Kendrick Lamar gets a Pulitzer Prize.

Yet, Morrissey hasn't, despite being a legendary lyricist far above anyone in hip hop.
He's too controversial for many to credit, these days, but his songs have held up since the 80s, and even his latest solo album is pretty damn good.

Definitely deserved, imo. DAMN got me back into hip-hop and the artists putting out this level of music really elevate the genre above all the nonsense about bitches, money, and drugs.

Kendrick is alright but nothing crazy great. Rap these days as a whole be like:

care to elaborate on why?

C'mon man. Let's not pretend he was the most deserving candidate. He's a black rapper and that had more to do with him getting it than anything else.
Let's be real.

Really talented guy who also come onto a scene when rap is at it's lowest point ever.

True, but creatively I think he's doing more than rappers were doing when rap was at its highest point.

Nas imo is right up there when it comes to 90s rap. illmatic is a classic. But sonically and content-wise it feels like the other music coming out at the same time.

Yeah, same here. I saw this Pulitzer award news and went to check him out. Listened to a few of his songs and I dont get it. Quality music is quality music ,doesnt matter which and not saying his isnt cause im only briefly familiar now but for my taste Ive heard tons of better stuff for this genre.
Though they say its for "lyrics". I dunno about that true. However lets not forget how critics like to ascribe meaning to something. There are so many artists that were renowned for their lyrics but when asked said "wtf man,this aint no intergalactic love story, I wrote it about my cat Mr. Meows".
What songs did you listen to?

Yet, Morrissey hasn't, despite being a legendary lyricist far above anyone in hip hop.
I love Morrissey specifically as a lyricist(his voice is just OK) and I think Poetic Justice is better than anything he's ever written.

He deserves it. He's doing things with his art nobody in Hip Hop has done. Dissecting his songs might as well be solving a literary puzzle.
It's all been done.
Hes good for his era but as someone who knows the music in and out, he doesn't excite me at all.
Never got into his voice and his delivery isn't my favorite but I think hes in such a water down era that it's easy for him to shine in.

Guys like him and J. Cole would've been probably as popular as the Pharcyde was if they came out 25 years ago.

It's all been done.
Hes good for his era but as someone who knows the music in and out, he doesn't excite me at all.
Never got into his voice and his delivery isn't my favorite but I think hes in such a water down era that it's easy for him to shine in.

Guys like him and J. Cole would've been probably as popular as the Pharcyde was if they came out 25 years ago.

J. Cole I agree with, as he's definitely nothing special lyrically, but Kendrick nahh.

Labcabincalifornia is one of my top 20 albums of all time, but lyrically none of them was near Kendrick. Pharcyde albums were so great because of their beats and character.

0MQt1LY.gif

J. Cole I agree with, as he's definitely nothing special lyrically, but Kendrick nahh.

Labcabincalifornia is one of my top 20 albums of all time, but lyrically none of them was near Kendrick. Pharcyde albums were so great because of their beats and character.
I meant Just as in popularity context since the 90s had some many different avenues of Hip Hop that I think Kendrick simply just would've been in the run of the mill with those guys.
I don't think he would've gotten the appeal as someone like Biggie or Pac did. And I don't think he's lyrically at where Nas or Rakim was.
If he was from Linden Blvd and rapped with Tribe, I could see him having a following.
But him being from Compton and the era of the 90s.
I just dont see him getting out of the local club scene without getting his ass kicked repeatedly.
Different culture back then

https://www.economist.com/blogs/prospero/2018/04/damn

They do point out though, that TPAB and GKMC might be more important works of his but I understand why DAMN won.

To those of you who haven't listened to it, or aren't fans of hip hop and don't understand why it would win this Pitchfork article explains it very well.

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/23147-damn/

Maybe not as forward moving (ironic because DAMN is considered by many to be a double album. One where the story goes both ways, and made to be listened to from front to back and back to front for two stories) as GKMC, which was one of the best modern storytelling I've seen in a musical artist in a very long time.

https://www.stereogum.com/1702657/c...d-kendrick-lamars-good-kid-m-a-a-d-city/news/

I find this to be well deserved, a once in a lifetime artist.

Well i guess is fair, given that bob dylan got a nobel. America trash wins again!

Kendrick is fine, but he's biting Outkast's style very, very badly. Everything sounds like he sat down and listened to the entire ATLiens album before he sits down to write and then again before he goes in the booth.

Nas is at least as good lyrically, and a few others in the mainstream, and there are at least a dozen others too when you include backpack hip hop.

I meant Just as in popularity context since the 90s had some many different avenues of Hip Hop that I think Kendrick simply just would've been in the run of the mill with those guys.
I don't think he would've gotten the appeal as someone like Biggie or Pac did. And I don't think he's lyrically at where Nas or Rakim was.
If he was from Linden Blvd and rapped with Tribe, I could see him having a following.
But him being from Compton and the era of the 90s.
I just dont see him getting out of the local club scene without getting his ass kicked repeatedly.
Different culture back then

Rakim was ahead if his time and Nas was great, but I don't think Nas was the artist that Kendrick is, but part of that might be because he didn't have the access to the musicians and resources that Kendrick has. The other part is that Nas tended to play it more safely.

On Kendrick getting "his ass kicked repeatedly" he was born and raised in Compton and was gang affiliated... I'm sure he would have been fine. Dre didn't get his ass kicked (despite his fruity dressing past), so what makes you think Kendrick would?

Rakim was ahead if his time and Nas was great, but I don't think Nas was the artist that Kendrick is, but part of that might be because he didn't have the access to the musicians and resources that Kendrick has. The other part is that Nas tended to play it more safely.

On Kendrick getting "his ass kicked repeatedly" he was born and raised in Compton and was gang affiliated... I'm sure he would have been fine. Dre didn't get his ass kicked (despite his fruity dressing past), so what makes you think Kendrick would?
How did Nas ever play it safe? Did you ever listen to Stillmatic? That whole album needs to be wrapped in caution tape. Plus the song Rewind... fuuuuuck.

The first time I listened to Kendrick was in October of last year, and it was a live event. He put on a hell of a show, I really enjoyed it. Congratulations to him on the Pulitzer.

Kayne is Producing Nas next LP. Comes on in June.

<BirdieOwn><BirdieOwn><BirdieOwn><BirdieOwn>

Back