Keenan talks about Saulo guard pass being wrong

To be fair though a lot of times finding what works for you involves emulating someone (or multiple people's) style and then adjusting it to fit your body type, attributes, and personality. You end up discarding things, adding things, adjusting things, and then it becomes your own. So I would argue it's still better to look to what the best guys that have a style that "speaks to you" are doing and that is what will help you find the shit that works for you.

its like saying im going to emulate Micheal Jordan when i play basketball.

but i should really be emulating a way more basic style as ill never be able to do what he does. Then from that basic style i can add to it.

I see lots of unathletic, uncoordinated guys trying to emulate some freaks of nature from the jump and they actually have way less success than just being basic and growing from that point.

im not saying spend years doing techniques that dont work. i dont think anybody does that so its a moot point.

its like saying im going to emulate Micheal Jordan when i play basketball.

but i should really be emulating a way more basic style as ill never be able to do what he does. Then from that basic style i can add to it.

I see lots of unathletic, uncoordinated guys trying to emulate some freaks of nature from the jump and they actually have way less success than just being basic and growing from that point.

im not saying spend years doing techniques that dont work. i dont think anybody does that so its a moot point.
I get your point for sure. But as a huge basketball fan (MJ is my favorite player too) I would also say that MJ has a lot of fundamentals down that are great to copy.

I know you aren't saying to spend years doing techniques that don't work. I guess what I am saying though is that a lot of what Rafa does isn't all that fancy. A lot is, but I think it would be worth it for anyone wanting to learn basic Delariva and reverse Delariva guard retention to watch how he does. If someone wants to learn basic leg drag passing, study his older matches. If people want to learn breaking grips to finish basic armbars, Rafa is awesome to study for that. He's got the best anaconda choke in history and it's way simpler than the traditional method, so studying him if you want to work anacondas is a good idea. The way he controls the back is very simple and good to study.

I don't think our ideas are that far apart. My whole thing is that every "fancy" grappler has very basic aspects of their game that are there too, and they all have a solid foundation that can be worth studying and emulating. Rafa does have a ton of fancy shit but he also has a lot of rock solid stuff that anyone can do.

I get your point for sure. But as a huge basketball fan (MJ is my favorite player too) I would also say that MJ has a lot of fundamentals down that are great to copy.

I know you aren't saying to spend years doing techniques that don't work. I guess what I am saying though is that a lot of what Rafa does isn't all that fancy. A lot is, but I think it would be worth it for anyone wanting to learn basic Delariva and reverse Delariva guard retention to watch how he does. If someone wants to learn basic leg drag passing, study his older matches. If people want to learn breaking grips to finish basic armbars, Rafa is awesome to study for that. He's got the best anaconda choke in history and it's way simpler than the traditional method, so studying him if you want to work anacondas is a good idea. The way he controls the back is very simple and good to study.

I don't think our ideas are that far apart. My whole thing is that every "fancy" grappler has very basic aspects of their game that are there too, and they all have a solid foundation that can be worth studying and emulating. Rafa does have a ton of fancy shit but he also has a lot of rock solid stuff that anyone can do.

The berimbolo and the leg drag are two of the highest percentage techniques in the sport. They are advanced techniques to be sure, but close to undefendable if done properly.

Passing like Rafa requires some quickness. If you don't have that at all, you can pass like Bernardo or Gui. Or Murilo. It's unlikely you're going to come up with something better than they came up with, assuming no major physical problems.

While he's got a speed advantage, I feel that Rafa's greatest attribute is his accuracy, especially during the crazy movements of a scramble. He has the knack of putting his foot etc in precisely the right spot. Everyone can drill that. There's no physical attribute required. Will mere Sherdog mortals get there, un-bloody likely

What if I like to stand and then knee him in the ass?

Back