Keyboard Jockey Attempts Two AR-15 Builds

Polished stainless Battle Comps available at Griffon industries.
http://www.griffonindustries.com/product_p/bce-ps-01.htm
BCE-PS-01-2.jpg

Damn, those are sweet looking. I already picked up the VG6 Epsilon (which appears to be about $50 cheaper too). I was waiting for the bolt carrier to come in to make a post with the last of the necessary parts. Thanks a bunch for your recommendations.

Damn, those are sweet looking. I already picked up the VG6 Epsilon (which appears to be about $50 cheaper too). I was waiting for the bolt carrier to come in to make a post with the last of the necessary parts. Thanks a bunch for your recommendations.

Hopefully that VG6 works well for you.

The last of the necessary parts for upper #1 arrived. It's the KAC 600 meter Micro front and rear sights. The VG6 Epsilon brake. The Syrac/Black Rain adjustable gas block. The JP low mass bolt carrier. I must say, the finish and feel of this JP bolt carrier is impressive. It seems so finely crafted and the QPC finish really makes it feel slippery.

IMG_1238_zps800c58e3.jpg

All I need now is access to a vice and a torque wrench for the barrel nut. Hopefully that's figured out in the next few days. Then it's final assembly.

I finally got access to the torque wrench and vice. The vice wasn't bolted down so that made it interesting. Of course the 50-80lb torque range blocked off the gas tube access. I couldn't get it past 80 even if I tried so I went with about 40-45lbs and the nut is perfectly aligned.

Part of me wonders how big a deal that could be and part of me wonders what could really go wrong. It's not like the barrel nut can back out (with the gas tube there). I'm also wondering if my muzzle device is on good enough or if I should have tried to get another revolution out of it. Hopefully I'm just paranoid due to inexperience.

If all goes well I should be able to get the rest of the upper assembled tonight. :)

All didn't go well. The screws on the thermal dissipator kinda suck. Multiple issues will require an exchange. Damn it! So close, yet so far.

The low mass bolt carrier is impressive. I can tell a difference just when closing the bolt. It's less of a thud and more of a snap. I can't say enough the difference between handling it compared to other parts. It's like a work of art when you hold it.

The rifle seems level when the bipod is collapsed and the monopod is fully extended. Is that good or bad? lol

Rifle is too long for a single-point sling so I need a plan B there (what can I say, I was hoping).

I'll post final pics when I get the thermal piece of crap replaced.

All didn't go well. The screws on the thermal dissipator kinda suck. Multiple issues will require an exchange. Damn it! So close, yet so far.

The low mass bolt carrier is impressive. I can tell a difference just when closing the bolt. It's less of a thud and more of a snap. I can't say enough the difference between handling it compared to other parts. It's like a work of art when you hold it.

The rifle seems level when the bipod is collapsed and the monopod is fully extended. Is that good or bad? lol

Rifle is too long for a single-point sling so I need a plan B there (what can I say, I was hoping).

I'll post final pics when I get the thermal piece of crap replaced.

I like the V-TAC 2 point padded sling. It is quick to adjust, and easy to use. Use it both in the PD and in Afghanistan.

Can anyone school me on QD scope mounts? So far it looks like Bobro, LaRue, and ADM are the winners. I'm using a Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14x50mm scope. The cantilevered version might be the way to go because of the eye relief. I'll play around with positioning tomorrow and get a better sense. The scope definitely needs to sit more the front. Mainly I'm not sure about the cant built into the QD mounts. The other thing is can I get away with a single release mount with this scope or go with a two lever mount.

I finally got access to the torque wrench and vice. The vice wasn't bolted down so that made it interesting. Of course the 50-80lb torque range blocked off the gas tube access. I couldn't get it past 80 even if I tried so I went with about 40-45lbs and the nut is perfectly aligned.

Part of me wonders how big a deal that could be and part of me wonders what could really go wrong. It's not like the barrel nut can back out (with the gas tube there). I'm also wondering if my muzzle device is on good enough or if I should have tried to get another revolution out of it. Hopefully I'm just paranoid due to inexperience.

If all goes well I should be able to get the rest of the upper assembled tonight. :)

From one inexperienced guy to the other........I'd think not cranking the shit out of it was the smart thing. Its a 7 lb rifle not a transmission.

When are you gonna test fire those bad boys?

From one inexperienced guy to the other........I'd think not cranking the shit out of it was the smart thing. Its a 7 lb rifle not a transmission.

When are you gonna test fire those bad boys?

Thanks. Although I've got it up to 11.5 lbs (before scope mounting). :D

Hopefully sometime in January will be test firing. I should have a scope mount and replacement dissipator by then. I also wouldn't mind something of a cushion between my cheek and the stock.

Can anyone school me on QD scope mounts? So far it looks like Bobro, LaRue, and ADM are the winners. I'm using a Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14x50mm scope. The cantilevered version might be the way to go because of the eye relief. I'll play around with positioning tomorrow and get a better sense. The scope definitely needs to sit more the front. Mainly I'm not sure about the cant built into the QD mounts. The other thing is can I get away with a single release mount with this scope or go with a two lever mount.

My friends and I use LaRue pretty much exclusively when it comes to qd mounts.

My friends and I use LaRue pretty much exclusively when it comes to qd mounts.

Thanks. It's between this LaRue and this Bobro. I guess I'll go with a zero cant option. If they both hold zero equally well then I might go with the bobro due to my preference in the aesthetic. I don't like the screws on the side look as much.

P1011738.JPG

img

Or this one, since further research suggests I don't need the dual latch mount.

img

What piece of what did you torque to what poundage?

(not meant as a condescending or accusational question, I'm merely unclear)

Last edited:
Thanks. Although I've got it up to 11.5 lbs (before scope mounting). :D

Hopefully sometime in January will be test firing. I should have a scope mount and replacement dissipator by then. I also wouldn't mind something of a cushion between my cheek and the stock.

You generally won't be adding a cheek rest to a collapsible stock AR. They can really interfere with operation of the charging handle. I can't recall ever seeing one actually.

Also the recoil on the 5.56 is so low that you don't really need it. As long as you have a good cheek weld and properly mounted scope with the correct eye relief you won't notice the recoil much.

What piece of what did you torque to what poundage?

The barrel nut. 50-80 lbs is what the instructions called for. I decided that 40+ lbs was sufficient.

You generally won't be adding a cheek rest to a collapsible stock AR. They can really interfere with operation of the charging handle. I can't recall ever seeing one actually.

Also the recoil on the 5.56 is so low that you don't really need it. As long as you have a good cheek weld and properly mounted scope with the correct eye relief you won't notice the recoil much.

Yeah, you're right. I'm going overboard trying to make this rifle "baby soft". :D

For the record, this is the PRS stock, not a collapsible one.

Not extremely, but it helps. Let those things stay on a while, (heat, cold, solvents) and need to take them off, (for whatever reason). I've seem galled up ruined threads.

It's not an entirely bad precaution, plus the tighter you put it on initially may play in too. (over time).

If you never ever, ever, ever take it back off, then who cares.

Back