Kickboxing sparring help

Tommyisda1

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hi, I just recently started sparring Thai boxing. I find out that I have a hesitation to get into the range where I can land my shots (especially my cross), can anyone help me with this issue? BTW this isn't hard sparring just technical, is it because I am focusing too much on my opponent's arms which creates this hesitation? Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks all.

I'm no expert, and others will be able to give you better advice. But for me partner drilling helped a lot, just getting used to your range and blocking shots that you know are coming (since it's a drill) helps to get you more comfortable in front of your opponent.
Also, try to set you cross up with jabs first and then a one two. This will help you find the range and also test your opponent's reactions.
I also look at my opponent's chest rather than his limbs.
Also, ask you partner to take it easy on you while you get comfortable.

I am currently drilling exercises to get use to absorbing shots and not flinching too much at them is that good for getting rid of the fear of getting hit?

I am currently drilling exercises to get use to absorbing shots and not flinching too much at them is that good for getting rid of the fear of getting hit?
Just drill 20% defense drills whether you go kick for kick with your partner practicing each block with minimal damage for muscle memory.

In sparring if you feel nervous or hesitant because your most likely worried about the counter, then do what I do, take a breath and say fuck it to yourself in your head and just fire it, don't think soo much, you'll freeze up and get picked apart, take calculated fuck it risks while keeping a broken rhythm of jabs, leg kicks and selective shots mixed with bursts. The more you get hit the more you get use to it.

you will take more risks as you get more confident, and you will get more confidence from taking risks.
Just as long as your partner isnt gonna follow up on a good shot. I was always thought going hard was the best way to learn, provided that both guys want to keep their sparring partner confident, healthy and progressing.
its all about finding out how to land that one clean shot that puts the ball in your court in a fight. Any asshole can whale on a guy when he is hurt or has been made timid.
Keep building your sparring intensity on egoless, equal terms, two partners trying to improve together, and stop and reset if a good one lands.

Hi, I just recently started sparring Thai boxing. I find out that I have a hesitation to get into the range where I can land my shots (especially my cross), can anyone help me with this issue? BTW this isn't hard sparring just technical, is it because I am focusing too much on my opponent's arms which creates this hesitation? Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks all.

this is going to sound too simple/easy but........if you wan to improve your cross, you need to throw it a million times. So drill it to death on the bag and pads. Do that for 3 months, by the end of 3 months, your cross will have improved.

How fast should I be sparring? and should i avoid using headgear?

Last edited:
This might sound weird but practise throwing more jabs. Throwing the cross feels unnatural because naturally you won't be in the range to throw the cross. A good way to det up the cross is by getting your distance right with the jab and then follow up with the cross.

Practice throwing it over and over on pads and heavy bag. Focus on recognizing your effective distance for landing it. After landing (or missing) be sure to bring it back to protect your face... too many let it hang out there to watch it.

To be honest there’s no real science to it. I could waste both of our time and give you some convoluted advice about how to set your shots up proper foot work, blah blah blah. The secret is to just keep doing it and find a style that works for you. If anything the best advice I could give is to not over think it don’t expect to wax all your sparring partners right off the bat.

I find that I hesitate to step in for my range to become effective, I think I its because I think of the punches my opponent will throw when I come in.

Sorry for making this post active again, but i dont have enough posts to make a new thrade and maybe is better like that. I have 2 week's of kickbox training, i sparred from the second day. I am very good when i kick, i kick a lot. When i am kicking is all good, i land almost every kick, even with 4 month's partners. But when someone avoid my teep or lowkick, and enter in my punching area. And starts a punch rain. Like a lot of hooks, uppercuts, jabs, a lot of 3 and 4's. I keep my guard up, i am like a shell. I take a lot of punches, mostly in arms because of the guard, some in the ears. But if my partner doesent tire, i cant leave that punch raining. I tried, teeps, lowkick neither doesent work because they are to close. I cant hit them in any way. Backing up doesent work. I tried a lot, because i cant leave that puncing rain. Today my sparing partner landed me a punch that blew up my nose. A lot of blood. I need some help, i cant really figure how to leave that punching rain.

