Ketogenic/Intermittent Fasting for cutting

Thunderkopf

Lol, wut.
Banned
Reaction score
Height: 5'11"
Weight: 215 lbs.

Goal: Drop 20-25 pounds to get in shape for triathlon

Diet: Carb cycling + Intermittent Fasting (8 hours feed window). 60%/35%/5% Fat/Protein/Carbs

You can see my training regimen in my sig. In a nutshell, I train triathlon, powerlifting, and calisthenics.

3/1/2015

1/2 lb. low carb thickburger from Carl's Jr.

2 triple cheeseburgers with bacon and no ketchup, no buns, wrapped in lettuce from McDonald's

6 tbsp of natural peanut butter

6 raw eggs

Day 1:
WzNTfyx.jpg

Last edited:
3/2/2015

Morning weight: 214 lbs.

1/2 lb thickburger, low carb, no ketchup - 640 cals, 55 g fat, 35 g protein, <5 g carbs

2 cups Abound mixed nuts - 1520 cals, 136 g fat, 40 g protein, 32 g carbs

6 raw eggs - 420 cals, 27 g fat, 36 g protein, 0 g carbs

2 scoops Dymatize Elite protein shake - 260 cals, 3 g fat, 42 g protein, 12 g carbs

2840 calories, 221 g fat, 153 g protein, <45 g carbs

Macro: 72/22/6 - need to increase protein intake next time.

5 mg yohimbine + 200 mg caffeine for preworkout

Tuesday 3/3/2015

Morning weight: 213 lbs.

2 Frito Lay's Deluxe Mixed Nuts
2 lbs. ground beef 80/20 with fat drained
Sauerkraut
Jack Link's Jumbo Beefsteak
4 oz Tillamook Pepper Jack Cheese

3100 calories
222 g fat
241 g protein
29 g net carbs

64/32/4

ieefo.jpg

"Thunder, would you like a piece of chocolate?" No, I'm on a diet.
"Thunder, care for some cake?" No thank you.
"Thunder, here's a taco." No thank you.

"Ooh, look at Thunder. He thinks he's better than us with that crazy diet of his."

*sigh*

Last edited:
Wednesday 3/4/2015

Morning weight: 212.5 (took a Texas sized dump before weighing myself)

AiIykbr.png

60/34/6 Fat/Protein/Carbs

Diezmillo preperada con crema, Pico de Gallo y guacamole:

1tc4P04.jpg

Image is appearing smaller than the original in this thread. Here's the direct link to my food log: http://i.imgur.com/AiIykbr.png

Last edited:
I always thought worlds would collide and the universe would fold in on itself when keto and IF were combined.

I swear by IF but keto is too much. I always thought mixing both would just blow fat right off your body.

I always thought worlds would collide and the universe would fold in on itself when keto and IF were combined.

I swear by IF but keto is too much. I always thought mixing both would just blow fat right off your body.

That's exactly what I intend to do with this diet.

3/7/2015

Day 7

Morning weight: 210.0 lbs

Got sick yesterday from either the keto flu or overtraining. Or maybe both. I don't know, I don't care.

No carb up this week. I want my body to remain fat adapted for at least 4-6 weeks before I do a carb backload.

jtqotAl.png

Progress pic:
9kokljB.jpg

PeuTZ2Z.png

Decided to eat some carbs today because I was sweating profusely and getting dehydrated and leg cramps while rolling in jiujitsu practice. I don't think ketosis and jiujitsu mix well; my body feels less mobile and flexible, and I gas out too quickly. Not to mention, my explosiveness is null. So I think I'm going to have to start introducing carbs back into my diet, but I'm going to cycle them to lose fat more efficiently. On some days, I probably won't eat carbs. The intermittent fasting will stay.

Another thing to note: according to MyFitnessPal, apparently, your body burns approximately 3000 calories from training jiujitsu for 3 hours. Amazing. But I think a more accurate figure would be around 1200 to 1600 calories. So technically, my deficit for today would be around 1200 to 1700 calories.

Last edited:
Decided to eat some carbs today because I was sweating profusely and getting dehydrated and leg cramps while rolling in jiujitsu practice. I don't think ketosis and jiujitsu mix well; my body feels less mobile and flexible, and I gas out too quickly. Not to mention, my explosiveness is null. So I think I'm going to have to start introducing carbs back into my diet, but I'm going to cycle them to lose fat more efficiently. On some days, I probably won't eat carbs. The intermittent fasting will stay.

