News Kickboxing receives recognition by IOC

Well, if you want to do away with boxing, and TKD, sure put in KB. I just think its either or, and not all three.
The more combat sports the better. The Olympics has too many shitty sports that we can do away with to make space for kickboxing.

Well, if you want to do away with boxing, and TKD, sure put in KB. I just think its either or, and not all three.
they should also replace swimming, running and cycling since they have triathlon

Doesnt the World Combat Games have FTR and other faithful rule sets? Not sure why the olympics have these hang ups.

The Olympics are a joke. The Karate gold metalist won via getting knocked out, LOL...

It's not the Olympics though but rather that Karate ruleset. I've been disqualified for less in national WKF tournaments in my teens :/

You're not supposed to make contact / land with damage. It's a point scoring system and if you make contact it means you were not in control of your strike and therefore it's a foul. No wonder why I ended up in Kyokushin and Muay Thai years later :D

If the likes of Karate and TKD have to be watered down for Olympic participation, imagine what they would do to Muay Thai.

That Karate ruleset (WKF Kumite) is exactly the same as before the Olympics so it hasn't been watered down. Not sure about Tae Kwon Do, but the Olympics do have amateur boxing and that hasn't been watered down AFAIK.

That Karate ruleset (WKF Kumite) is exactly the same as before the Olympics so it hasn't been watered down. Not sure about Tae Kwon Do, but the Olympics do have amateur boxing and that hasn't been watered down AFAIK.

If that's the case, my point still stands. It demonstrates the level of violence the Olympics considers acceptable. No way they would allow FTR without any modifications if you can't even have KK.

With regards to Olympic boxing, from what I've seen there is a lower threshold for getting a TKO/KO.

If that's the case, my point still stands. It demonstrates the level of violence the Olympics considers acceptable. No way they would allow FTR without any modifications if you can't even have KK.

With regards to Olympic boxing, from what I've seen there is a lower threshold for getting a TKO/KO.

It's not because of the level of contact that they didn't take KK, more to do with what is more established in terms of sports and associations. Kyokushin is very spread unfortunately.

If you can have KO's like this:

I don't see why you can't have amateur MT with elbow pads.

It's not because of the level of contact that they didn't take KK, more to do with what is more established in terms of sports and associations. Kyokushin is very spread unfortunately.

If you can have KO's like this:

This is why a lot of people have their eye on the WFKO. Maybe they can finally offer the level of unity Knockdown karate needs to be more widely recognized.

This is why a lot of people have their eye on the WFKO. Maybe they can finally offer the level of unity Knockdown karate needs to be more widely recognized.

Over the last decade the Kyokushin World Union (KWU) did quite well towards that goal too: http://www.kwunion.com/about-kwu/

It's sad that one of its founding fathers, Hanshi Steve Arneil, passed away recently. RIP.

Which is not FTR, which is what I was saying in the first place, not that they wouldn't have any form of MT.

But I seriously doubt they would allow elbow strikes even with padding.

Which is not FTR, which is what I was saying in the first place, not that they wouldn't have any form of MT.

But I seriously doubt they would allow elbow strikes even with padding.

That's how the pro MT fights are sanctioned in countries like France. It's pretty much FTR other than the elbow pads to avoid cuts.

One you remove the potential cuts (sometimes gashes) and blood from elbows strikes, they're not any more violent than a kick, knee or punch.

Back