Kentucky Derby...and Beyond?

Went a little too quick early dueling with that other horse on the lead otherwise he probably would have won for us. Oh well. Was worth a shot.
Most definitely. I'm no expert but I thought he had a good run overall. Maybe keep an eye on him in the future?

$50 says this #4 horse we're backing finishes 2nd. Of course she will. She's an E2 play.

Most definitely. I'm no expert but I thought he had a good run overall. Maybe keep an eye on him in the future?

If we can remember his name that is the type of run and trip note that's worth playing next time out since the effort was better than the result, and he'll likely go off at longer odds than what his realistic chances are.

"Looks like you came in 2nd." - so said Mike Smith in that commercial

I think he was speaking about my day today.

I think that 4th there was the worst finish of the day for me with the horses I backed. I believe the rest of them all finished on the board. Not that I have much to show for it mind you.

Actually I think I did have another 4th place finisher earlier in the day.

That last one ruined a 9 race streak of E2 types finishing inside the top 3.

Another quick start, looks like he might've got squeezed in near the end? Looks like the horse to his left bothered him a bit, was leaning his head towards that horse down the stretch or close to it.

Another quick start, looks like he might've got squeezed in near the end? Looks like the horse to his left bothered him a bit, was leaning his head towards that horse down the stretch or close to it.

Let's leave the excuses off to the side in this last race here, bud. i.e. Winners don't need any.

I can somehow still salvage a profit on the day if this guy gets it done for us.

Let's leave the excuses off to the side in this last race here, bud. i.e. Winners don't need any.
Let's go horse's name I don't quite know how to pronounce....uhhhh let's go 6 Horse!!

We'll get em next time, man. Still a lot of good performances from the looks of it, just too many shows instead of the big win payouts. Gotta take something positive out of that, at least. Thanks for all the plays, win or lose it's a fun ride, pun intended.

I just finished blindly betting another horse to place who had the E2 angle going for him at Mountaineer of all places. His name is Bank of Dad. And yes, he finished 2nd. That brings the E2 horses record for the weekend 2-7-4 out of 17 starters.

Damn, I wasn't home much this weekend and missed out on all the fun. How'd you make out overall @Sharkey if you don't mind me asking?

Damn, I wasn't home much this weekend and missed out on all the fun. How'd you make out overall @Sharkey if you don't mind me asking?

I was terrible on Saturday, T. I had some bad luck on a couple of races, but for the most part my horses didn't run a lick. Yesterday was better, but still a loss on the day. I hit a bunch of place bets on E2 horses, but my wins bets were just not getting it done. Only cashed with 1 short priced winner yesterday.

I did see something in the way Del Mar was playing this past weekend that I hope to take advantage of over the next week, though. Meaning that the track was playing very favourably to horses sitting an outside trip 2 or 3 paths off the rail. Much like it did on BC weekend. Seemed like almost every race was won by an outside stalking trip or an outside mid-pack runner at the track, so those are the types I'll look for this next weekend until the track is showing otherwise. Starts with upgrading horses who draw in a mid or outside gate in the post position draws.

And obviously horses with that E2 angle I like so much were generally running really well over the weekend too. I'll continue to look at those horses to finish 2nd or 3rd in the days ahead as well. I might even try to key a few underneath in exactas and maybe even some tris in the days ahead.

I was terrible on Saturday, T. I had some bad luck on a couple of races, but for the most part my horses didn't run a lick. Yesterday was better, but still a loss on the day. I hit a bunch of place bets on E2 horses, but my wins bets were just not getting it done. Only cashed with 1 short priced winner yesterday.

I did see something in the way Del Mar was playing this past weekend that I hope to take advantage of over the next week, though. Meaning that the track was playing very favourably to horses sitting an outside trip 2 or 3 paths off the rail. Much like it did on BC weekend. Seemed like almost every race was won by an outside stalking trip or an outside mid-pack runner at the track, so those are the types I'll look for this next weekend until the track is showing otherwise. Starts with upgrading horses who draw in a mid or outside gate in the post position draws.

And obviously horses with that E2 angle I like so much were generally running really well over the weekend too. I'll continue to look at those horses to finish 2nd or 3rd in the days ahead as well. I might even try to key a few underneath in exactas and maybe even some tris in the days ahead.

I just looked it up, and of the 15 races ran on dirt over the weekend at Del Mar, 11 of the winners came after having one of the 3 most outer posts to start the race. Horses who had drawn one of the 3 most inner posts to start the race only won 2 of the 15 dirt races. 12 of 15 races were won by a horse drawing in the gates outer half of the field, and only 3 of 15 were won by a horse drawing on the inner half.

Ahh, damn. It seemed like maybe you came out ahead on Sunday skimming through your posts quickly. But, win or learn as they say and it seems like you've done just that.

Hopefully better luck for you this week, bud.

Ahh, damn. It seemed like maybe you came out ahead on Sunday skimming through your posts quickly. But, win or learn as they say and it seems like you've done just that.

Hopefully better luck for you this week, bud.

Cheers T. I only suffered a small loss yesterday, so it too wasn't bad. Like $30 or so, and I think I ended up betting more than $200 on the day in total. Could've been worse, and I'm still somehow in the black since opening my account just before the BC.

You always got to be willing to learn and add/subtract ideas in this game. No matter if you're just starting out or if you've been doing it for 50 years.

Back