage someone might have in BJJ or wresting seems lost in this match as they stood the kids up as soon as it went to the ground.

Thanks. They can only stay on the ground for 5 seconds. He might of won if he could have used his wrestling/bjj/clinch more. Still, I had three kids in MMA for 10 plus years and the closest I’ve seen to real fighting in a tournament style is the Karate tournament. Boxing is a close second.

You put alot of work into this post..but no1 is fighting at the top levels of MMA with just there base..it isnt possible

Take for example GSP his base was karate..but in order to a successful as he was in MMA he didnt use just his karate..

Karate is affective when fighting on there terms, primarily a stand up fight with not much chance of clinching or grappling but outside of that it cant hold up to others..also its a very general statement to just say karate there are tons of styles and even more practioners and few very truthful killers or elites that would truely represent karate to the fullest ..the truth most people dont study the traditonal martial arts the way there suppose or long enough to truely make it effective in all realms.. There mostly lost arts now..

Thats not to say karate hasnt had a resurgence it has but its a new form a MMA specific karate form..a new style if you will

Karate changed during the Tokugawa period. That was when the warriors were forced to become artists. It has not recovered.

Karate changed during the Tokugawa period. That was when the warriors were forced to become artists. It has not recovered.

And Kung Fu were suppressed by the communist? LOL

Please stop keeping these myths and fantasy alive. There are no secret deadly techniques.

Many styles of Karate and Kung Fu are good but not good enough, because they don't evolve for the most part. As traditional martial arts, evolution was prohibited and discouraged. This is why these traditional martial arts got left behind by boxing and Muay Thai / kickboxing.

I'd like to agree that the swiftness, distance management and angles of attack used by karate fighters are highly valuable in world class mma, but for all else it is not optimal.

The wide stance allows superior forward, backward, and lateral movement, but it hurts mobility in the pocket.

In boxing, the wider your stance is the less mobile you are. Stand in your room and try to slip punches, weave, and pivot off an angle off your lead foot with wide karate bladed stance. Then try to do it with the shoulde width bladed stance of a boxer. Also try to change levels and shadowbox with the karate stance, that too is more difficult to evade.

If you watch both of Wonderboy's fighters against Twood, he has a lack of ability to block hooks thrown in the pocket he gets past his range.

Israel, also fights out of the karate stance, and despite his reach he has a hard time dealing with pressure fighters who close the distance. Same with Pettis, RDA laid out the blueprint to beating him.

Henry is a special case because he is a superior wrestler to practically anyone he faces, so he can risk leaving his lead leg forward.

No style is perfect, but I'd have to agree with the consensus that pure karate is not superior to other striking arts for MMA purposes

Please stop keeping these myths and fantasy alive. There are no secret deadly techniques.

Many styles of Karate and Kung Fu are good but not good enough, because they don't evolve for the most part. As traditional martial arts, evolution was prohibited and discouraged. This is why these traditional martial arts got left behind by boxing and Muay Thai / kickboxing.

Constant warfare before the gun forced technique to become practical. When Japan became unified the arts took over.

It used to be the techniques were not as flashy and were straight to the point. With unification it became more about showmanship rather than what words.

I am sorry that you don't know history.

This thread will piss off the BJJ queers, looks like it already has.
Bjj defense is mma 101. If you can't do bjj up to a purple belt level at least, then it is incredibly hard to get out of the lower levels as a pro.

It's not the end all be all it used to be, but man it would suck to have 1 takedown be your skin everytime

what do u know about kyokushinkai history ? do u know where mas oyama took those moves from ? you'd be surprise...

I won’t claim to be a historian or anything but afaik, based on what my Goju Ryu Sensei taught, he developed his style from both Shotokan and Goju...regardless I stand by my gifs of Hall’s highlights, his “Alpha Base” is Karate.

Karate has its place, it was my first art

I used it to become a good competitive kickboxer and without it I wouldnt have had the kicking arsenal compared to the ammy guys that werent blackbelts already.

Streetfight, more than one attacker, karate and boxing are the best two.

Back