Kevin Costner to star in modern Western TV drama "Yellowstone," written by Taylor Sheridan

G

Guestx

Somehow I'm just now hearing about this. As a big fan of Costner's work in the Western genre, I am very much looking forward to it.

This show is being written by Taylor Sheridan, writer of Sicario and Hell or High Water, and writer/director of Wind River.

Kevin Costner is set as the lead in Yellowstone, Paramount Network’s upcoming straight-to-series drama. The project is written and executive produced by Oscar-nominated Hell Or High Water and Sicario screenwriter Taylor Sheridan and executive produced by The Weinstein Company and John Linson and Art Linson (Sons of Anarchy, Fight Club).

Costner, who also is an executive producer, will play John Dutton, who controls the largest contiguous ranch in the United States, under constant attack by those it borders — land developers, an Indian reservation, and America’s first National Park. It is an intense study of a violent world far from media scrutiny — where land grabs make developers billions, and politicians are bought and sold by the world’s largest oil and lumber corporations. Where drinking water poisoned by fracking wells and unsolved murders are not news: they are a consequence of living in the new frontier. It is the best and worst of America seen through the eyes of a family that represents both.

Yellowstone is the first scripted drama series greenlighted by Paramount Network, Viacom’s new general entertainment network and leading scripted brand, which will replace Spike in early 2018, The 10-episode series is slated to go into production in the fall for premiere on the network in summer 2018.

The project marks Oscar winner Costner’s first major return to television in five years following his starring role in History miniseries Hatfield & McCoys, which earned him an Emmy, Golden Globe and SAG award. His most recent film work includes starring roles in Oscar-nominated Hidden Figures, Batman V. Superman: Dawn Of Justice and McFarland, USA.

“Our goal is to bring premium cinematic storytelling to television. With an icon such as Kevin Costner in front of the camera, and the renowned Taylor Sheridan behind the camera, we are off to a great start,” said Keith Cox, President, Development and Production, Paramount Network and TV Land. “We are thrilled to have such a celebrated actor as Costner to play the lead role in such an important project for Paramount Network,” Cox added.

“Taylor Sheridan wrote a giant of a character in lead John Dutton,” says TWC co-chairman Harvey Weinstein. “There was only one actor who could be transformational — Kevin Costner. This is a coup for the show and fulfills a joint promise that Kevin and I made — that we would find a mutual project to work on.”

yellowstone-kevin-costner.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds interesting, hopefully shows like this can boost bellator ratings as lead ins better than cops has

I just saw Wind River a couple of days ago and the movie was great. Sheridan is emerging as one of the best screenwriters in recent years. Never thought that I would say that about the guy who played Deputy Hale on the first 2 seasons of Sons of Anarchy.

Always down for Costner

I just saw Wind River a couple of days ago and the movie was great. Sheridan is emerging as one of the best screenwriters in recent years. Never thought that I would say that about the guy who played Deputy Hale on the first 2 seasons of Sons of Anarchy.

I listened to an interview with him a little while back where he discussed his transition from acting to writing. It was a Q&A he did for Hell or High Water. If you're interested, you can check it out here:

http://www.theqandapodcast.com/2017/02/hell-or-high-water-q.html

I also listened to an interview he did for Wind River, which again if you're interested, you can check out here:

He says he doesn't miss acting even a tiny bit.

Always down for Costner

He's made a lot of interesting films in the last 10 years that I don't think many people actually saw.

He's still working at a high level, but often times people just aren't paying attention.

Awesome love westerns. Love Costner. Love Costners westerns. Hell i even liked Waterworld

He's made a lot of interesting films in the last 10 years that I don't think many people actually saw.

He's still working at a high level, but often times people just aren't paying attention.

Hatfields and McCoys was pretty good. Bill Paxton stole the show, but Costner was solid as usual.

Hatfields and McCoys was pretty good. Bill Paxton stole the show, but Costner was solid as usual.

I did like Hatfield's and McCoys.

3 Days to Kill I thought had its moments, including one of the best building explosions I've ever seen. Black or White was good and dealt with some interesting issues. McFarland USA is a good family movie. Criminal we've talked about before. Hidden Figures is good.

TTT.

Just saw this haphazardly in a search. So freaking stoked.

I am so pumped for this project I cant even

I wonder if it'll be more like say Deadwood or that AMC railroad show as compared to a more traditional Western

oh shit, I thought it meant when Yellowstone was first founded

my bad, as I was

The biggest problem with knowing exactly when the show was set in was that the early announcements didn't mention a year and the description was kind of vague as to its exact time period. But we see here that Kevin Costner has a helicopter and shit:

ABT6LQJKRFH7JI5LSMB354U4SY.jpg

Back