Keystone pipeline leaks 210K gallons of oil in South Dakota

Pipelines not being the absolute worse way to transport oil does not in any way let this oil company off the hook for making a shitty pipe.

This pipeline was built in 2010. There's pipes 5 decades older built with much less tech that don't leak. They cut corners, designed poorly, or didn't properly engineer and build this section...more than likely to save cost.

It seems they need oversight so they do better but this administration are cucks for corporate interest so it won't happen.

This is an issue which ought to be common sense and a matter of knowledge and experience. Corporations will poison the environment and people if it makes them more money. They have-- they are-- and they will.

I remember reading almost half of it was completed back 14, I’m on an iPad so I’m not going to started googling and linking old articles to win a goofy internet argument

Trust me, I live in Alberta. The day TransCanada officially gets the go ahead to commence its work the streets of Edmonton and Calgary will look like the ewoks’ party at the end of Return of the Jedi.

Trust me, I live in Alberta. The day TransCanada officially gets the go ahead to commence its work the streets of Edmonton and Calgary will look like the ewoks’ party at the end of Return of the Jedi.
I live in Texas and the new section was completed from the Gulf of Mexico through Kansas 3or 4 years ago

I live in Texas and the new section was completed from the Gulf of Mexico through Kansas 3or 4 years ago

That’s Keystone phase 3. Keystone XL is phase 4 and doesn’t even go through Texas.

Keystone-pipeline-route.png

trasncanada-keystone-xl-pipeline-map.pdf

This is an issue which ought to be common sense and a matter of knowledge and experience. Corporations will poison the environment and people if it makes them more money. They have-- they are-- and they will.

There is still a lot of incentive for them to not spill. It costs them a lot.

Pretty sure there aren't any better ways than pipelines to transport oil, unless you just take the position that oil shouldn't be transported at all.

If you transport liquids, leaks will happen. I wonder if those protesters had a viable alternative to meet our needs for energy until we do go green. I'm willing to bet the answer is no.
Until we go green? With the POTUS doing everything he can to reverse every environmental protection and green energy initiative? At the current rate, the US will be a polluted cesspool while China takes a giant lead in green initiatives. Viable alternatives my red rosy.

There is still a lot of incentive for them to not spill. It costs them a lot.

Pretty sure there aren't any better ways than pipelines to transport oil, unless you just take the position that oil shouldn't be transported at all.
How about instead just investing heavily in moving away from oil? Nah, that's too fucking simple.

How about instead just investing heavily in moving away from oil? Nah, that's too fucking simple.

I see that as more of a parallel activity, not a binary path

But in terms of oil spill safety, certainly the only way to guarantee zero spillage is to not transport it at all.

I see that as more of a parallel activity, not a binary path

But in terms of oil spill safety, certainly the only way to guarantee zero spillage is to not transport it at all.
I agree with the first sentence, but clearly, the answer to the issue in the second sentence is to do just that to whatever degree possible, which again means investing in going green rather than doing everything possible to hinder that like a certain fat fuck politician we all know by several names.

Crazy enough there are environmentalist that will damage the pipe so oil spill into the environment .

That is called the liberal mentality

Until we go green? With the POTUS doing everything he can to reverse every environmental protection and green energy initiative? At the current rate, the US will be a polluted cesspool while China takes a giant lead in green initiatives. Viable alternatives my red rosy.
Contrary to what some think, Trump wasn't elected god emperor. He'll be gone in less than 4 years, unless the DNC keeps going full retard. Even if he stays in power, by the most optimistic forecasts it will take well over 20 years to make the move away from fossil fuels. Some of the histrionics about Trump are ridiculous and reminds me of spoilt brats throwing temper tantrums. Get a hold of yourselves, it's embarrassing to watch grown people behave this way.

Crazy enough there are environmentalist that will damage the pipe so oil spill into the environment .

That is called the liberal mentality

Is that your hypothesis as to what happened here?

You are such a terrible poster. Really, really terrible.

