Kickboxing Source Material

Paolo Delutis

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Just a quick request, im curious to know what people on here think about the following question.

What kickboxer past or present is the best representative for the style itself , meaning if someone who has never seen or heard of Kickboxing ( what a lost soul) who would you say is the very embodiment of the style of kickboxing.

It can be in the general sense of kickboxing or a specific style and its best representative ( dutch, french,sanshou ETC ).

Can be any weight class, just needs to be the best textbook representation or true representation of said style

Thanks ! My reason for asking is for case studying and real world fight study to improve my knowledge as being a coach in the future is something I would not mind doing at all, as well as fighting/training

Giorgio Petrosyan.

Not only is he the best kickboxer, he’s also the perfect kickboxer. A perfect combination between Buakaw’s kicking abilities and Masato’s punching skills.

His prime was from 2009-2012, with wins over Khem and Sudsakorn who were both monsters at the time and unbeaten for 2 years.

By nature of Kickboxing being a hybrid striking sport, there isn't really a true style outside of what people take with them going into it. Considering how you want to be a coach in the future, it would likely be more beneficial for your learning to analyze the trends from particular communities (i.e., Thais like to throw body kicks and teeps, Dutchmen/Moroccan-Dutch like to use combinations, low kicks and knees, Japanese LOVE that inside low kick without a switch, as well as using a large variety of kicks in general) and see how these tendencies coincide with how the fighters from a given area use their defense, utilize footwork to dictate range and from what position/angles exchanges will occur, the most common stances and guard positions, HOW they use their hands and feet (i.e., Dutchmen tend to use their hands for power shots, most Thai Kickboxers use their hands to setup their kicks). For every action they do, ask WHY - and how that 'why' falls into the system(s) you see before you. Once you really start digging into the nuts and bolts of this stuff, you will quickly see that styles in Kickboxing don't exist in the same way Kyokushin Karate and Shotokan Karate do - 'Dutch Kickboxing' is not a real style, same as Japanese, and so on.

For Dutch kickboxing I would say that Robin van Roosmalen and Chahid Oulad el Hadj are stereotypical fighters of that style.
If we go back further in time Rob Kaman really represented the style as he was called Mr. Low Kick.

But there is also not one Dutch kickboxing style. Every fighter has its own qualities and signature moves and you can also see the influence of different coaches. Styles also evolve and fighters adapt.

For instance, I would classify Andy Souwer, Robin van Roosmalen and Nieky Holzken as having a Dutch kickboxing style, but they all fight differently.

By nature of Kickboxing being a hybrid striking sport, there isn't really a true style outside of what people take with them going into it. Considering how you want to be a coach in the future, it would likely be more beneficial for your learning to analyze the trends from particular communities (i.e., Thais like to throw body kicks and teeps, Dutchmen/Moroccan-Dutch like to use combinations, low kicks and knees, Japanese LOVE that inside low kick without a switch, as well as using a large variety of kicks in general) and see how these tendencies coincide with how the fighters from a given area use their defense, utilize footwork to dictate range and from what position/angles exchanges will occur, the most common stances and guard positions, HOW they use their hands and feet (i.e., Dutchmen tend to use their hands for power shots, most Thai Kickboxers use their hands to setup their kicks). For every action they do, ask WHY - and how that 'why' falls into the system(s) you see before you. Once you really start digging into the nuts and bolts of this stuff, you will quickly see that styles in Kickboxing don't exist in the same way Kyokushin Karate and Shotokan Karate do - 'Dutch Kickboxing' is not a real style, same as Japanese, and so on.

Fair points.. perhaps my language was incorrect and apologies for that in grouping things into a style vs culture....but the majority of your post was helpful and got to the root of what im looking for i appreciate the knowledge! I will use this to dig deeper

For Dutch kickboxing I would say that Robin van Roosmalen and Chahid Oulad el Hadj are stereotypical fighters of that style.
If we go back further in time Rob Kaman really represented the style as he was called Mr. Low Kick.

But there is also not one Dutch kickboxing style. Every fighter has its own qualities and signature moves and you can also see the influence of different coaches. Styles also evolve and fighters adapt.

For instance, I would classify Andy Souwer, Robin van Roosmalen and Nieky Holzken as having a Dutch kickboxing style, but they all fight differently.

Well said , thanks.. Nieky Holzken is unreal same with Andy Souwer and your right although their roots are the same they fight differently ..

Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kechan123
Back