Khabib and Kevin Lee

Subbing people isn't that easy. People pick up sub defence with time even when training in a stupid and unstructured way. Even a submission wizard like Ryan Hall couldn't even sub a mostly unskilled Artem Lobov.

The funny thing about that fight is that Hall was actually training at SGB at the time helping to prepare Artem when it was announced that Saul Roberts was shitcanned and Hall was back in for the final.

I'll add too that if you're a good grappler, it's a lot easier to find chances to reverse someone once they start hunting subs that it is when they're just sitting on top punching you

I only grapple and I have a bad habit of doing this. If someone on top is doing nothing, I will generally do nothing. It's usually most efficient for me to escape when my opponent is transitioning. I need to stop sitting there and pretending I'm safe just because I'm not getting submitted.

A tight side control is good control but not good for dealing damage.

If I have mount or knee on belly I try to maintain those positions with high posture and not allowing opponent to get grips. This allows me to strike if I wanted to, but rarely leaves me in a position to finish an arm triangle.

Essentially why give up mount for an 80% sub when they’ve already spent two minutes proving they can’t escape your mount and You’ve spent two minutes exhausting them and throwing bombs into their skull. Maybe start sub hunting halfway through the third round if you’re already up on rounds.

It was intuitive for me to understand that the efficacy of the mount position goes way up in mma despite being one of the easier positions to escape in a grappling context. I never really considered side control to be the opposite; while almost universally considered the hardest position to escape from in a grappling context, it keeps you relatively safe from powerful strikes

Until you get good at the mounted crucifix, then it's the very best route for strikes.

I think Kevin will go for subs when they present themselves but not at the risk of losing position. Khabib almost seems to ignore submission opportunities.

Kevin Lee is the best MMA grappler on the UFC roster. Excellent blend of wrestling, positional control, guard passing, ground and pound, and submissions.

id love for someone who train with either to shine in on there go to's in the gym ect u cant always see guys fully game by there fights

Back