Keyboard Jockey Attempts Two AR-15 Builds

A piston just seems to make more sense to me; dirty gas isn't being blown back into the action. I'll take reliability over weight savings and accuracy any day of the week.

Ha. Well, it's kinda informal at this state park. Every time I'm there seems to be just as other groups of shooters are packing up. Even then it's not like I'd have some strangers five feet away on either side.

You seem to have some experience in this area. How would you rate the trade off between extra noise/concussion and improvements in muzzle climb/recoil? Life would be easier (but not cheaper) if I could just get a can.

What about pistons do you find attractive?

Really it comes down to personal preference. For example some brakes even though the rifle stays flat the felt concussion in your face can be distracting/jarring. Some people don't like brakes at all and only use flash hiders. It also depends on what type of shooting you will do. While prone/bipod some of the brakes throw up tons of dust or whatever. The Titan is a beast of a brake and will create quite a blast. Some people like the tactical comps like the bce over muzzle brakes. They aren't as good as muzzle brakes but don't have a massive concussion/blast. I went with a battle comp on my last build. There are quite a few more out now and you can look into that if you would like.

I recommend going to some busy ranges and trying to find people that have a variety of muzzle brakes and ask if you can shoot a couple rounds. Judge the recoil, concussion, control, etc.

If you feel like spending a lot for an awesome tactical comp get a knights armament triple tap
TripleTap.jpg

Fair enough Jlagman. For me I'm not too worried my gun will get too dirty to fire.

Really it comes down to personal preference. For example some brakes even though the rifle stays flat the felt concussion in your face can be distracting/jarring. Some people don't like brakes at all and only use flash hiders. It also depends on what type of shooting you will do. While prone/bipod some of the brakes throw up tons of dust or whatever. The Titan is a beast of a brake and will create quite a blast. Some people like the tactical comps like the bce over muzzle brakes. They aren't as good as muzzle brakes but don't have a massive concussion/blast. I went with a battle comp on my last build. There are quite a few more out now and you can look into that if you would like.

I recommend going to some busy ranges and trying to find people that have a variety of muzzle brakes and ask if you can shoot a couple rounds. Judge the recoil, concussion, control, etc.

If you feel like spending a lot for an awesome tactical comp get a knights armament triple tap
TripleTap.jpg

I'm planning on shooting mostly from a bench. I'd really rather not feel the concussion on my face. I definitely want something to reduce recoil and/or muzzle climb. So it sounds like a tactical comp is the way to go. Too bad that matte stainless on the battle comps isn't appealing.

Unfortunately I don't have a range with dude's running AR's. That's an otherwise great suggestion.

The triple tap is definitely out of my price range. Christ.

I'm planning on shooting mostly from a bench. I'd really rather not feel the concussion on my face. I definitely want something to reduce recoil and/or muzzle climb. So it sounds like a tactical comp is the way to go. Too bad that matte stainless on the battle comps isn't appealing.

Unfortunately I don't have a range with dude's running AR's. That's an otherwise great suggestion.

The triple tap is definitely out of my price range. Christ.

Yeah the battle comp stainless was made to match for example the Noveske stainless barrels.

Noveske18SPRBattleComp10006.jpg

Haha yeah the knights 3t is hellaciously expensive.

I've read good things a while ago about this when it was new but that could have just been hype. Something you could look into.

116-large_default.jpg

VG6 epsilon
There are a lot of choices and opinions out there. It is difficult to pick without shooting.

Just watched a video of it. Still seems a bit blasty but less than some others.

Last edited:
116-large_default.jpg

VG6 epsilon

Thanks. That one looks very cool and interesting. It's got that matte look though. I'm hoping for something shiny stainless to match the barrel. I've started to consider these JP's.

http://www.jprifles.com/1.4.3_tre.php

1101.jpg

I guess I'd want the OD of the muzzle device to match the contour in front of the gas block or it'll look funny? Speaking of the barrel, I scuffed it being a drunk idiot messing around with seeing how the gas block fit with the handguard. Can that be buffed out or something? :rolleyes:

Which is pretty funny when you consider I was so concerned about finish that I switched out the ejection port covers. The finish on the Sabre Defense was noticeably inferior to the rifle. So I picked one up from Tactical Gear Junkie. I thought long and hard about having something engraved but in the end it's just not my style. The new one is much nicer looking (maybe the image captures that?) but the mechanism is a little gritty. It also might be a little stiff to snap closed but it pops open fine and looks like it matches the quality of the receiver.

IMG_2907_zps4b9a8225.jpg

IMG_1745_zps9fc84b96.jpg

1012742_679560795417017_593157245_n_zpsae53d1e5.jpg

EP556BBSS-3.jpg

Maybe it was the picture but it looks like a polished stainless to me. It could be my phone. Sometimes my phone looks different than a monitor. Top picture isn't the same model but is the same maker.

Yeah I'm not sure how you would buff the barrel, try a gun smith. Yeah bottom dust cover is much cleaner. Some people would laugh about caring about minor imperfections as it is a tool and supposed to get dinged up or whatever. I don't really understand that, I like brand new rifles to look brand new and stay looking like that for as long as possible. Especially if it is a bench gun and not something you are drilling with.