Another thing to note: according to MyFitnessPal, apparently, your body burns approximately 3000 calories from training jiujitsu for 3 hours. Amazing. But I think a more accurate figure would be around 1200 to 1600 calories. So technically, my deficit for today would be around 1200 to 1700 calories.

Going low carb means you hold less water so hydration is a big thing on keto. On top of that people doing keto and sports basically need to supplement electrolytes. You can do it through food but it's very hard. Most high potassium foods are also high carb (banana) so it's easier to just grab a supplement. Keto and BJJ mixes fine, you just have to get passed that hump. Takes about 3 weeks of solid keto to adapt supposedly and then you'll start feeling better and you'll notice your endurance is back or coming back.

But keto isn't for everyone, you gotta decide what's good for you. Best of luck in your goals.

Going low carb means you hold less water so hydration is a big thing on keto. On top of that people doing keto and sports basically need to supplement electrolytes. You can do it through food but it's very hard. Most high potassium foods are also high carb (banana) so it's easier to just grab a supplement. Keto and BJJ mixes fine, you just have to get passed that hump. Takes about 3 weeks of solid keto to adapt supposedly and then you'll start feeling better and you'll notice your endurance is back or coming back.

But keto isn't for everyone, you gotta decide what's good for you. Best of luck in your goals.

Thanks for the input. Yes, I drink at least 2 gallons of water a day, and supplement with potassium (with salt substitute), sodium, zinc, and magnesium once every night. But I think you're right about getting past the hump - my body was only fat adapted for a week and a half before breaking ketosis, and it's too early to determine if keto and BJJ aren't compatible with each other.

I'll give it another shot. This time I'm going to carry a bottle of water mixed with sugar-free electrolytes around everywhere I go - the pool, gym, jiujitsu. I'm going to hydrate and replenish my electrolytes all throughout the day, instead of once a day.

This looks like a good choice for a powder: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00815PLYQ/ref=pd_aw_sbs_3?pi=AC_SY230_QL60

Edit: Man, this sucks. I ate 120 g of carbs yesterday and I'm still cramping up. I think my body ran out of glycogen quickly. Just had a 2 and a 1/4 mile swim this morning. I'm going to drop the keto, but continue the IF.

Last edited:
Man...ditch the keto. It sounded good on paper 5 years ago..but I just can't make myself even think about trying it again.

Every time I ventured into low-carb zone, I always ended up sick with a cold and unable to concentrate.

Carbs are fine, just eat healthy and watch your calories.

Good luck mate.

Good luck. When is your triathlon, if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks, Grappleboxing. I'm planning to do a sprint length triathlon (750 m swim, 20k cycling, 5k run) in June or July, depending on how soon my swimming technique and cardio develop to my satisfaction. Right now, I'm only concerned about increasing my work capacity, VO2max, and losing weight as far as my training goals go. As long as I'm able to nail those three goals down and the aforementioned swimming, I think I'll be good to go to compete.

Man...ditch the keto. It sounded good on paper 5 years ago..but I just can't make myself even think about trying it again.

Every time I ventured into low-carb zone, I always ended up sick with a cold and unable to concentrate.

Carbs are fine, just eat healthy and watch your calories.

Good luck mate.

Thanks, Sarumyan. Yes, that dreaded sickness is known as the "keto flu." Yes, I don't think carbs are bad either.

In my last weight cut, which was about 6 months ago, I dropped from 210 lbs @ 15% bf down to 190 lbs @ 10% bf in 2 months on an IIFYM + IF diet. I literally ate fast food (cheeseburgers and burritos) and milk shakes or smoothies 3x a week and still lost weight. As absurd as it sounds, they fit my macros and I never went overboard on the caloric limit.

aZ4ySXu.png

Swam 2 and a quarter miles in a fasted state. Ate a whole bag of tropical trail mix to combat the cramps and hunger pangs an hour before jiujitsu practice. And then I feasted on two footlong Subway sandwiches. Both meals were spaced 5 hours apart. According to MyFitnessPal, I still have a 2800 calories deficit...huh..crazy....

Edit: Looks like I will need to supplement with protein shakes to increase my protein intake.

^for me normal cold came after "keto flu" due to suppressed immune system.

But again, if it works for you, then Good luck.

Subscribed for now.

Back