Khabib's old man says no one can help Conor improve wrestling in time for UFC 229

OzoneX

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
“I think Conor understands that he wasn’t the real champion at 155,” Abdulmanap said. “He only fought against two lightweights and one of them choked him out. When he took the belt, there were about six lightweights who were stronger than him.

“There are a lot of fighters who deserve a title shot more than Conor. For example, Poirier. He can keep a high pace, he tries to finish opponents. Poirier is the real contender.”

“Let’s put together the best wrestling coaches from Dagestan, Japan, USA, Turkey . . . even they will not be able to prepare McGregor for this fight in three months,” Abdulmanap said. “No one can help him. You can’t do that in such a short time. He needs to start studying it from the beginning. To improve his wrestling in several months, it’s impossible."

“Only a referee can protect Conor, that’s why he will be in the cage.”

Khabib's dad foresees a complete demolition of Conor.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2018/8/...gor-improve-his-wrestling-in-time-for-ufc-229

Dude, Fuckin' Al Iaquinta was stuffing take downs.

giphy.gif

He's probably drunk.

It's sad when the past generations live through their children. He's basically a russian version of 'Dance moms'

Conor has been training with a national level Moldovan wrestler since the Eddie fight, grappling with Danis since pre-Diaz 2, Helen Maroulis visited and trained with Conor for a week last year after she won olympic gold, and national moldovan wrestlers have been training at SBG since the start of the year. This "a few weeks won't help" stuff is funny because this is all common knowledge. They have been preparing for Khabib all year.

maroulis.jpg

DZjM3sZW0AA6vWl.jpg

cono12-550x360.jpg

Al has been wrestling since he was a kid. Conor has not been.

So a dude who wrestled in high school and a community college can compete with Khabib but a guy like McGregor can't?

I liked his line about conor having the hips of a lady figure skater

So a dude who wrestled in high school and a community college can compete with Khabib but a guy like McGregor can't?
I wouldn't say he competed but he's definitely a better wrestler then Conor.

There's only one MMA dad that I care about, and we all know who his boy is.

That left is overrated and might have worked on 145 pound midgets.

Didn't work very well on journeyman Nate Diaz, did it.

To be fair, almost no one has been able to KO Diaz, so not like he is some journeyman who regularly gets KOd all the time and Mac couldn't do it.

The spirit of what I think he is saying is correct.

You simply can't start from an average place, train a few months and match someone who has been wrestling focused since he was in the womb. The learning curve is simply too steep.

That doesn't mean though, that he can't make meaningful improvements, and that there is a straight line between pure wrestling and wrestling in a MMA context.

Conor usually does a great job at managing distance and making transitions between striking and grappling difficult...can't wait for the fight.

Last edited:
Back