Kettle bell exercises for overhand punch?

Depends entirely on which exercises you apply, and how and when, you apply them. Technique trumphs all, but a solid S&C program with some periodized specificity can increase your power and velocity a little. I wouldn't worry about doing any specific power training untill you have the technique of a punch down somewhat, but at later stages.

Even all time great boxers had methods of S&C which they claimed helped their power and speed. Ali and Foreman both swore by chopping wood as a means to increase your power, which makes sense. Also praciticing rotational drills from sports like golf and baseball, modified for punching, can improve your rotational velocity and efficiency and hence your power. I highlighted some solid ball/slam ball exercises here: http://forums.sherdog.com/posts/142277337/ which I would seriously try a few times and see how it feels, if I was you. Strength training otherwise is a means to increase tissue strength, improve mobility, balance your body and stay injury free from the stressors of your sport.

With all that said, time and place. Technique is #1.

1. horse

2. cart

In that order. Putting S&C before learning form is an idea that will result in awful results as a best case scenario.

The surest scenario is injury + decreased form/ability
---
I agree with the baseball throwing and (using both arms) wood chopping. Even with the baseball you can very easily tear your shoulder out if you don't use proper form and build with patience (like even baseball pitchers will do). Using heavier stuff WITHOUT cultivating proper form first carefully is a plan for disaster

Last edited:
1. horse

2. cart

In that order.
---
I agree with the baseball throwing and wood chopping. Even with the baseball you can very easily tear your shoulder if you don't use proper form and build with patience.
What makes baseball throwing particularly hard on the shoulder joint is the hypermobility required when cocking back during the throw. The amount of external rotation at that velocity with that volume highly increased the risk of a rotator cuff tear. The videos I posted of ball exercises in the other thread is very different in the sense that they don't use any excessive rotation in the shoulder joint and are much more hip dominant.

We agree on technique being more important though, but the risk of injury of a S&C program depends entirely on the coach putting it together. I am a physical therapist so I work with this for a living.

What makes baseball throwing particularly hard on the shoulder joint is the hypermobility required when cocking back during the throw. The amount of external rotation at that velocity with that volume highly increased the risk of a rotator cuff tear. The videos I posted of ball exercises in the other thread is very different in the sense that they don't use any excessive rotation in the shoulder joint and are much more hip dominant.

We agree on technique being more important though, but the risk of injury of a S&C program depends entirely on the coach putting it together. I am a physical therapist so I work with this for a living.

Something tells me this guy TS is not going to hire a competent S&C guy to watch over him, otherwise it would be a harmless exercise. He wont even hire a coach to walk him through the form. He's stuck on this DIY trip and that's a bad idea when learning how to fight, especially when involving your joints, tendons, things like that.

If you yourself were to monitor him, I'd have no problem with it. But that's not at all the scenario he's intending to undergo. I have to put my foot down on this because it's a bad idea to anyone else reading it, despite it being obvious that TS is stuck on going through with it the wrong way regardless. It's the kind of thing I would expect CM Punk to do, not anyone else

Something tells me this guy TS is not going to hire a competent S&C guy to watch over him, otherwise it would be a harmless exercise. He wont even hire a coach to walk him through the form. He's stuck on this DIY trip and that's a bad idea when learning how to fight, especially when involving your joints, tendons, things like that.

If you yourself were to monitor him, I'd have no problem with it. But that's not at all the scenario he's intending to undergo. I have to put my foot down on this because it's a bad idea to anyone else reading it, despite it being obvious that TS is stuck on going through with it the wrong way regardless. It's the kind of thing I would expect CM Punk to do, not anyone else
You have a point, especially when it comes to the kettlebell as a means to simulate any kind of punching (which can easily be a recipy for disaster). If you check out the link to the other thread though TS stated that he bought a slam ball instead and the videos I listed there I would have no problem with anyone doing because the movements are low risk, even unsupervised.

Still think your point is important to anyone new to the game reading it. Fair play.

Reading+the+text+just+hurts+me+on+the+inside+_99f4a7957fc6348a98e1655207364b97.jpg
I have a gym but I can't go there for a few months. I have been actively involved in martial arts for approximately two years. I think I have the form down enough that I can worry about adding a bit oomph to my punch. I'm not learning how to fight at this point, I'm learning how to fight better. I did end up taking @Sano 's advice though and have been incorporating some of the stuff he's showed me for the slam ball in my other thread into my daily routine.

Back