Khabib Nurmagomedov needs that BJJ Black Belt.

It doesn't take a whole lot to Knee On Belly someone to the floor (pinning them) while being well balanced and landing strikes in all directions, whether that be to the body or to the face. It also doesn't take a whole lot to land relentless GNP on your opponent while chilling in full mount (pinning them). Your myth has been busted, sir.

Doesnt take a lot. Lol.
"chilling" in the full mount. Lol.

This guy should fight in the ufc.

- International Master of Sports in Sambo
- Black Belt in Judo
- International Master of Sports in Pankration
- International Master of Sports in Hand-to-Hand combat
- Russian National Level in Freestyle Wrestling.

Khabib is a grappling beast. Nightmare to a lot of strikers. Can be considered as the best Grappler in the UFC, if not, definitely in the top 3 or 5.

But its not hard to see that something is missing in Khabib's tools. Its the BJJ and ground control. This is known for Sambo practitioners that ground control is not our best tool because we focus so much on throwing our opponent down. And you see this perfectly when Khabib is in the cage, because usually the story of the fight is watching him throw his opponent down, his opponent finds a way to get back to his feet only to get thrown down again, and we get this for 15 mins.

I'd like to see Khabib invest his time in BJJ, I know Leandro Vieira teaches BJJ over at AKA, and I hope Khabib is not skipping classes thinking it's too easy.

Just like Askren did, he was an elite wrestler, who added BJJ to his arsenal. Now he is a Brown Belt in BJJ, who not only will take your ass down to the ground but he will keep you there and work on passing guards and setting up a submission. Ben Askren is no fucking joke at 170, when Dana will take the stick out of his ass and sign this guy, he will be getting a title shot in not too long.

If Khabib gets really serious with his BJJ game, this kid will really be unstoppable.

What BJJ belt is he today ?

Does someone need to be any belt to compete under MMA rules?
-
This is known for Sambo practitioners that ground control is not our best tool because we focus so much on throwing our opponent down
-

This isn't main goal, main goal in service applications for LEO is full control with less possible damage.

Does someone need to be any belt to compete under MMA rules?
-

tenor.gif

He let's his opponents up so he can toss them again. He isn't trying to hold them down, someone of his pedigree could hold people down if he wanted.

Not sure how you can't grasp that after listing all those accomplishments.

You think BJJ is better at pinning than wrestling and Sambo!?!???!

Problem isn't his ability, problem is your viewing his game through BJJ tinted glasses, IMO.

"Khabib is just at the level of a really tough purple belt."

-- Keenan Cornelius, maybe.

Khabib is amazing at controlling people...

Last edited:
What BJJ belt is he today ?
White but you know what, he´s training to know more about his possible competition in the future, he doesn´t need a BJJ black belt.
I love BJJ and I do it as I do judo but can´t stand the fanatism of some guys, they think all ground basics are only well taught in BJJ which is a lie.

BJJ black belt or not, as a professional fighter Khabib always needs to learn and refine his techniques, any details can be a potential game changer in his fights

What is he missing? Is he not holding guys down from side or mount? I think he's too busy punching them in the head.

id trade my black belt for a ufc belt anyday also khabib doesnt play like a bjj guy bjj is more than submission grappling

He competed in NAGA grappling and he beat everybody
naga isnt very high level hell i won a advanced no gi division after 2 years training entered expert just to get a belt most high level blurs purples win those

It's like asking a Karate black belt for a pro boxer, sure he has better punches than the Karate master but, what's the point.

A BJJ or any martial arts blackbelt is a process not a prize.

"Khabib is just at the level of a really tough purple belt."

-- Keenan Cornelius, maybe.
I would rather learn jiu jitsu (as defined by what is allowed under jiu jitsu rules) from Khabib than Rickson.
I would bet on Khabib against a prime Rickson in an ibjjf nogi/adcc match with a ton of confidence and to a lesser extent in a gi one.

- International Master of Sports in Sambo
- Black Belt in Judo
- International Master of Sports in Pankration
- International Master of Sports in Hand-to-Hand combat
- Russian National Level in Freestyle Wrestling.

Khabib is a grappling beast. Nightmare to a lot of strikers. Can be considered as the best Grappler in the UFC, if not, definitely in the top 3 or 5.

But its not hard to see that something is missing in Khabib's tools. Its the BJJ and ground control. This is known for Sambo practitioners that ground control is not our best tool because we focus so much on throwing our opponent down. And you see this perfectly when Khabib is in the cage, because usually the story of the fight is watching him throw his opponent down, his opponent finds a way to get back to his feet only to get thrown down again, and we get this for 15 mins.

I'd like to see Khabib invest his time in BJJ, I know Leandro Vieira teaches BJJ over at AKA, and I hope Khabib is not skipping classes thinking it's too easy.

Just like Askren did, he was an elite wrestler, who added BJJ to his arsenal. Now he is a Brown Belt in BJJ, who not only will take your ass down to the ground but he will keep you there and work on passing guards and setting up a submission. Ben Askren is no fucking joke at 170, when Dana will take the stick out of his ass and sign this guy, he will be getting a title shot in not too long.

If Khabib gets really serious with his BJJ game, this kid will really be unstoppable.

If Khabib loose position it’s because his positional strategy is oriented to be able to GnP efficiently
From what I have seen his pressure on the ground is suffocating

I'm beginning to think that Khabib is unbeatable. And I'm also beginning to think that Sambo is better than BJJ. I can't see how a guy like Kron could beat Khabib. I also can't see how Tony can beat Khabib.

The only guy I'm giving a 30% chance of beating Khabib is Gregor Gillespie.

Otherwise, the man is unbeatable and unplayable.

I'm beginning to think that Khabib is unbeatable. And I'm also beginning to think that Sambo is better than BJJ. I can't see how a guy like Kron could beat Khabib. I also can't see how Tony can beat Khabib.

The only guy I'm giving a 30% chance of beating Khabib is Gregor Gillespie.

Otherwise, the man is unbeatable and unplayable.
I think Tony has the best chance. I'm so torn on it. My brain definitely says Khabib still wins.

A few factors just to throw them out there that I think could at least help Tony are:

1. His cardio. That's the biggest weapon. Whether he's on offense or defense he never gets tired. Ever. And he's mentally tough in a way that no one at 155 is besides maybe Khabib. He will fight offensively from every position and Khabib hasn't had to deal with someone that can actually do significant damage from their back before. And the mental toughness means he will probably be one of the only people Khabib could ever fight that won't be intimidated by him at all. That may or may not mean anything.

2. His vicious elbows. He seems to slice and dice people up. Bad. I could see a doctor stopping it between rounds depending on where the cuts are. He's able to strike efficiently from odd angles and even while retreating or even running away with his back turned. Tony has a lot more power in his hands than it looks like too.

3. Dustin's guillotine was deep. I don't know if I see Tony not finishing a guillotine or brabo that's as deep as what Dustin had today. Khabib rarely does takedowns in a way that leave his neck open, but this is the 3rd one now that I can think of and the deepest attempt. Tony's signature subs are from when he can snag a neck during their takedown attempt.

Both guys are batshit crazy, tough as nails, and have very interesting styles. It's definitely the fight that needs to happen.

Back