Karate throws

Hotora86

war in the ring, never outside
Platinum Member
Reaction score

Source: Iain Abernethy

"In this video you can see a quick summation of a number of karate throws. This summary was for people at a gathering in the UK in June 2016. We had previously spent quite a bit of time on the associated gripping skills, but that is not covered in this clip. The throws had been previously taught in some depth to those present and hence this quick recap should not be considered to be instructional in nature.

In the 1935 book Karate-Do Kyohan, Gichin Funakoshi wrote “In karate, hitting, thrusting, and kicking are not the only methods, throwing techniques and pressure against joints are included.” Sadly, this side of karate is not as widely practised today as it was in the past. Things are changing though and we see ever greater numbers returning to a more holistic and authentic karate.

In this video you can see Funakoshi’s throws Byobudaoshi, Nodo-Osae & Kubi-Wa (variation) throws. We also look at one version of the Makikomi throw in Heian Sandan.

Throwing is very much a secondary method in karate and preference is always given to the striking methods. It’s important to have knowledge of this side of karate too though if the art is not to be limited and one-dimensional.

Although these throws can be used in fighting, for self-defence we need to be careful to keep our feet / regain them quickly, and use the throws as a means to facilitate escape; as opposed to gaining a dominate position for any ensuing groundwork (due to the risk posed by potential third parties)."

So Sherdog grapplers - what do you think?

Just about any striking art is going to include osoto-gari variations, because the standing clinch is so common and it's such a natural move from there. I think in old-timey european bare knuckle boxing they called it the back heel.

Even World Karate Federation sport karate allows for foot sweeps and throws, and even awards Ippon for a clean sweep followed up by a clean controlled strike (if I'm not mistaken).

Not bad. Lyoto Machida's throws largely come from his karate background, and he's put guys like Dan Henderson on their asses. The transitional striking -> throwing stuff I've always liked.

Only the cage kept Rashad from getting taken down too. His foot sweep on Hendo was fucking sweeeeeet.

When I was like 16, I got to train once with this old Karate guy from Okinawa. He came over to the US to do a seminar for us. He was in his early 70s at the time.

I was pretty shocked to see that most of his Karate involved throwing and joint locking. I really wasn't expecting that. But he did more takedowns and standing joint locks than he did actual strikes.

This wasn't some kind of reaction to the dominance of grappling in the UFC either. The guy spoke zero English, and I doubt he even really knew what the UFC was. I think he was just showing how he had been doing Karate his whole life. It sure looked different than the way I had been doing it.

I remember that being one of the more eye opening experiences I ever had in the martial arts.

That first throw looks a lot like Osoto Gari

Even World Karate Federation sport karate allows for foot sweeps and throws, and even awards Ippon for a clean sweep followed up by a clean controlled strike (if I'm not mistaken).
really? was never aware of that.

skimmed through the vid. it dont look bad.

Nothing new

Still there is not grip fighting in Karate so its not like they can do much without proper grappling training.

Yup Karate is a complete stand up art and has some basic restraining joint locks.
A finish on the ground is stomping or dropping to your knee and punching them in the face repeatedly while holding the arm you grabbed to pull them off balance to sweep with.
Because going to the ground is the last thing you want to do because you need the mobility to run away from the other attackers it is a self defence art at it's core.
Ne Waza is perfect for when you get put on the ground though to stand up / control the attacker and is less strength based than other arts.

I was gonna make a joke that I see more takedown watching sport karate than I do sport BJJ but I don't wanna start no shit.

I was gonna make a joke that I see more takedown watching sport karate than I do sport BJJ but I don't wanna start no shit.

this is fantastic I lol'd and spit up my coffee and ruined my shirt at work thanks!!!!

Nothing new

Still there is not grip fighting in Karate so its not like they can do much without proper grappling training.

The Osoto at 0:53 was pretty nice.

I think the whole "I'm only a striker" or "i'm only a grappler" thing is relatively recent and "MMA" is more of a return to tradition than something new.

Most of those old Japanese karate black belts had a black belt in Judo, there were probably some throws that originated in Okinawa as well.

It seems when they marketed Karate in America, they took the grappling out or most people didn't feel the need to train Judo. You had people for the first time who only took Karate.

For instance, Enshin Karate is a blend of Kyokushin and Judo. The founder was a Kyokushin black belt who also held a black belt in Judo, this was not really out of the ordinary.

Last edited:
This is similar to the situation with Aikido.

The people who trained Aikido to a high level in Japan would have been well rounded martial artists with Karate and Judo backgrounds.

After a while you had people only training Aikido who had massive holes in their ability to fight effectively.

Aikido is great in certain areas like disarms but it is not a standalone martial art.

When I was like 16, I got to train once with this old Karate guy from Okinawa. He came over to the US to do a seminar for us. He was in his early 70s at the time.

I was pretty shocked to see that most of his Karate involved throwing and joint locking. I really wasn't expecting that. But he did more takedowns and standing joint locks than he did actual strikes.

This wasn't some kind of reaction to the dominance of grappling in the UFC either. The guy spoke zero English, and I doubt he even really knew what the UFC was. I think he was just showing how he had been doing Karate his whole life. It sure looked different than the way I had been doing it.

I remember that being one of the more eye opening experiences I ever had in the martial arts.
That is very common for Karate guys from Europe or the US going to Japan/Okinawa to witness the "real thing". They are shocked by how many throws and locks Karate has and how little time black belts spend on striking.

Actually it was pretty weak, would had been countered by anyone who has drilled osoto for like a week.

I'll take your word for it since my Judo is non-existant. I was just impressed by how the Uke folded up like an accordion and landed on her head lol

Back