Khabib Nurmagomedov needs that BJJ Black Belt.

I've always thought his hair was a big part of it.

Against Bocek his hair 100% saved him from the Guillotine and the anaconda. He has his hair braided for the Pettis fight and gets subbed, has it down for Thomson and despite getting his back a whole bunch he was just struggling to get that RNC.

?

Ever rolled with someone that has a lot of hair? It's only an issue if you decide to be nice about it, and try not to accidentally tug at their hair as you try for certain moves. Otherwise, it's awesome for no gi, because hair = friction.

btw, I don't see how Bendo's hair would have helped/hurt him at all in the second Pettis fight, because he lost that by armbar. Plus the Thomson fight is a poor example, because Thomson barely tried for anything from the back. Bendo's hair had nothing to do with Thomson's inactivity.

And to answer the question . no khabib does not need a bjj black belt.

What he needs to do, now that he has stepped up his competition, is start finishing and not being content on being the jon fitch of 155.
Why would you not want to be like one of the most dominant 170lb fighters in the UFC?

Because he wants to win a title, I'd imagine.

Daniele_zing.gif

Until Khabib is submitted by a BJJ guy or two then this thread is the grappling version of bro science.

Sambo guys know guard passing, ground control and pinning. In MMA you do not need to submit people if you can punch them on the ground so highlighting a submission stat is not valid.

Remember folks, this is an American/ BJJ centric forum. The best Sambo guys in the world will not be posting here, doing videos or selling DVD's. Instead they will be dominating MMA shortly and more so in the next few years.

That's all great and fine, but before that, Rustam needs to train some BJJ.

Because he will learn how to defend against uppercuts and straights there? Or because he will learn how to defend the RNC while his brain is scrambled in a BJJ gym? Or because he will learn how to keep a really scrambly and talented wrestler down in a BJJ gym?

Please do elaborate.

Or: Maybe he gets the kind of training he needs already? Maybe it isn't as simple as just adding two tablespoons of BJJ?

Considering he trains at a gym where you have BJJ white belts that can keylock BJJ black belts like it ain't no thang, I'm leaning towards that.

Because he will learn how to defend against uppercuts and straights there? Or because he will learn how to defend the RNC while his brain is scrambled in a BJJ gym? Or because he will learn how to keep a really scrambly and talented wrestler down in a BJJ gym?

Please do elaborate.

Or: Maybe he gets the kind of training he needs already? Maybe it isn't as simple as just adding two tablespoons of BJJ?

Considering he trains at a gym where you have BJJ white belts that can keylock BJJ black belts like it ain't no thang, I'm leaning towards that.

Lol, relax. I wasn't being serious. The individual I quoted was getting slightly big headed with his Sambo.

I'm sure Rustam & Khabib both already train plenty of BJJ at Jackson's and AKA.

Because he wants to win a title, I'd imagine.

Just getting a title shot is more than 99.9999999999999% of MMA fighters will get. Minus GSP (Michael Jordan), Fitch would of been one of the more dominant WW of all time.

"Zing" or not, Fitch was the step man for the WW division for along time. Show some Hespect!:icon_neut

Rustam actually trained a lot of bjj for this fight. He was working with Tussa and coming to gbnm for our nogi classes. Tussa has a picture on his Instagram from Wednesday with Rustam even sporting a gb gi. Rustam did great last night Henderson is just a beast

Habib needs striking, not BJJ. His striking is, for the most part, pretty atrocious. Certainly not good enough to compete with the top guys at LW on the feet. As soon as he faces someone like Melendez who he can't take down? He's going to end up on the wrong side of his one-sided fights.

Khabib needs more bjj too, he seems very limited from his back and when on top he has poor control, Bendo was getting up all the time with little problem. But yeah, his TD and TDD are exceptional.

Lol, relax. I wasn't being serious. The individual I quoted was getting slightly big headed with his Sambo.

I'm sure Rustam & Khabib both already train plenty of BJJ at Jackson's and AKA.

While Jackson's may bring in BJJ guys to help emulate upcoming BJJ opponents, I actually think they don't even have a dedicated BJJ coach.

I may be wrong here though.

While Jackson's may bring in BJJ guys to help emulate upcoming BJJ opponents, I actually think they don't even have a dedicated BJJ coach.

I think that's a running joke. Yesterday I referred to him as Alexander Shlemenko and people freaked out.

Clearly lol.

He needs to work on his "submission defense post getting rocked" game.

Your post made me record this particular submission:

This...

Hughes-rocks-Almeida.gif

followed by this...

hugheschokept03.gif

Oh and it's Matt Hughes against multiple time BJJ champion Ricardo Almeida btw.

These guys do train BJJ. They can wear whatever shirts they like denigrating BJJ, but they train it, especially Khabib. They even do gi jiu jitsu at AKA.

If Khabib gets really serious with his BJJ game, this kid will really be unstoppable.

Googled Khabib and BJJ because I was curious how much he's trained it and stumbled on this old thread. Curious what the OP thinks of Khabib today?

Back