KASAI PRO 2 RESULTS (Spoliers, duh)

Yep. And it's happened with most major techniques that I can think of. From 2005-2008 if you knew the darce then you could basically tap everyone in the room. After 2007 everyone learned it and caught on and started being more careful with their underhooks. But it was common back then for guys to go into gyms and roll through the entire mat. Same thing happened with the high elbow guillotine after Marcelo Garcia, and earlier his arm drags to rear naked chokes.

The berimbolo came about when the youtube bjj era exploded too and the berimbolo was everywhere for a couple of years. I remember entire pages on facebook and instagram dedicated to berimbolos.

One thing I've noticed though is this heel hook craze has lasted longer than any of these previous crazes. I'm not sure why that is. I don't know if it's because there are still some people that can get away with not embracing it? The berimbolo was legal at all belts gi or no gi so I think everyone had to learn it and adapt faster maybe? With heel hooks they basically are always illegal in the gi and in no gi you can still get away with not knowing them up to a certain level?

At your standard school you could be training gi bjj for years without even touching heelhooks.

At your standard school you could be training gi bjj for years without even touching heelhooks.
Or possibly never.

My buddy just got his black belt at an ibjjf focused school (they do no gi during ibjjf no gi season only and with ibjjf rules) and he told me they've never once done heel hooks in any official class.

I assume you meant Diniz and not Mac Danzig lol ?

I thought Diniz was on fire this weekend but DJ definitely does have a good style to win a tournament like Kasai. In a no-gi points tournament at his own weight I think DJ is a nightmare match up for basically everyone. I don't think I've ever seen a match where DJ got blown out.

I'm not even talking by sub. Because I can't remember DJ getting subbed except maybe by Pena. But even by points. If he loses it's usually by an advantage or by 2. Bill Cooper had a sizeable point lead on DJ back in the day and went to play footsie and DJ actually heel hooked him. Bill is the only guy in no-gi that I've seen score double digit points on DJ.

rustam ragdolled him like a kid though.

Cummings matches are pretty much always snoozefests. Can't think of one match he was in that was entertaining

Why does anyone invite DJ to anything? He is boring to watch, ugly and a fugitive rapist.

Cummings matches are pretty much always snoozefests. Can't think of one match he was in that was entertaining
He's in a bit of a catch-22. If you actually engage his guard, he's going to tie your legs up or get onto your back, and you might get out (like Tanquinho or Khera) or you might not (almost everyone else). So we are seeing guys like Samir Chantre and Canuto just not really engage his guard.

Now should Eddie just stay in seated guard and scoot towards them? There are arguments for yes and arguments that he should change strategies.

But Eddie Cummings himself wants to break his opponents and generally tries to do that. He mostly tries to do it by starting from seated guard and most of the less exciting matches happen when neither he nor the top player are willing to change strategy.

Back