Keeping the full mount in MMA

trfcrugby

White Belt
Reaction score
Like the title says, techniques and strategies for keeping the full mount in an MMA match. I've seen a lot of guys get rolled from the mount, I in training, I find myself fighting to keep the position more than I am striking.

I prefer side control, where I feel like I can subdue the bottom man, and still have several weapons to strike with (knees, elbows, fists).

Advice etc....

I get my knees under their deltoids, my feet by the small of their back and keep one hand out in front of me to use for base.

Full mount is less secure than side control but is the best spot for GnP. Side control is Roley's preferred vale tudo position also, I believe, for the same reasons you gave.

keep your knees nice and tight against their sides and keep your weight centered, (with nice straight punches) and then anytime you feel off balance, just put your hooks in

Not that I train MMA but I've always liked Vandy's "one hand on the face, the other raining down hurt" method. Although I'm not sure if this provides enough base to prevent from being bucked off. Seems to work well for him though.

Agree with above. Like with Jackson/Randleman, when Jackson was on top, grab the guys throat and blast with the other hand, works as a simple distraction to keep you from shifting and elbowing, got to protect that exposed face. On another note I actually use a two handed strangle (like in an old fashioned murder movie) while mounted, my instructor called it a "bitch" choke because only a woman would tap to it, which is true, but (as he also told me) you still have to do something about it, usually reaching up and take the hands off, so I choke then wedge my knees further into their armpits for high mount when they reach up, works like a charm.

Ive never done full MMA unpadded. Ive always wondered why you rarely see a mount sweep in Profesional events (trap the arm/leg and sweep)

It seems really easy to pull off the sweep, even if they are high on your chest.

One thing I think we see alot of lately is guys are too eager to start pounding. An extra split second stabalizing your position, and you're gonna cocked, locked and ready to rock...

once i get the mount , i nevr want to lose it , its the most dominant position in fightiing

train a lot of wrestling.

Too eager to pound is a great phrase. you have to take your time and pick your shots. Also, if elbows are legal (not in a lot of shows...especially for ammies) stay tight and drop a few short elbows to soften him up, work the body then raise up. Crowding into the cage (assuming you're in one) is choice

ive been working a modified mount recently where i raise one knee up, so the bottom of my foot is flat on the ground, and then i make sure my heel is tight to their hip/side. i like it a lot.

colinm said:
ive been working a modified mount recently where i raise one knee up, so the bottom of my foot is flat on the ground, and then i make sure my heel is tight to their hip/side. i like it a lot.

i guess this must help with punching from the mount and make it more easier

Calibur said:
Ive never done full MMA unpadded. Ive always wondered why you rarely see a mount sweep in Profesional events (trap the arm/leg and sweep)

It seems really easy to pull off the sweep, even if they are high on your chest.

Any body got an answser on this?

Yes, about the upa, there is no reason it can't be done. Normally, guys who allow themselves to be mounted don't have that good of Jitz, so alot of the goofs don't seem to recognize it, or the ones who get mount are especially good jitz guys, and the ones who get mounted are shocked to be suddenly mounted/freak out with a good BJJ guy on top of them. But, yah, it works fine, we drill at my school all the time, I think the psychological effect of being mounted and feeling like you are about to be messed up really throws people off their game, unless they are experienced. I noticed alot of wrestlers, even ones who cross-train in jitz like Hughes, just sit there like a sitting duck or clutch their opponent.

Thats what i figured, but the people in FC events are miles better than me in grappling and I have never had a problem getting the upa while live sparring with strikes. its actually a lot easier to me.

I guess I will have to wait until my Pride debut to understand the difficulty. :/

Technical mount?

Ive always wondered why you rarely see a mount sweep in Profesional events (trap the arm/leg and sweep)

It seems really easy to pull off the sweep
<2>

I don't really strike until they tighten up defending submissions or put their hands up to not get hit. If they cover the face I like to go two on one and gift wrap them, then strike with impuntiy. They also cant completely cover their face and ear at the same time, so you can always hit one. I will get swept if I try to strike and hunt subs, but that might just be me.

Back