PC Kenshi

PBAC

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
So I got Kenshi having some limited understanding what the game is about. I've heard raving reviews for it but one of the reasons I didn't get it was because the whole ''no story and build your own adventure stuff'' just reminded me an empty reskinnable sandbox game. It also seems hugely time consuming.

I started and ran around for 5 mins. I start in a town with a message to figure it out. Couldn't find anything to do, so I turned it off.

So yeah, at the start what is the aim if you are just dropped naked into a village?

It's a pretty fun game once you get going. It's like rimworld. You can do anything you want. Game is hard and weird in the beginning because you don't understand anything. There are some traits you can pick to make the beginning easier. The game is gigantic with way too many factions. It becomes easier when you know how to farm early game or how to cheese gaining stats.

I don't know if you want to learn on your own or try to look up a guide to help you start out. You are supposed to try and die a few times then progressively get better.

Edit: try to head to the hub. You can use the guards to kill stuff and mine surrounding areas.

Last edited:
So I got Kenshi having some limited understanding what the game is about. I've heard raving reviews for it but one of the reasons I didn't get it was because the whole ''no story and build your own adventure stuff'' just reminded me an empty reskinnable sandbox game. It also seems hugely time consuming.

I started and ran around for 5 mins. I start in a town with a message to figure it out. Couldn't find anything to do, so I turned it off.

So yeah, at the start what is the aim if you are just dropped naked into a village?
the early game is basically;

- Mine stone to sell for money and train strength
- try and recruit at least one more character, send one to go fight dust bandits (you will 100% lose, this is a good thing). this will grant you defense and weapon skills (or martial arts bare fist). The other character is to pick up your near dead body and run you to a bed to recover.
- Once you have some skills lure some bandits to the ninja bar close to town and stomp them with the guards. Loot body for armor and weapons.

After that....... You are on your own. Do you want to be the next Lincoln and free the slaves? Do it.

Do you want to have your own plantation with slaves and shit and make the next big town. Do it.

Do you want to be a bounty hunter? Well DO IT.

Seriously you can be fucking anything in this game.

MASSIVE learning curves but well worth it, took me probably 3 attempts to get into it.

It's pretty awesome when you get going but very painful at the start. Basically you need to get as close to death as possibke without dying and progress your stats.
This means running around with backpacks, losing fights and running from stgrong enemies. Then one day you are spin kicking beak things and decapitating everyone with your bionic arms.

It's actually one of the best games I have played, just avoid blood spiders early.

Oh yea you can boost your strength. Pick up a body and just run around in town. Your main stat to max out is athletics. That is just running around and exploring. Once you get like 20-30 then you can outrun anyone. Mining is also very important to generate some cash. It creates a lot of encumbrance so you can train strength. Look out for dead bodies in terms of big battles and loot their bodies. That will give you money for the beginning of the game and some armor.

Personally I don't fight until I get around a few followers. You can speed up the process by training stats. You can max out their stat by sending yourself or them to their doom. You game the system by sending them to get beat down then using the other person to pick up their body to place in bed. You pretty much rinse and repeat until the toughness or whatever melee stat starts to go up. Stats>numbers in this game. The game seems like hordes are going to zerg you but combat is sort of on a 1v1 basis. They just come at you one at a time.

This game is actually pretty fun. It's shitty old graphics but you can absolutely do anything you want. Only real complaint is that the camera angle is shit sometimes.

the early game is basically;

- Mine stone to sell for money and train strength
- try and recruit at least one more character, send one to go fight dust bandits (you will 100% lose, this is a good thing). this will grant you defense and weapon skills (or martial arts bare fist). The other character is to pick up your near dead body and run you to a bed to recover.
- Once you have some skills lure some bandits to the ninja bar close to town and stomp them with the guards. Loot body for armor and weapons.

After that....... You are on your own. Do you want to be the next Lincoln and free the slaves? Do it.

Do you want to have your own plantation with slaves and shit and make the next big town. Do it.

Do you want to be a bounty hunter? Well DO IT.

Seriously you can be fucking anything in this game.

MASSIVE learning curves but well worth it, took me probably 3 attempts to get into it.
well there's the thing. Im just starting in the hub, ran around taking items. Do I need anything to mine.

I gather it's the sort of game you shouldn't use a guide for which is why I'm asking here

well there's the thing. Im just starting in the hub, ran around taking items. Do I need anything to mine.

I gather it's the sort of game you shouldn't use a guide for which is why I'm asking here
From memory you just right click on the stone.I usually get my starts in Squinn. My last run was via the Prison start which is effectively easy mode.

I ended up OP pretty quick. I might have to play again soon to be honest, I always rush my own town but think I might do a travelling run and explore the world for a change.

just right click the ore node.

Dont be afraid to overload yourself as well build up them muscles.

Also go get beaten up good to make you tough ;)

Back