Khabib vs Maia - Who wins the grappling?

OK, now we're picking Khabib in a straight grappling match?? WTF, people

C'mon, Maia only out grappled Jacare in bjj once...

It's the cult of the amateur--anyone can get on and pretend to be an expert. Maia would handle Khabib in a straight grappling match for sure.

Stopped reading at "Nelson is a worse grappler than Khabib"
Both are highly decorated grapplers and both skilled fighters but Khabib has been more dominant.

Besides Khabib's TD game is worlds beyond Gunnar's. That is cannot be argued.

In MMA, I will take Khabib. Khabib is not going to be afraid of Maia's BJJ. When he has Maia in 50-50 positions, he will smash that dude. He is not going to waste time trying to be in complete control of the position before doing damage.

This is why Khabib is probably the only grappling-heavy fighter like enjoy watching. He doesn't wait for complete control to start the smashing. This is what separates him from the rest. I have seen other grapplers in the same positions as Khabib, but instead of smashing, they stall or try to get into a more controlling position.

They fail to realize how vulnerable the opponent is, because they are scared of being reversed themselves.
Wait a minute
Where are the numbers,all the statistics,how do you know how this goes without the numbers?

He's not that much bigger, though:

Here's khabib's father talking about Khabib's weight and why the move to WW is inevitable

khe.png

And Here is maia talking about his weight for Welterweight

“Now I’m not going to have to lose so much weight; I’m just going to cut the same as everyone else does and perform better. I’m weighing 88.5 kilos (195 lbs) right now; I’ll keep at 86 kg and do what everyone else in the division does, which is to drop to 77 kg by fight time,” added Demian, who hopes to get his Jiu-Jitsu to flow in the new division.

“If you look back at my results from when I’d compete in Jiu-Jitsu and my first fights in the UFC, they were great. And I’d normally weigh 86 kilos at that time. It was the time when I came up with the best results. So I hope I can get back to imposing my Jiu-Jitsu again; the battle with the scale doesn’t scare me.”

http://www.graciemag.com/en/2012/03/21/demian-maias-lesson-in-dropping-weight-in-the-ufc/

Maia seems bigger than he is because he has a lanky frame and has that old man grip strength that surprise people, but he's an average WW in terms of weight.

As for a grappling match-up, I'd favor Maia under all rules except MMA grappling, which involves striking, even then I think it would be a toss up.
The interview from Scout's video was mistranslated. Khabib's father says that he doesn't go over 187. Still not that big of a size difference.

Wait a minute
Where are the numbers,all the statistics,how do you know how this goes without the numbers?
He doesn't. Franc is a pretend expert who is very new to the sport.

He doesn't train and has no idea what he is talking about.

In his past, someone choked him out with bjj now he has a personal vendetta against it.

Yeah, Mir said Maia felt like he weighed a thousand pounds when he got top position on him. Said his technique is just unreal.
So let me get this straight
He taps Mir(or not never mind,still owns him by the story) but couldn't do shit to much smaller and weaker then Mir in Woodley and Colby?
Anyone believing Mir would lose to Maia on the ground needs a visit from a doctor.

So let me get this straight
He taps Mir(or not never mind,still owns him by the story) but couldn't do shit to much smaller and weaker then Mir in Woodley and Colby?
Anyone believing Mir would lose to Maia on the ground needs a visit from a doctor.
Did you watch the video/listen to what Mir said? In a strict grappling match, Maia choked him out five times in a row with the same choke. Then, when they trained again further down the road, Frank basically asked, "Hey, do you wanna go MMA style this time?" Demian said, "Oh yeah, I have a fight coming up, let's do it." So Frank got his revenge via some light striking and GnP. Moral of the story is that in a straight grappling match, Woodley and Colby would have suffered the same fate as Mir, only worse. In an MMA fight, it's a totally different story.

Did you watch the video/listen to what Mir said? In a strict grappling match, Maia choked him out five times in a row with the same choke. Then, when they trained again further down the road, Frank basically asked, "Hey, do you wanna go MMA style this time?" Demian said, "Oh yeah, I have a fight coming up, let's do it." So Frank got his revenge via some light striking and GnP. Moral of the story is that in a straight grappling match, Woodley and Colby would have suffered the same fate as Mir, only worse. In an MMA fight, it's a totally different story.
In a straight grappling match Mir would be like elephant on Maia when he would want to win and not play around.
This fiction stories don't interest or impress me.
Students of Marvel lmao

In a straight grappling match Mir would be like elephant on Maia when he would want to win and not play around.
This fiction stories don't interest or impress me.
Students of Marvel lmao
That's funny... Frank would tell you otherwise.

I highly doubt Maia could sweep Khabib. All in all, Khabib would be the best grappler he's ever been in there with. Tibau is a bad point, although he's slightly smaller than Maia, he's HEAVILY muscles and a great grappler. Guys like him are ridiculously hard to take down

Respectfully disagree. Shields, Munoz, and Weidman are all superior grapplers to Khabib either because of skill or size (Munoz was a 205).

He was basically a wash wifh all 3 on the groynd.

Yoy really thunk Khabib could impose his style on Colby or Kamaru?

Edit* Chael likely mauls Khabib.

Really...what's the best ground game Khabib ever beat? Tibau?

Mind you, Darren Elkins sub'd Michael Johnzon pretty much as soon as he got him down.

Couldn't take down Tibau...really like to see him against the likes of Ferg, Lee, and watch out fir Gregor Gillespie.

seriously? khabib could probably survive the ground game and make it to a decision but maia should win that battle. Sure Khabib has the wrestling and he can make it interesting with how hard he hits on the ground but I doubt he has the wrestling AND jujitsu combination of a Jake Shields for example.

Respectfully disagree. Shields, Munoz, and Weidman are all superior grapplers to Khabib either because of skill or size (Munoz was a 205).

He was basically a wash wifh all 3 on the groynd.

Yoy really thunk Khabib could impose his style on Colby or Kamaru?

Edit* Chael likely mauls Khabib.
I don't think chael would maul khabib BUT he definitely has the gas tank to make khabib really have to work and potentially gas out. it would be a fun fight actually

I don't know but it would fun to watch because Khabib would dive right into Maia's guard like Fedor did with Nog.

Back