Kettle bell exercises for overhand punch?

No. To get more powerful punches, hit a heavy bag.

No. To get more powerful punches, hit a heavy bag.
I do, that's more accuracy though. You mean to say that there is no kettlebell exercise that follows a similar power arc to an overhand? After a certain point I gotta get my shoulder muscles really good at whipping my Fist at wherever I aim.

Just thinking out loudly, but maybe kettle bell snatch.

Not exactly what you wanted but Skip to 1:12 this might be of some use to you. Rashad at one time was knocking dudes out.

Last edited:
latest

What you need is a solid S&C program without too much fluff to strenghten your body and weakpoints and prevent injuries. That's the base. You want to use the CLEAR majority of your time working on your skills and technique.

With that said, specific exercises that theoretically COULD improve power is anything that involves powerful hip extension (preferredly triple extension and in split stances), powerful hip and torso rotation and explosive upper body pushing/punching. SO:

Medball slams, split stance med ball slams, rotational med ball slams, split stance kettlebell snatch, power clean, clean and jerk, sidelunge to singleleg push press, landmine punches, band resisted punches, hip rotation exercises including band resisted ones, plyometric pushup variations, so on.

You can get a lot done with exercises without much resistance as well, just working on creating more ROM in your hip extension and rotation and really getting a good turn over. The heavybag is also excellent for using single punches and really setting them up as you would any other explosive/plyo exercise.

When it comes to strength work, besides the usual suspects like squats, bench, row and dl variations, including more single leg work, jefferson deadlifts and thoracic isometrics and rotations like sideplank and palloff presses would be a good idea.

EDIT: If you're talking about the overhand specificly, the mechanics are a little different, more sinking down into the ground with the arm arching down. So med ball slams into the ground or tire slams and isometric and/or explsoive straight arm pulldown variations either kneeling or standing would make sense. Or simply getting a handball and throwing it into the ground from your stance or straight ahead. I bet handballers and pitchers have a mean overhand. Besides practicing the punch obviously.

Last edited:
Sano is right but Thibedau ´s kettlebell GPP from his book has helped me and you feel the single arm swing help a little bit with power, specially crosses-

Sledgehammer or axe work from over shoulder, diagonally accross body.

Heres a video of GOAT MMA S&C trainer

Interesting, tried it today and it actually helped with glute activation during the cross afterwards. I like it.

Why do you want an exercise that specifically uses a kettlebell?

Why do you want an exercise that specifically uses a kettlebell?
I thought it would be better than a medicine ball because I wouldn't have to go get it(it has a handle). But I bought a slam ball yesterday so all these kettlebell exercises are out the window since I'm gonna work with a slam ball now.

I do, that's more accuracy though. You mean to say that there is no kettlebell exercise that follows a similar power arc to an overhand? After a certain point I gotta get my shoulder muscles really good at whipping my Fist at wherever I aim.
That sounds like a really good way to tear your shoulder up

You're going to train yourself to do an even slower, more pathetic rear punch than before, and that's if you're lucky

If you knew the gist of the proper mechanics of how a right punch is supposed to work, I strongly doubt you would be so insistent on these burdening-with-extra-weight exercises because they will hamper and ruin your performance even if they DON'T end up tearing your shoulder up (which is already 99% unlikely). You are really star-stuck somehow with this fundamentally flawed idea. It literally can't work because you're ignoring how it works in the first place.

At least you're not trying to improve your chin by letting people punch it over and over or throw medicine balls at it. Are you? Because that doesn't work either, it does the exact opposite. It is arrived @ under a similar thought process, though.

Why not learn how to throw a really good, nice right hand? Do that first, get it trained by an actual boxer and one who is great at it. Go slow, learn the mechanics, polish them to a lovely sheen. After that, you will no longer want (or need) to do these silly things which will ruin any chance of future ability.

Why not learn how to throw a really good, nice right hand? Do that first, get it trained by an actual boxer and one who is great at it. Go slow, learn the mechanics, polish them to a lovely sheen. After that, you will no longer want (or need) to do these silly things which will ruin any chance of future ability.

Pretty much this.

You're going to train yourself to do an even slower, more pathetic rear punch than before, and that's if you're lucky

If you knew the gist of the proper mechanics of how a right punch is supposed to work, I strongly doubt you would be so insistent on these burdening-with-extra-weight exercises because they will hamper and ruin your performance even if they DON'T end up tearing your shoulder up (which is already 99% unlikely). You are really star-stuck somehow with this fundamentally flawed idea. It literally can't work because you're ignoring how it works in the first place.

At least you're not trying to improve your chin by letting people punch it over and over or throw medicine balls at it. Are you? Because that doesn't work either, it does the exact opposite. It is arrived @ under a similar thought process, though.

Depends entirely on which exercises you apply, and how and when, you apply them. Technique trumphs all, but a solid S&C program with some periodized specificity can increase your power and velocity a little. I wouldn't worry about doing any specific power training untill you have the technique of a punch down somewhat, but at later stages.

Even all time great boxers had methods of S&C which they claimed helped their power and speed. Ali and Foreman both swore by chopping wood as a means to increase your power, which makes sense. Also praciticing rotational drills from sports like golf and baseball, modified for punching, can improve your rotational velocity and efficiency and hence your power. I highlighted some solid ball/slam ball exercises here: http://forums.sherdog.com/posts/142277337/ which I would seriously try a few times and see how it feels, if I was you. Strength training otherwise is a means to increase tissue strength, improve mobility, balance your body and stay injury free from the stressors of your sport.

With all that said, time and place. Technique is #1.

Back