How many of these pipelines are leaking and how much? Some pipelines have a leak threshold of 5%, keystone is supppsed to be between 1.5 and 2%, before the system detects it.

TransCanada has told regulators that its leak detection system has a threshold of between 1.5% and 2%. Given that Keystone XL has a maximum capacity of 830,000 barrels of tar sands per day, TransCanada is saying that Keystone XL’s leak detection system can only reliably identify leaks if they’re spilling more than 500,000 to 700,000 gallons of tar sands a day. When put in that context, the reason folks don’t want Keystone XL built through their rivers and groundwater become clear.

https://www.nrdc.org/experts/anthony-swift/pipeline-leak-detection-systems-miss-19-out-20-spills

If you transport liquids, leaks will happen. I wonder if those protesters had a viable alternative to meet our needs for energy until we do go green. I'm willing to bet the answer is no.

I'm sure the hypocrites who are selectively-outraging in this thread, despite completely ignore the MILLIONS of gallons of oil spilled from oil trains each year, don't have one either.

When people complains but couldn't offer a better solution, it's just whining.

Drill Baby Drill.

It is amazing 100 years ago we communicated using the telegraph, and now we walk around with cell phone. Still using oil but everything else has progressed.

You do realize "everything else has progressed" is due to oil right?

If it weren't for lame old timey oil you would be Morse coding this shit post, while wishing someone would invent a way to clean teeth, and wonder why you need to have 8 kids because only two live past the age of 1.

Do you drive a Tesla right now and have solar panels?
Do you want to help me pay for them? And yes, I'm poor... at least relative to the cost of a Tesla or solar panels. Do you think costs would be much lower now if big oil and car manufacturers hadn't been trying everything they could think of to kill electric car innovation since the 70's?

Edit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who_Killed_the_Electric_Car?
"The film deals with the history of the electric car, its modern development, and commercialization. The film focuses primarily on the General Motors EV1, which was made available for lease mainly in Southern California, after the California Air Resources Board (CARB) passed the zero-emissions vehicle (ZEV) mandate in 1990 which required the seven major automobile suppliers in the United States to offer electric vehicles in order to continue sales of their gasoline powered vehicles in California. Nearly 5000 electric cars were designed and manufactured by Chrysler, the Ford Motor Company, General Motors (GM), Honda, Nissan, and Toyota; and then later destroyed or donated to museums and educational institutions. Also discussed are the implications of the events depicted for air pollution, oil dependency, Middle East politics, and global warming.

The film details the California Air Resources Board's reversal of the mandate after relentless pressure and suits from automobile manufacturers, continual pressure from the oil industry, orchestrated hype over a future hydrogen car, and finally the George W. Bush administration."

Contrary to what some think, Trump wasn't elected god emperor. He'll be gone in less than 4 years, unless the DNC keeps going full retard. Even if he stays in power, by the most optimistic forecasts it will take well over 20 years to make the move away from fossil fuels. Some of the histrionics about Trump are ridiculous and reminds me of spoilt brats throwing temper tantrums. Get a hold of yourselves, it's embarrassing to watch grown people behave this way.
He will have done enough damage by the time he leaves office that it will take 20 years just to recover from that, let alone make progress. You're easy dismissal of the facts is embarrassing.

He will have done enough damage by the time he leaves office that it will take 20 years just to recover from that, let alone make progress. You're easy dismissal of the facts is embarrassing.
While moving crude is an absolute necessity, research into renewable sources is still ongoing. Trump isn't going to slow progress. No one can, thank whatever diety you want.

Listen. It would be great if you could click your heels together and we would have free unlimited clean energy sources tomorrow. The fact is we're not ready to turn off the tap yet, and won't be for decades.

Do you have a solution? Or you just going to pout? The fact is pipelines are a more viable transport method than any other ones. I'll do a little dance and have a celebratory drink once we're off oil (if I live ling enough), have no doubt. But in the meanwhile we need vehicles to transport, and fuel to burn.

Back