Kevin lee weight cut

Are we assuming he weighs 185 on fight night? I remember Diego Sanchez was 175 on fight night when he fought Lamas at 145lbs. Most people don't say what they weigh on fight night though so I don't know how crazy that is.

Lee says he cuts water from 175. That process starts days before the fight, so 175 lbs is probably what he weighs when competing in that case.

Ban weight cutting from anything more than the next weight class' limit and make the heavier weights great again.

It's sad how much confidence you guy put in heavyweights. Weight classes protect the egos of hw fighters. (and I am 6' 226lbs) In open weight competition most of the big guys would have one round to finish the fight before being way too tired from swinging and missing a much faster smaller target. From the 3rd round on it becomes the smaller guys fight to lose.
1 round is all a heavyweight or light heavyweight needs to finish any guy from ww to flw. Watch Fedor grapping Aoki and see the difference.

No no, we need even fewer weight classes. 150, 175, 195, 225 and open weight where anyone who wants to compete can. Where if Colby had the balls he could fight Werdum in a sanctioned fight. No weight cutting allowed for the four classes that have a limit.

in a pure fighting world maybe .. But UFC has lots on interims to hand out !! It's a money machine first, sport second .. Eliminating one class and spreading them out is the key

Guys, 185 is standard walk around weight for pro 155ers.... The big jumps in weight classes is what's hurting guys like him and Dos Anjos. Guys that are 185-190 walk around should actually have a 165 weight class. But with 155 or 170 to chose from, its either cut alot and drain yourself/be big or Cut less/be small.

He's probably the most physically strong fighter in the LW division, which wouldn't be the case anymore if he moved up to WW. However many guys perform better when they're not dehydrating the shit out of their bodies, and he certainly has the skills and crazy long reach to compete at WW. I'm sure eventually he'll make the move up, he's only 25 and it just gets harder and harder to cut weight as you get older.
Damn he's only 25.

Guys, 185 is standard walk around weight for pro 155ers.... The big jumps in weight classes is what's hurting guys like him and Dos Anjos. Guys that are 185-190 walk around should actually have a 165 weight class. But with 155 or 170 to chose from, its either cut alot and drain yourself/be big or Cut less/be small.

Seems like guys moving up to fight bigger dudes are performing way better than they were at the smaller class EG: Kelvin, Whittaker, Pettis, Masvidal, DC, Nunes, Smith, Santos. I think the hydration advantage is worth 10 pound weight difference after the IV ban.

He's probably the most physically strong fighter in the LW division, which wouldn't be the case anymore if he moved up to WW. However many guys perform better when they're not dehydrating the shit out of their bodies, and he certainly has the skills and crazy long reach to compete at WW. I'm sure eventually he'll make the move up, he's only 25 and it just gets harder and harder to cut weight as you get older.
Jesus I forget he's so young. He's got a shit ton of potential

too small IMO ..

wish UFC would just reclassify weight classes ..

scrap Fly and do this

130, 145, 160, 175, 190, 205, 220
No. Small, medium and heavy, 3 weight classes, up to 70kg (155), up to 90 (200) and over. Weight in when entering the octagon. No strategy tricks or cheats

185 at WW is what GSP used to be and he was considered "big" at the time.

Just another case of a guy wanting to fight smaller guys for an advantage
He really wasn't very big though, he was actually average to smallish among the top 10, never really understood why they would say he's a "big WW" but it didn't really last long, that was more when he was fighting the Hughes, Sherk, Serra and BJ who where either short or primarily lightweights.

That's the real "evolution" of the sport from GSPs reign though, now 185 would be tiny and the average is about 10 pounds higher than it was then.

185 at WW is what GSP used to be and he was considered "big" at the time.

Just another case of a guy wanting to fight smaller guys for an advantage
Well, he can't even beat Raging Al who is much smaller then him. Without a size advantage he wouldnt even last in the UFC as long as he has.

Seems like guys moving up to fight bigger dudes are performing way better than they were at the smaller class EG: Kelvin, Whittaker, Pettis, Masvidal, DC, Nunes, Smith, Santos. I think the hydration advantage is worth 10 pound weight difference after the IV ban.
Some of those guys are great points... But I know Anthony personally. Dude walks around at 230 and should have never tried 185. DC and Santos were huge weight cutters as well. Kelvin, Pettis, and Game bread are for sure fighting out of their natural weight classes though!

Back