Keto vs Intermittent fasting?

If you do a 16-8 Intermittent Fast and follow a low carb diet, you will burn fat very quickly with minimal hit to the muscles. In summery, DO BOTH!

Yeah i know, it's my main vice and i need to stop. Ive been drinking for a week now. Broke up with my gf and need to turns things around

I went from 180 pounds to 224 just from drinking between 2 and 4 beers everyday for about 6 months. My diet and physical activity were the same.

You don't even really need a keto diet or do intermittent fasting as long as you eat relatively healthy.

Both you and me know the problem is the drinking and as soon as you stop that you'll get back to your original weight pretty quickly.

IF got me down 31 or so pounds in about 7 months. It really does work. I recommend closing your eating window first to 12 or 10 hours and then slowly get to 8. Maybe an hour off per week. Honestly though, it's really not as hard as people say, ESPECIALLY women.

I got to 6 hours easily and have now transitioned to a 23 hour fast, basically eating one meal a day. I've done 42, 48 and 71 hour fasts. You're a lot tougher than you think you are, especially Sherdoggers. Hahaha. I eat big, filling meals, but I don't binge. You'll feel like shit if you do, so you pretty much have to eat healthy to feel good. I have treats at the end of my meal.

If you need any other tips, let me know. Also, you can combine IF and keto for better results, but it's best to master one before adding the other. Good luck, dawg!

I did a 5 day fast which put me into ketosis. I got ripped as hell. I didn’t notice much muscle loss. Stored carbohydrates retaines water. So most of the shrinking was probably due to having less water in my body. I’m going to try a 7 day fast.

If you do a 16-8 Intermittent Fast and follow a low carb diet, you will burn fat very quickly with minimal hit to the muscles. In summery, DO BOTH!
I did this several years ago, lost 20 lbs in about 2 months. Noticed I could also eat more calories on it and lose weight faster than what I was doing before 600-800 more calories. I just made sure I was below 25 net carbs a day. It's a bit weird how people say you just need to count calories. I did that for more than a year and weight loss was slow as hell, and i eventually stalled even after cutting more calories.

I'm a 100% disabled Army captain, with an SBS (Spenobasilar Symphasis) Override with sidebending. My walk-around head pain is 8-9/10, and most exercise is like hitting myself in the head with a brick.

My Specs:

Height: 6' 0" -- 182 cm

I started at 212 lbs./96.16 kg in early November 2018, and hit 180.2 lbs/ 81.73 by EOM January 2019. I've taken a break, and have seem to hit a set point at 184 pounds. I combined intermittent fasting with a bastardized form of the Ketogenic diet I made from parts of several diets that made common sense to me. Mostly I did it keeping my mouth shut, and replacing my comfort eating with drinking water with electrolytes. Not cheap/not expensive/usually not very hungry.

I am taking a break because I'm afraid shorting myself on carbs for so long just might be a little stupid. And, I want to try to add some lean muscle, and I haven't got a clue how to make that happen while on keto and doing intermittent fasting. The upside has been that the ketones really help with my pain. Supposedly, they are 50x-100x better than NSAIDS, and 10x better than steroids for inflamation.

Bottom Line Question: can I grow lean muscle on keto? Thanks for listening.

I'm a 100% disabled Army captain, with an SBS (Spenobasilar Symphasis) Override with sidebending. My walk-around head pain is 8-9/10, and most exercise is like hitting myself in the head with a brick.

My Specs:

Height: 6' 0" -- 182 cm

I started at 212 lbs./96.16 kg in early November 2018, and hit 180.2 lbs/ 81.73 by EOM January 2019. I've taken a break, and have seem to hit a set point at 184 pounds. I combined intermittent fasting with a bastardized form of the Ketogenic diet I made from parts of several diets that made common sense to me. Mostly I did it keeping my mouth shut, and replacing my comfort eating with drinking water with electrolytes. Not cheap/not expensive/usually not very hungry.

I am taking a break because I'm afraid shorting myself on carbs for so long just might be a little stupid. And, I want to try to add some lean muscle, and I haven't got a clue how to make that happen while on keto and doing intermittent fasting. The upside has been that the ketones really help with my pain. Supposedly, they are 50x-100x better than NSAIDS, and 10x better than steroids for inflamation.

