Kendrick Lamar gets a Pulitzer Prize.

200.gif

Not as bad as the Steelers tho.

No he is significantly worse. Tomlin would wreck him in a fight.

Kendrick Lamar burst on to the scene at a delicate time.

He's good but he's not that good. Fight me.
QlvugMJ.gif

Good enough to win a Pulitzer, with an album in the Harvard archives. As to burst on the scene at a delicate time? Section 80 sold like shit when it dropped. Hell GKMC took awhile for people to get its genius, there wasn't too much coming out of LA at the time and he, Q, Ab Soul, and Jay all formed Black Hippy and really brought LA hip hop back to its glory. With Dre and Snoop Dogg crowning Kendrick king of LA.

What's crazy is Meek Mill had the hardest diss track to Control (which really reignited a lot of hip hop when he dropped that fire.)

Which is even crazier when Drake fucking bodied him in their beef.

@AgonyandIrony I legit think it's adorable how hard you homer for everything you love.

'Chu mean by Homer?

Also yeah, imagine if you were my friend. I can talk the same way about folding eggs instead of scrambling, or how Red Orchestra 2 is a superior FPS game on PC to most but the servers are lacking.

Man life is meant to revel in excitement. Hate yourself, don't hate other people. We're all just people struggling to get through the day, but the majority of us aren't as talented or as eloquent as K-Dot and I think what he's doing is in many ways the equivalent to the Pulitzer Prize winning incredible author Frank McCourt and Angelas Ashes on growing up poor in Ireland. (followed by 'Tis, and Teacherman of course)

So many of us try to deny our differences, but I think struggle is universal but our struggle is singular and the way great artists depict struggle is what defines them and ultimately defines us.

So yeah, Kendrick deserves it, bro just look at early TDE stuff, Q and K-Dot before they were famous.

While not as polished, the rawness will come to dictate who they would become and I fucking love it.

He must be suffering imminent death syndrome. Poor fella.

LOL@ people still listening to Rap. Dude, the 90's are over, pull up your pants.

Good for Kendrick. Better than a hip hop Grammy. Great storyteller.

PRIDE. and FEAR. are masterful. The breakdown on DNA. still sends chills down my spine.

'Chu mean by Homer?

Also yeah, imagine if you were my friend. I can talk the same way about folding eggs instead of scrambling, or how Red Orchestra 2 is a superior FPS game on PC to most but the servers are lacking.

Man life is meant to revel in excitement. Hate yourself, don't hate other people. We're all just people struggling to get through the day, but the majority of us aren't as talented or as eloquent as K-Dot and I think what he's doing is in many ways the equivalent to the Pulitzer Prize winning incredible author Frank McCourt and Angelas Ashes on growing up poor in Ireland. (followed by 'Tis, and Teacherman of course)

So many of us try to deny our differences, but I think struggle is universal but our struggle is singular and the way great artists depict struggle is what defines them and ultimately defines us.

So yeah, Kendrick deserves it, bro just look at early TDE stuff, Q and K-Dot before they were famous.

While not as polished, the rawness will come to dictate who they would become and I fucking love it.

upload_2018-4-20_23-50-58.jpeg

Really talented guy who also come onto a scene when rap is at it's lowest point ever.

Just an example of how insane the world has become.
Absolutely insane.

'Chu mean by Homer?

I'm a fan of his, haha. I just don't take it so far. I'm glad you enjoy it like that. I have stuff I enjoy on that level and I know how cool the feeling is. Keep it up.

LOL at this too. See the above.

Donald Martino, the 1974 winner, said, "If you write music long enough, sooner or later, someone is going to take pity on you and give you the damn thing. It is not always the award for the best piece of the year; it has gone to whoever hasn't gotten it before."

Yet, Morrissey hasn't, despite being a legendary lyricist far above anyone in hip hop.
yeah sorry but I Spent the Day in Bed completely nullifies any respect people may have had for Morrissey as a “legendary lyricist”

As a hip hop fan, what fucking planet am i living on ? Lamar for a pullitzer.... Fuck now i remember why i dont listen to hip hop over the last decade much. Mumble rappers and everything else out is weak. Meek mills with a hard diss track hahaha sure thing.

Something something minnesota....minnesota minnesota some dude from minnesota.

Ita a bad day when i hope these rappers get shot simply for making shitty music.

Yet, Morrissey hasn't, despite being a legendary lyricist far above anyone in hip hop.

yeah, but Morrissey is such a fucking cunt, it would be a shame to give him anything.

I've heard him interviewed on the Stern show and heard people talk him up. I gave him a listen and just don't get what the hype is about . I grew up listening to rap it's not really my thing anymore but I'll still listen to some older stuff now an then. To me he's not doing anything special or ground breaking he's just another rapper

Yeah, same here. I saw this Pulitzer award news and went to check him out. Listened to a few of his songs and I dont get it. Quality music is quality music ,doesnt matter which and not saying his isnt cause im only briefly familiar now but for my taste Ive heard tons of better stuff for this genre.
Though they say its for "lyrics". I dunno about that true. However lets not forget how critics like to ascribe meaning to something. There are so many artists that were renowned for their lyrics but when asked said "wtf man,this aint no intergalactic love story, I wrote it about my cat Mr. Meows".

Really talented guy who also come onto a scene when rap is at it's lowest point ever.

The thing is, there are others making good hip hop out there, but they don't get the media coverage. It feels to me that the industry is bending over backwards to promote the dumbest hip hop possible. The fact that Kendrick has managed to sell well while also having a message in these dumbed-down times warrants extra respect.

Back