Kendrick Lamar gets a Pulitzer Prize.

How long do we have to keep pretending that hip hop is some complex, high culture shit? Are people just doing this to make black people feel better? It really isn't.

Kendrick is the best of a bad bunch, some of the trap stuff these days is horrifically bad, genuinely looks like something out of One Flew over the Cuckoos Nest. A bunch of mumbling retards dancing like they have nervous system disorders, it's laughable. Seems like all you have to do is dye your dreadlocks pink, draw some shitty jail tattoos on your face and call yourself Lil' something these days to sell records. Awful, awful stuff.

Rakim was ahead if his time and Nas was great, but I don't think Nas was the artist that Kendrick is, but part of that might be because he didn't have the access to the musicians and resources that Kendrick has. The other part is that Nas tended to play it more safely.

On Kendrick getting "his ass kicked repeatedly" he was born and raised in Compton and was gang affiliated... I'm sure he would have been fine. Dre didn't get his ass kicked (despite his fruity dressing past), so what makes you think Kendrick would?
Dre got his ass kicked.
His brother got his ass kicked and killed.
Compton was known for that. You think Black Hippy would've sat well with a 1988 or 1993 audience from Compton? Fuck No.

And Nas is a top 3 emcee of all time while Kendrick is no where close.
Kendrick will never make an album like Illmatic.
Probably no one will.
But I don't think you could sit here with anyone who knows Hip hop and say Kendricks a better artist than Nas.

How long do we have to keep pretending that hip hop is some complex, high culture shit? Are people just doing this to make black people feel better? It really isn't.

Kendrick is the best of a bad bunch, some of the trap stuff these days is horrifically bad, genuinely looks like something out of One Flew over the Cuckoos Nest. A bunch of mumbling retards dancing like they have nervous system disorders, it's laughable. Seems like all you have to do is dye your dreadlocks pink, draw some shitty jail tattoos on your face and call yourself Lil' something these days to sell records. Awful, awful stuff.

Are you an agent?

Dre got his ass kicked.
Compton was known for that. You think Black Hippy would've sat well with a 1988 or 1993 audience from Compton? Fuck No.

Probably no one will.
But I don't think you could sit here with anyone who knows Hip hop and say Kendricks a better artist than Nas.

It's all subjective. Nas doesn't make a lot of people's top 3's, Biggie doesn't make a lot of people's top 3's, neither does Big L.

Kendrick is only 3 albums into his career and all of them are top notch. At a similar stage of his career, Nas had already dropped the ball.

On your comments about Black Hippy, they wouldn't have been the same if they came out then. Times change, bro.

This is why the hip hop community can't get along. SMH.

Dre got his ass kicked.

Probably no one will.

Also, a quote from Nas himself on Kendrick, who he seems to have a lot of respect for:

Most definitely. There’s not many like him. He’s a breath of fresh air. His shit is genius. This dude’s a rhyming animal. I feel like he’s going to be one of the most important writers of our time as we watch him go forward. Without a question, you can already see that.

http://www.complex.com/music/2014/07/nas-kendrick-lamar-interview

It's all subjective. Nas doesn't make a lot of people's top 3's, Biggie doesn't make a lot of people's top 3's, neither does Big L.

Kendrick is only 3 albums into his career and all of them are top notch. At a similar stage of his career, Nas had already dropped the ball.

On your comments about Black Hippy, they wouldn't have been the same if they came out then. Times change, bro.

This is why the hip hop community can't get along. SMH.
I don't know anyone respectable that doesnt have Nas in their top 5.
Big L, is the Len Bias of rap. (Basketball reference for those that don't know)
Really with only one album completed before he died, he can't really be a top 5 guy.
Biggie had numerous guests spots and had 2 albums completed when he died and both were classics.
Big L was a very elite lyricist but his two albums weren't up to par with the other guys mentioned, but had he not been killed, I think he would've been up there with Nas, Pac, Rakim, Kane, and so on.

And Kendrick has 4 albums, 5 mixtapes and an EP.
So he has plenty of work to choose from.

Also Nas faltered a tad after Illmatic(1994), as any artist would since its one of the greatest, if not greatest hip hop cd ever.
It Was Written(1996), is a good cd, and is more appreciated over time. His next two were just mediocre. Nothing special, he tried going commercial and it didn't work for him while it was working for Jay Z.
But this is where your wrong.

Kendricks first studio album Section.80 dropped 7 years ago.
Nas dropped Stillmatic(2001) 7 years into his career which brought the classic Ether response to Jay Zs Takevoer.

So at this point in his career Nas was embarking on the King of NY and defeating the biggest guy in rap at the time.

I don't know anyone respectable that doesnt have Nas in their top 5.
Big L, is the Len Bias of rap. (Basketball reference for those that don't know)
Really with only one album completed before he died, he can't really be a top 5 guy.
Biggie had numerous guests spots and had 2 albums completed when he died and both were classics.
Big L was a very elite lyricist but his two albums weren't up to par with the other guys mentioned, but had he not been killed, I think he would've been up there with Nas, Pac, Rakim, Kane, and so on.

And Kendrick has 4 albums, 5 mixtapes and an EP.
So he has plenty of work to choose from.

Also Nas faltered a tad after Illmatic(1994), as any artist would since its one of the greatest, if not greatest hip hop cd ever.
It Was Written(1996), is a good cd, and is more appreciated over time. His next two were just mediocre. Nothing special, he tried going commercial and it didn't work for him while it was working for Jay Z.
But this is where your wrong.

Kendricks first studio album Section.80 dropped 7 years ago.
Nas dropped Stillmatic(2001) 7 years into his career which brought the classic Ether response to Jay Zs Takevoer.

So at this point in his career Nas was embarking on the King of NY and defeating the biggest guy in rap at the time.

Let's agree to disagree. You talk in absolutes about subjective matters. You don't rate Kendrick as highly as I do, but other that we more or less agree on who the greats are.

I grew up listening to Nas, but I think that Kendrick's last 3 albums trump any 3 albums that Nas has produced.

Kendrick used to be one of my favorites, he came to the Lou during his section 80 tour and I saw him. He was amazing, and I recognize his skills as a lyricist but I just can't get into his new shit. He is trying to be the new pac and talks about nothing but racism and how bad cops are, im not trying to listen to all that when I'm just chillin listening to music.

I prefer J. Cole these days, he has the right balance of lyrics, beat and flow. He talks about real shit just in a different way than Kendrick does.

I like Kendrick but he's getting overrated at this point.

whenever someone posts something like this u know u can put them on ignore and you will actually have improved your life

whenever someone posts something like this u know u can put them on ignore and you will actually have improved your life

It was only a matter of time before the “they only gave it to him because affirmative action” crowd came in.

I'm not the biggest fan of Damn, but I'd put Good Kid, MAAD City up there with the great albums along with Illmatic, Ready To Die, 36 Chambers, Step In The Arena, Midnight Marauders etc.

As far as Black Hippy, black people are just more accepting of weird shit these days. Kendrick is well protected in Compton. He's not a Blood, but he's been sponsored by the Bloods since he started. Schoolboy Q is an actual Crip, he's just a weird motherfucker.

Back