Bottom Line Question: can I grow lean muscle on keto? Thanks for listening.

Yes, it's possible. You need to eat more calories than your maintenance in order to do so. Here's a calculator you can use to measure your macros: https://www.ketogains.com/calculator/

I'm about to get fat again and I want to avoid that. Usually when I need to correct my life and get back on track with weight I did "Low car" aka keto. Lately I've also heard some things about intermittent fast. Can someone share their opinions on the differences. I'd like to lose 10-15 lbs.
I have been doing intermittent fasting for 4 years straight. Ive managed to drop from 82kg to 70kg and i stay at the same weight all the time. IF is amazing, especially if you smoke pot. When you push that first meal to around 8 hours after you wake up, it tastes a million times better combined with the pot. But the weight loss isnt the only thing, a study has shown that fasting can increase HGH (Human Growth Hormon) up to 5-fold, so not only are you losing weight, you are also becoming an anabolic machine. You will get stronger, leaner and healthier.

I have been doing intermittent fasting for 4 years straight. Ive managed to drop from 82kg to 70kg and i stay at the same weight all the time. IF is amazing, especially if you smoke pot. When you push that first meal to around 8 hours after you wake up, it tastes a million times better combined with the pot. But the weight loss isnt the only thing, a study has shown that fasting can increase HGH (Human Growth Hormon) up to 5-fold, so not only are you losing weight, you are also becoming an anabolic machine. You will get stronger, leaner and healthier.

That study you're talking about also showed the HGH spike happening at around 36 hours into a fast.

Whatever the individual can stick too the best.

You intermitently fast every night in bed , makes sense for me to eat food in the day , just be in a deficit and you ill loose weight.

Keto is too intense and chews through muscle , ive done every diet known over the past 26 years , been stage lean (4-5%) bodyfat around 20 times , not getting fat in the first place is the key.

Keto is too intense and chews through muscle

I've had the exact opposite effect while being in ketosis. I find I'm able to keep my calories higher while losing fat mass as compared to simply cutting calories.

I've had the exact opposite effect while being in ketosis. I find I'm able to keep my calories higher while losing fat mass as compared to simply cutting calories.

You're able to keep your calories higher by... keeping your calories higher... instead of cutting your calories?

Maybe you're retaining more muscle because you're in a more modest deficit on keto.

Maybe you could also retain more muscle by being on a more modest deficit and still eating carbs.

Some of your weight loss due to keto is purely water. So even if you kept calories at maintenance, you'd drop a quick 7-10 pounds.

You're able to keep your calories higher by... keeping your calories higher... instead of cutting your calories?

Maybe you're retaining more muscle because you're in a more modest deficit on keto.

Maybe you could also retain more muscle by being on a more modest deficit and still eating carbs.

Some of your weight loss due to keto is purely water. So even if you kept calories at maintenance, you'd drop a quick 7-10 pounds.

Yeah I didn't formulate that sentence very well. I guess what I meant to say is that I can lose weight while on a smaller caloric deficit when in ketosis.

I've lost weight both ways. Ketosis seems to give me better energy levels, better satiation, and I also feel like I sleep better. The most water I've ever shed during the first week of getting back into ketosis is about 4-5lbs. After that your body adjusts. Electrolytes help as well.

As someone who loves to eat in can say intermittent fasting worked for me. It takes a couple weeks to adjust to not eating all day but once you do its easy. I don't eat breakfast...I usually have a smaller meal at 2-3 pm.....then a solid dinner around 630-7, and small snack at 8. I don't crave food early...I could go til 5 or 6 easily. Once I eat something, I want more so I get to eat alot for dinner then shut it down. It's a great vehicle for eating at a deficit...it makes it easy basically. I'm down 20...it's taken a long time but that's because my food selection isn't great and I don't have much left to lose.

Keto is too intense and chews through muscle , ive done every diet known over the past 26 years , been stage lean (4-5%) bodyfat around 20 times , not getting fat in the first place is the key.[/QUOTE]

The bigger ive got (muscle mass wise) the more keto has been a negative , when i was in my 20s and around 190 pounds it was great , but adding 30-40 pounds of muscle onto that a keto diet chews through it .

Keto is certainly the quickest method ive used , and would carry on if it was optimal for results , if it works for you then thats great.

Back