Karate kata that will scare you

What is so scary about kata? Most of the dojo's out there don't even practice Bunkai. (Heres looking at you Shotokan and Tang soo do)
Angry peeps looking like they need to take a shit with every step

I don’t think a single one of those techniques would work in a fight.

If you post kata, post bunkai. Maybe not all that practical but beautiful.

I was half joking... The guy looks legit, but katas are still goofy and unrealistic (though aestetically pleasingpl

Katas are actually like musical performances. What's even more absurd is how dogmatic and strict the instructor is about the stances, then the minute he steps up to demonstrate a technique for mitts practise, his stance is nothing like the katas.. so WHY WASTE TIME ON THEM.

Katas are actually like musical performances. What's even more absurd is how dogmatic and strict the instructor is about the stances, then the minute he steps up to demonstrate a technique for mitts practise, his stance is nothing like the katas.. so WHY WASTE TIME ON THEM.

It was a way to memorize movement in ancient times. Katas often were more close to what we describe as drills. Paper was rare and could get lost. In war times that was not a problem as the necessity to use martial arts in life and death situations held the techniques sharp. Weapon Katas were important. In peace time + upcoming of firearms and because of authoritarian unflexible asian dojo mentality it lost all practicability.

Katas devolved into meaningless strict dance competitions we have nowadays.
It is absolutely dumb that anyone has to "dance" it the same. It is a sort of Ballett without all the freedom of creativity Ballett builds upon basic moves.

It was a way to memorize movement in ancient times. Katas often were more close to what we describe as drills. Paper was rare and could get lost. In war times that was not a problem as the necessity to use martial arts in life and death situations held the techniques sharp. Weapon Katas were important. In peace time + upcoming of firearms and because of authoritarian unflexible asian dojo mentality it lost all practicability.

Katas devolved into meaningless strict dance competitions we have nowadays.
It is absolutely dumb that anyone has to "dance" it the same. It is a sort of Ballett without all the freedom of creativity Ballett builds upon basic moves.

That's exactly why katas should be dropped. They are relics of a different time.

I hate tournament bunkai. Completely worthless. Just one guy that do the formal kata, and a bunch of guys placing themselves in the way othe kata performers punches and kicks -any way they can.

I take practical bunkai any day of the week.

But that dont look formally and stylistic enough for the judges who don't have realism as a judging criteria.

And please don't compare it to shadow boxing. Shadow boxing is fluid and spontaneuos, and a minor part of a boxing curriculum. Karate is based around those darn katas!

I hate tournament bunkai. Completely worthless. Just one guy that do the formal kata, and a bunch of guys placing themselves in the way othe kata performers punches and kicks -any way they can.

I take practical bunkai any day of the week.

But that dont look formally and stylistic enough for the judges who don't have realism as a judging criteria.

Meh. I prefer the tournament one, both equally (im-)practical yet tournament is more beautiful.

And please don't compare it to shadow boxing. Shadow boxing is fluid and spontaneuos, and a minor part of a boxing curriculum. Karate is based around those darn katas!
Wut?

Shadow boxing is a huge part bud. A reason why there's shit footwork, movement, and balance is because of a lack of SB

If you are in competition team in Karate they often do their kind of shadow boxing. Its not Kata = Karate shadow boxing. And I would not say that Karate nowadays is based around Kata. More than Kata has its own part of training with not much contact to the other aspects and the Karateka often decide if they focus more on Kata or sparring/fighting. But that depends heavily on Karate style. No way to generalize.

Btw. there is nothing wrong with Kata as some sort of "dance". Its not fight skill related but imo it does not have to be that way as long as people realize what they are doing and why.

Last edited:
Here's how ineffective Karate is against a trained fighter. Low kicks allowed.

Last edited:
Here's how ineffective Karate is against a trained fighter. Low kicks allowed.

Joey Hadley does little Peekaboo tutorials on Youtube. He speaks a lot about Cus in them too. Worth a watch, if you haven't come across them.

Back