Kentucky Derby...and Beyond?

I'm thinking of going this way for the Rebel after watching some races;

- #1 Title Ready to win and place for $10/$20
- #3 Solomini over #1 Title Ready, #10 Combatant in a pair of exactas for $10 each.

I really, really like the way Title Ready ran his last race. Mind you, he didn't beat much in it in an allowance race. It's just the manner in which he did it that was impressive. He was caught in between horses for the first half mile of the race, which, as you guys know, is a pretty terrible position for a horse to be in getting pressured from both sides. He was also right up there up close to a pretty fast pace in a race shape that spaced the field out and that favoured horses that came from midpack in the race. The horse that was outside him early faded to last late, and the big favourite he was outside the whole way faded to 4th during the stretch. The 2nd and 3rd place finishers came from 5th and 7th early. Title Ready put away the other two horses that were challenging him early, and was moving with even more energy than the closing types at the end in which he won by 3+ lengths. Again, he didn't meet much in the race, and he did shorten his stride a bit at the end despite the fact that he was still moving well. But that is easily excusable given the early pace pressure he got from both sides earlier in the race. Other than that, it's hard to knock his effort with him doing such a good job overcoming adversity and winning against the race shape, and doing so with the energy and fluid running motion he did it with. Very nice effort from him in what was his first race in over 2 months. He ran with much more maturity than he did as a two year-old and could be one of those many who are just getting good at the right time. This race is obviously a big class test for him, though. But he'll be a good price. Probably even well into double digit odds since there's very little buzz about him.

Not sure if you guys remember, but when My Boy Jack won the Smarty Jones a few weeks ago the Oaklawn track was playing heavily in favour of inside runners that day. I think there was like 4 or 5 races in a row where the #1 horse ended up winning the race, including My Boy Jack. That bias is still there at the track from what I can see. I watched some other two turn races at the track covering the last couple of weeks and inside runners are winning almost everything regardless if they break from an inside post or not, which most of them are doing. Brisnet also lists the data covering the last week, and while it's only a small sample size of 10 races at 8.5 furlongs at the track, their stats are saying that posts 1-3 have an impact value of 2.21 with an average winning percentage of each post inside being at 27%. Posts 4-7 are at 3% and a 0.21 impact value. Posts 8+ are 6% and 0.64 impact value. Horses needed an inside trip a few weeks ago at the track, and it's looking like they still need one here. The post position draw is already factored in the number each horse gets of course, but Title Ready and Solomini would look even better on their final numbers if post position recency was factored more heavily. Combatant might not be affected as much since he likes to come from off the pace and might have an opportunity to get down near the rail before the 1st turn. But Sporting Chance may find himself in tough from a trip perspective breaking from the 7 post, though, since he likes to sit up fairly close to the early pace, which the same can be said for at least 5 of the runners breaking inside of him, if not all 6. At the risk of going way wide around the 1st turn and getting stuck out there all the way around the track, his jock may be forced to gun him out of the gate. Or to take back and force Sporting Chance into a running style that he's never tried before and that isn't his game. Neither situation is good for him, so he even though he ranks highly on the number, I think I'm going to try to beat him out of the exacta for sure and the trifecta as well if I do decide to play a few of those too.

I hate the way Zing Zang runs. Even moreso since parrots out there like to repeat the "he reminds me of Creator" narrative like it's an original thought of theirs (it isn't...they're just parroting). They're both grey horses sired by Tapit who liked to sit back early in a race, and both were/are trained by Asmussen. Other than that there's not much the same with those two. The biggest difference being that Creator was a long striding type with enough athletic ability to make up a ton of ground in the far turn and put himself in a position to win races. Zing Zang is a pure big boned plodding type who couldn't take a corner if his life depended on it, and because he lacks any kind of agility to corner, he has to wait til he hits a straight line before he unleashes his late kick. Creator was actually good and a true G1 caliber horse as @BluntTrauma21 could attest to. Zing Zang is anything but good, and would likely struggle to even win allowance races. But saying that, I could be talked into using him at the very bottom of a tri or super for this race today since he is going to be passing some horses late. I don't want to use Sporting Chance considering the trip I see him having the potential to get, and I'd rather not use Magnum Moon at a short price. That would make Zing Zang the next highest on the numbers. Any turd can finish 3rd or 4th, though, so maybe.

Just saw that the race isn't taking place til after 4 pm my time, and I'm probably going to miss it live. So I'm going to have to lock in some plays early and decided on these;

- #1 Title Ready to win and place for $10/$20
- #3 Solomini over #1 Title Ready, #10 Combatant in a pair of exactas for $10 each
- #1 Title Ready over #3 Solomini, #10 Combatant in a pair of exactas for $5 each

I don't know if I'll play any tris yet. But if I do I'll be structuring them like so; #1, #3 over #1, #3, #10 over #1, #3, #9, #10. I probably won't though, just because I really don't care for a horse like Zing Zang even if he does stand a fair chance to clunk up in 3rd or 4th.

The last round of Derby preps is starting next week with the Louisiana Derby which has already been drawn;

1st - Magnum Moon
2nd - Solomini
3rd - Combatant
4th - Title Ready
5th - Sporting Chance

I just watched the replay and I'm pretty proud of the way Title Ready ran considering they let him go off at near 15/1. Was the only longshot to have any impact on the race too, as he was still sitting in 2nd as they neared the final half furlong of the race. Faded a little bit late, but was still only a length and a half back of Solomini in 2nd at the line. Gave me a shot to cash a decent place bet at least, so that's really all I can ask of him. Zing Zang passed a few horses late to finish 6th, but he was way back there about 5 lengths out of 5th. Sporting Chance did get the wide trip all around the track that I thought he'd get, and Combatant found the rail pretty quickly too. I think this was one of the better prep races we've seen this year as far as the quality of the horses went.