^^^^^^^^^ You're right. That looks polished. I'm diggin' it. Thanks for understanding on the port covers. lol. For all the time and money it doesn't make sense to me to have one trashy, sub-standard looking part sticking out like a sore thumb. For the extra $6 I've got no complaint. It's one thing to have something new and add your own dents and scratches (like my f'ing barrel), it's another to attach something that already looks like shit compared to the rest of the gun (or car or whatever). My one concern is the od of the epsilon says .86 and the barrel is .875. The difference does seem quite minor.

If most of the interesting muzzle devices weren't all around $100 I'd just buy three of them and see what I preferred (Epsilon, JP, A2 Birdcage). Cheapest I see the stainless A2's is just under $30.

Last edited:
A piston just seems to make more sense to me; dirty gas isn't being blown back into the action. I'll take reliability over weight savings and accuracy any day of the week.

I thought you might be interested in this.

http://www.defensereview.com/the-bi...pingement-gas-system-makes-the-m4-unreliable/

Fouling in the M4 is not the problem. The problem is weak springs (buffer and extractor), as well as light buffer weights (H vs. H2 or H3). With the abovementioned drop-in parts, the M4 is as reliable as any weapon I have ever fired, and I have fired probably every military-issue assault rifle fielded worldwide in the last 60 years as a Special Forces Weapons Sergeant (18B). An additional benefit of the heavier spring/weight combo is that it transmits the energy impulse of the firing cycle to the shoulder over a longer duration, lowering the amount of foot pounds per second and dramatically reducing the perceived recoil. Follow-on shots are easier to make effectively, and much faster, especially at 50 meters and beyond.

I reliably fired 2400 rounds (80 magazines) on a bone dry gun, and I would bet that is a lot more than any soldier or other armed professional will ever come close to firing without any lubrication whatsoever. So, disregard the fouling myth and install a better buffer spring, H2 buffer, enhanced extractor spring and a Crane O-ring (all end user drop-in parts). With normal (read

I'v now ordered the VG6 Epsilon in stainless steel. $100 w/shipping. Yikes. The black ones are out there cheaper but not the stainless, that I could find.

Next up might be iron sights. I'm really leaning towards the KAC Micro 600m for both front and rear. I like the looks and the functionality of the rear sight. I also need to purchase the bolt carrier and then that's about it for the one upper.

Progress was made when I received my replacement monopod (original one was gouged and I returned it). Plus I had to get the extra rail covers for the PRS because I didn't want to cut up the original. I also replaced the short slim safety selector lever with the short crank on the trigger finger side. I'm very pleased with having that and then the long crank on the thumb side.

Here's what I did with the monopod/rail cover.

c6eb3bf8-d656-4a23-97bb-f01c325bf1bc_zpsf10540d7.jpg

I followed an online recipe. A cope saw to carve out the center of the rail cover plus various grits of sandpaper made for a relatively easy modification. For the aesthetic gain I think this is well worth less than an hour of time (and a $6 plus shipping rail cover if you want to maintain the stock piece).

All in all, that lower is perfection for my tastes. The only small detail on a functional level is that having the monopod fold rearward requires the butt of the stock be extended ever-so-slightly in order to avoid contact/scratching with the surface of the big ass recoil pad adapter I put on there. I can't say how folding would fit with other buttpad configurations. I should also note that the safety is smooth, unlike the Spike's lower (which I'll be looking at before it's over).

Progress was made when I received my replacement monopod (original one was gouged and I returned it). Plus I had to get the extra rail covers for the PRS because I didn't want to cut up the original. I also replaced the short slim safety selector lever with the short crank on the trigger finger side. I'm very pleased with having that and then the long crank on the thumb side.

I followed an online recipe. A cope saw to carve out the center of the rail cover plus various grits of sandpaper made for a relatively easy modification. For the aesthetic gain I think this is well worth less than an hour of time (and a $6 plus shipping rail cover if you want to maintain the stock piece).

All in all, that lower is perfection for my tastes. The only small detail on a functional level is that having the monopod fold rearward requires the butt of the stock be extended ever-so-slightly in order to avoid contact/scratching with the surface of the big ass recoil pad adapter I put on there. I can't say how folding would fit with other buttpad configurations. I should also note that the safety is smooth, unlike the Spike's lower (which I'll be looking at before it's over).

You digging the hand grip, thinking of getting one?

You digging the hand grip, thinking of getting one?

I love the Ergo Sure Grip. I've got four of them and need more. :)

I don't tend to shoot with gloves and I've got baby-soft hands so texture and comfort is important to me. If there's a better option I haven't found it.

Looks like a sweet lower for a DMR setup.

Looks like a sweet lower for a DMR setup.

I hadn't really thought of it categorically like that, but yeah...that's basically what I've been going for with this build. Something highly accurate out to intermediate distances that's meant to fire from a bipod. Really, as far out as I can get before stepping up in cartridge size. Most shooting will be shorter ranges and I'm hoping for impressive groups. :)

Grips, both pistol and forend are a huge matter of personal preference. Things I prefer and how I carry a rifle may not translate to someone else. Also certain people use certain grips that translate to comfort on certain styles of grip accessories. I like the Magpul MIAD and AFG. Not a fan of vertical grips for the most part.

Back