Keep getting calls from Portfolio Recovery Associates...

mb23100

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
I assumed this was just a scam but I got a letter saying I owe over $1000 on an old PayPal account. I have never had a PayPal account. I have never had a credit card, all my bills are up to date, car is paid off...etc. I have no outstanding debt except my mortgage which is paid up to date. I looked up the company and am getting different advice on what to do but it does seem to be a legitimate debt collection agency. Does anyone have any experience/advice on what to do?

if they call you on the phone, pick up and say “South County Police Department. How can I direct your call?”

Send them a debt validation letter.

looking into it seems like an actual debt collection company but a lot of people have been contacted fraudulently. if they file a lawsuit against you then you’ll have to go to court to avoid having a default judgment passed on you. If this is all a mistake on their part which it prob is then you’ll need to contact the credit agencies and clear your credit. Then get your own attorney and sue them for any damages. These asshole leeches buy up debt on pennies on the dollar and then go off whatever name/number the company sells them along with the debt.

Maybe your identity was stolen... This is the shit that happens...

Probably need a notarized letter through registered mail.

This. See what they send you back, if anything. If it's obviously not you, then you might want to have a lawyer write them a cease-and-desist. That way you don't have to go to court for something dumb.

Literally the same thing happened to me without me knowing a long time ago. It was from PayPal, and they sided with the other guy even though I wasn’t involved (it was some punk bitch named Richard Lucarelli.) I had moved states a few times for work, so I hadn’t gotten any of the debt collection mail. When I did actually realize I owed it, a few years had passed and they could no longer legally pursue it.

What I mean is that if there is any chance you do actually owe money and you’re not able to come up with it, I wouldn’t contact the collection agency because it then re-opens the window of time they can pursue your debt owed. I only found out because I talked to a lawyer when I realized the damage my credit had taken. I want to say it was three years, but it might have been six. I’m sure you can find it on Google.

If you DO actually end up owing money, I’d still wait a while to pay because these debt collection companies will sell your debt to “lesser” companies for pennies on the dollar and often they’re willing to take 50%+ off what you owe. Credit is relatively easy to bring up, but paying money I don’t owe is unforgivable.

Last edited:
I assumed this was just a scam but I got a letter saying I owe over $1000 on an old PayPal account. I have never had a PayPal account. I have never had a credit card, all my bills are up to date, car is paid off...etc. I have no outstanding debt except my mortgage which is paid up to date. I looked up the company and am getting different advice on what to do but it does seem to be a legitimate debt collection agency. Does anyone have any experience/advice on what to do?
TAKE MY NUMBER OFF YOUR CALL LIST!

Make them listen to you jerk off everytime they call, make a lot of deep guttural pleasure noises too

Sounds like Chael's latest scheme.

Check Credit Karma and see if anything pops up. This will give you access to two of your reports. If nothing pops up its most likely a scam or someone has opened an account in your name at some point.

Look into it. The same thing happened to me years ago. I got a bill from Paypal (when I didn't even know they extended credit) for 600 bucks. Disputed it, but was told I owed it anyway. It went to collections, and I refused to pay it for 8 years until the collections agency offered to let me settle the debt by paying 25% of the balance. My credit is pretty fucked because of it, and in hindsight, I should have taken the L and paid, but I didn't.

If they can't find the right person, they might call everyone with the same name. If they can collect a few dollars from a few hundred people, they can make quite a bit of money.

Back