The numbers for the G2 Louisiana Derby on Saturday, which is the first 100 point Derby prep race this spring;

==========

#2 Noble Indy (7/2) - 505.8
#9 My Boy Jack (5/2) - 505.5
#1 Bravazo (7/2) - 489.3
#7 Snapper Sinclair (9/2) - 486.5
#10 Dark Templar (12/1) - 484.5
#6 Hyndford (8/1) - 477.0
#8 Lone Sailor (20/1) - 476.4
#4 Givemeaminit (20/1) - 475.8
#5 Retirement Fund (12/1) - 473.2
#3 Marmello (50/1) - 450.3

==========

Kind of a crappy field considering the amount of points on the line all things considered. I was also hoping both Lone Sailor and Givemeaminit looked a little better on the numbers too as I've liked them in the past and I was kinda hoping to play them a little bit this race considering the amount of early speed and what their odds will look like. I may still do that since there's really not many appealing options in this race beyond the top 2 on the number and they're not out of range beyond those. Maybe something like this;

Noble Indy, My Boy Jack over Noble Indy, My Boy Jack, Lone Sailor, Givemeaminit

Maybe.

I've warmed up quite a bit to Dark Templar for this race today after going back and watching his races last night. He'll need to improve to compete for the win today, but there are signs with him that it could be coming with his positive race (gradual improvements from his 2 year-old form and paired up his last two races) and workout patterns. Visually he looks okay too being a hard trying, long striding type who has enough athletic ability to get position regardless of how a race is ran. He also looks like a stayer as well, meaning that today's distance shouldn't be an issue for him. He's gained ground in each of his last two route races, and three of his four career races. He's been a little green in his previous races at times (especially getting a good start), but if he runs with a little more maturity today I think he's got a great shot to hit the board at what should be a very good price since nobody is talking about him anywhere. He's also the most expensive horse in the field at nearly a half million as a 2 year-old, so good results in races like these are expected of him. Ranks 5th on the numbers, but only a few points out of 3rd. Mind you, he's not that far ahead of the 9th ranked horse either. He might end up being the value in this race seeing as how Noble Indy and My Boy Jack figure to be the top two choices (in that order I'm thinking), with both Lone Sailor and Givemeaminit also getting pockets of support out there. I suspect the latter two even go off shorter than Dark Templar despite what the morning line says. So with that I'm thinking this;

- #10 Dark Templar to win and place for $10/$15 at 10/1 or higher, which I think will easily be the case
- #2 Noble Indy, #9 My Boy Jack, #10 Dark Templar over #2 Noble Indy, #9 My Boy Jack, #10 Dark Templar, #8 Lone Sailor, #4 Givemeaminit in various exactas for $5 each save for the #2 & #9 combination which will be for $10 each

Unless my math is off that should equal $100 in total.

I'm basically trying to beat the shorter prices like Bravazo and Snapper Sinclair out of the exacta. I think both of them have the look of regression for today. Bravazo has already developed a lot from his 2 year-old form, and is coming into this race after back-to-back tough races where he just got his nose in front at the line. He has the looks of a horse who peaked already and without the class to sustain that peak. Snapper Sinclair looks similar. Has already developed a lot since 2, may have peaked last time out as a huge longshot, and also has the added concern that he's been giving up ground in each of his last 4 races at shorter distances than this. Couple that fact with his sprint heavy pedigree and he doesn't look so hot as a 9F horse at what will be a rather shortish price.

Christ, it seems like almost every preview or opinion of this race I've read is pointing towards Lone Sailor, Givemeaminit, or both as the longshot to play in the Louisiana Derby. Seems to be a lot of 'group think' or parroting going on, and I'm really not sure I want any part of it afterall. They're interesting to me at 20/1. But not in the 10/1 range that it seems they may up being in the end. Which is okay since I'd rather not play 5 horses in total this race anyways.

I may just go $10/$15 on Dark Templar (or maybe $5/$10/$10 and include a show bet as well), and then box him, Noble Indy and My Boy Jack in the exacta with the latter two for $10 each, and the 4 combos with Dark Templar for $5. We'll see, though. Maybe one of Lone Sailor and Givemeaminit will still be playable in 2nd if they do end up close to 20/1.

I'm gonna try the #5 Powder here in race 3 at Santa Anita. Should be the favourite this race I'm thinking yet isn't.

#7 Ima Wildcat for me here in race 9 at Gulfstream.

The bum had the lead off the turn and looked to have 2nd at least in the stretch, yet faded to 4th at the line

Gonna try the #8 Shamrocked to win & show in race 7 at Aqueduct.

What a fucking bum. Okay, enough of this shit.

Our old buddy, Good Samaritan, gets another G2 win with a last to first move in the New Orleans Handicap. He may have a big year ahead of him with the retirements of Gun Runner, Arrogate, and some other good ones from last year having gone sour.

Lone Sailor opens at 7/1, so yeah, no thanks. Givemeaminit is a much more playable 16/1 with Dark Templar at 23/1 so far.

Alright, I'm in since the will pays say only Lone Sailor is the unplayable one;

- #10 Dark Templar to win, place, and show for $5/$10/$10
- #2 Noble Indy, #9 My Boy Jack, #10 Dark Templar over the #2 Noble Indy, #9 My Boy Jack, #10 Dark Templar, and #4 Givemeaminit in various exactas ($5 each save for the #2 & #9 combo, which is $10 each)

We'll see how it plays out. Hopefully okay.

1st - Noble Indy
2nd - Lone Sailor
3rd - My Boy Jack
4th - Givemeaminit

Fuck my life.

What's that old saying "if you think long..."?

I feel so sick right now. Nobody to blame but myself, though.

Back