Sorry for making this post active again, but i dont have enough posts to make a new thrade and maybe is better like that. I have 2 week's of kickbox training, i sparred from the second day. I am very good when i kick, i kick a lot. When i am kicking is all good, i land almost every kick, even with 4 month's partners. But when someone avoid my teep or lowkick, and enter in my punching area. And starts a punch rain. Like a lot of hooks, uppercuts, jabs, a lot of 3 and 4's. I keep my guard up, i am like a shell. I take a lot of punches, mostly in arms because of the guard, some in the ears. But if my partner doesent tire, i cant leave that punch raining. I tried, teeps, lowkick neither doesent work because they are to close. I cant hit them in any way. Backing up doesent work. I tried a lot, because i cant leave that puncing rain. Today my sparing partner landed me a punch that blew up my nose. A lot of blood. I need some help, i cant really figure how to leave that punching rain.
If you're just a beginner, I would suggest not to spar with people who have trained 4 months. Spar with experienced people or do not spar until you have mastered he techniques better

It's not my choice man. We have 4 rounds of sparring every training. Today i sparred 2 hours. And the most experienced ones, teached me a lot. We have 2-3 days for sparring special. I spar with 4 months trained ones, i take a beating, but they talk to me, they show me their technique. I like to spar.

Pretty ridiculous to have someone sparring on day 2. The only thing that will make you improve in punching range is training and experience. When you get thrown to the wolves like that it makes it difficult to learn the fundamentals and then apply them. Since you are in that situation you have to make it clear to your partners that you need to develop skills in those situations so to take it easy but 4 months is nothing as well so they may not be the best partners.

I have some technique, i can defend myself with chin down and guard up, i dont go back. I dont blink, i dont make myself as a shell with head down. My school is great, they know what they are doing. Many champs leaved this school. But some techniques are harder and harder to understand. Like escaping a punch rain. I dont take to many punches, i defend them. But is hard to escape from that rain.

I have some technique, i can defend myself with chin down and guard up, i dont go back. I dont blink, i dont make myself as a shell with head down. My school is great, they know what they are doing. Many champs leaved this school. But some techniques are harder and harder to understand. Like escaping a punch rain. I dont take to many punches, i defend them. But is hard to escape from that rain.
Being rained down on with punches is hard to deal with no matter your skill level. Sometimes you just have to throw back in those situations even if it puts you at risk of getting hit. If your gym is going to throw you into those situations they should also be doing drills on how to deal with them. I've done everything from having one person with their back to a wall while the partner is all punch offense and you sit back just defending while building intensity, to spinning around until you get dizzy then having your partner come at you with combinations. You need to be doing specific drills, nothing that someone on a message board can tell you that will just solve that.

Walk forwards. Peer through the centre of your guard and get your guard against his chest/face to face.
Time to learn the plum if this is Muay Thai or put straight knees in to his belly.

Some news after about a week. After your tips, and my coaches tips. I learned how to overcome a punch rain. I step in and counter with a shot almost all the time. This is all i need to do, i have almost a month, and i understand now. Practicing every day. Thanks guys.

Last edited:
As many said here....

Too.much mind...your worrying about something that may or may not happen...instead of making something happen for certain..

Like all big and important things in life..you have to commit at some point your gunna have to just go and let your hands go...for each fighter that moment is different...sometime it comes from getting hit enough times waiting that your tired of being hit and just let it go...other people it comes from feeling ready from months of preparation and conditioning...others are born with it and it just flows from them...

Theres no right or wrong answer to help you directly but my advice would be to commit ...the sport/style your doing is about hitting your opponent and trying to stop them in competition or in real life...at some.point you must enter the fray and get your mind to agree with what your body has learned ..this is accomplished through committing to your techniques and there execution...none of the techniques you learned up until this point or the future with be of any use unless you commit to using them..and follow thru

Back