kicking method

It makes sense i'll try it out. kinda the opposite of my power leg kicks. I actually like to bend my knees hard to lower my body for extra force downward to combine with the round momentum. i suppose upwards force would add force as well, though you are working against gravity. i suppose its a lot less hard on your knees.

contender asia 1, i knew i saw him before

Man, now I really want to know how his fight with Sakmongkol got sanctioned.
Let's put some amateur guy up against a former Lumpinee stadium champ, what could possibly go wrong?

nate smandych or however you spell it is if I remember correctly, from cananda, and what could be considered "low level" pro. Meaning he was pro with not so many fights. Not sure of his amatuer record. Signing up for contender asian is how that fight happened. pros against pros, it was the muay thai version of TUF. it was really cool, i suggest you watch it if you havent already, the whole entire series is on youtube. best fight of the show IMO was dzhabarar askerov vs david paquette. back to nate, although he was clearly outmatched, he showed big hear and courage in that fight and earned everyones respect. I know that he also fought paul karpocawicz.

was just searching him up, guess it was trevor smandych, theres also a nate smandych.

Never in my entire life, after over 20 years in martial arts, 2 black belts, god knows how many styles, have I ever heard of anyone suggesting getting as high as possible on the ball of your kicking foot was a thing you would do until this video. I'm so confused.

Really? That genuinely surprises me.

Really? That genuinely surprises me.

I had a Judo instructor that really knew he stuff and would teach techniques in entirely different ways based on the body type of the student. I wondered when I first read this thread if because I'm so tall, no one ever bothered to teach me this different way of kicking. But considering the sheer overwhelming volume, thousands of people I've trained with over the years in dozens of different schools with high level MAs, many pro fighters... I don't understand how I am not familiar with tippie toes as you kick.

Another thought was everyone just ignored my kicking since I came from a kicking background and there wasn't much left to teach me, but that isn't true either. MT in my area is pretty well developed and I have plenty left to learn.

I dunno, oh well.

I had a Judo instructor that really knew he stuff and would teach techniques in entirely different ways based on the body type of the student. I wondered when I first read this thread if because I'm so tall, no one ever bothered to teach me this different way of kicking. But considering the sheer overwhelming volume, thousands of people I've trained with over the years in dozens of different schools with high level MAs, many pro fighters... I don't understand how I am not familiar with tippie toes as you kick.

Another thought was everyone just ignored my kicking since I came from a kicking background and there wasn't much left to teach me, but that isn't true either. MT in my area is pretty well developed and I have plenty left to learn.

I dunno, oh well.

yeah it surprised me as well, generally speaking, up on the toes/ball of foot is the way its taught at most places. Many thais kick this way as well. it wasnt until a few years ago that I learned about all this flat footed stuff, which is generally taught not to do. my old coach wanted me to knee flat footed as well, which i simply couldnt do effectively, some stuff works for some, other stuff works for others.

@fluffball

-I feel longer. It may sound stupid for so little length added, but i feel that i can stretch my legs more when I'm high on the ball.
-I feel that my rotation is faster.
-And I feel that my rotation back after the kick, is faster and smoother, that i have a better control over it.

The more flat i am (as you said, not fully), the more heavy/compact i feel. Which is not necessarily a bad thing in some situations.

And i don't feel i loose a big amount of power.

Funny think is that i was taught that way both in MT and TKD ITF...

But in the end of the day, i think it's like shinchekin said... It's probably a personal preference, and wont have a huge difference.
But it just feels right for me.
less surface area=less friction=more speed of rotation.

I dunno, oh well.
i'm mostly into boxing, but i'm a big believer in people finding what works best for their body type and natural instincts. if someone is naturally a straight puncher you work on keeping the elbows in and getting weight on their punches, if someone is a hooker you work on shortening their hooks and closing the gap

it's a basic principle in dancing. dancers always turn on the points of their toes, for balance and rotation speed.

Dancers don't violently decide they need to stop turning midway though the pirouette. :p
true. it certainly doe's change things. although i prefer hitting the target to check the momentum, wears you out to much otherwise.

Back