kicking speed

shincheckin

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
not sure if should post this here or in strength and conditioning section? got a few questions.

1) kicking drills to improve speed?

2) what exact muscles are used in kicking? a picture or diagram or something would be great.

3) exercises to improve the kicking muscles?

Man. Dont fall into my critique. I am not a fighter, I am white collar hobbyist who trains to keep in shape and learn a bit how to fight. I am not sure if someone else in your video topic commented on the speed of your kicks. Only according to me I noticed you look more explosive with hands than with kicks. But again do not listen to me. You may be pretty fine. I am no one and not competent enough to critique you.

Now if you want to work on lower body explosiveness - sprints, agility drills, step sprints, cleans and snatches, jumps is the way to go. All of that will improve also your stability so you may feel more comfortable going faster.

I think @Sano can help more as he seems the most educated person in stand up when it comes to exercising.

well as with any martial arts strike, if you are doing it correctly you should be using every muscle in your body. but would mainly be core and legs. ilk's already got you on the exercises he said more i would have i would have just said sprints and jumps. look up how to train fast twitch muscles, that is what you want.

now if you want to train the muscles used most heavily in kicks, practice kicks. get a bag and take it slow first make sure ur form is good and just do the kick over and over if you do it enough you will KNOW which muscles are used the most you will feel it.

the trick for strikes is to make your muscles fast not strong. force is mass x acceleration.

P.S. you probably should post this in conditioning as well for more exercise oriented advice vs technique advice you are more likely to get from here

well as with any martial arts strike, if you are doing it correctly you should be using every muscle in your body. but would mainly be core and legs. ilk's already got you on the exercises he said more i would have i would have just said sprints and jumps. look up how to train fast twitch muscles, that is what you want.

now if you want to train the muscles used most heavily in kicks, practice kicks. get a bag and take it slow first make sure ur form is good and just do the kick over and over if you do it enough you will KNOW which muscles are used the most you will feel it.

the trick for strikes is to make your muscles fast not strong. force is mass x acceleration.

P.S. you probably should post this in conditioning as well for more exercise oriented advice vs technique advice you are more likely to get from here
bro i just saw your kicks on your other post, maybe take what i say with a grain of salt, you're already good enough at kicking to make me respect your kicks in a fight.

not sure if should post this here or in strength and conditioning section? got a few questions.

2) what exact muscles are used in kicking? a picture or diagram or something would be great.

also you could try different techniques since a muay thai kick is more power oriented, try a karate style round kick, mix em up up together. sorry for spamming your post op i will stop now

Man. Dont fall into my critique. I am not a fighter, I am white collar hobbyist who trains to keep in shape and learn a bit how to fight. I am not sure if someone else in your video topic commented on the speed of your kicks. Only according to me I noticed you look more explosive with hands than with kicks. But again do not listen to me. You may be pretty fine. I am no one and not competent enough to critique you.

Now if you want to work on lower body explosiveness - sprints, agility drills, step sprints, cleans and snatches, jumps is the way to go. All of that will improve also your stability so you may feel more comfortable going faster.

I think @Sano can help more as he seems the most educated person in stand up when it comes to exercising.

i have been told this before, by my coach. maybe my kicks arent "slow" but they could be faster. we can always improve somewhere someway somehow.

i appreciate your suggestions although I dont know if just kicking the bag is going to do it. 1 day a week in my training I focus on just kicks. There have been days when I have gone out and literally kicked the bag for 3 hours. perhaps its in the "way" i was kicking the bag. I recenlty just tried throwing them as fast as possible where as before I was only concerned with power. so maybe 3 hours of that will work lol

I'm just thinking out loudly here since I'm not a Muay Thai practitioner. Perhaps kettlebell swings and dancing exercise drills could help. With my experience, learning how to tango dance had helped with my footwork, especially with my awareness when moving around in the ring.

I'm just thinking out loudly here since I'm not a Muay Thai practitioner. Perhaps kettlebell swings and dancing exercise drills could help. With my experience, learning how to tango dance had helped with my footwork, especially with my awareness when moving around in the ring.

lol

joking aside, prince naseem had amazing footwork, i also found video of him dancing before. I think it was some kind of "cultural" dancing he did, he carried it over with him to the ring.

Has anyone ever tried wearing ankle weights while kicking? Kind of like how some boxers shadow box with small dumbbells. The weights will slow you down but at the same time forces you to engage all the kicking muscles. Once you remove the weights, you should see a greater speed and power to your kicks.

I would say that like punching, kicking speed is mainly a technical question. You seem to already know mechanic very well. Core and abs, good understanding of body rotation and relaxation. About training, i think isometric+explosive and/or plyometric exercices a good thing for speed and poWer.
Exception of one exercice which is knee blaster in this video, you have a good exemple of leg conditionning for kicks

lol

joking aside, prince naseem had amazing footwork, i also found video of him dancing before. I think it was some kind of "cultural" dancing he did, he carried it over with him to the ring.

Prince Naseem was awesome. Lol I blame my mom for making me dance and now you’ll never find me on the dance floor.

Prince Naseem was awesome. Lol I blame my mom for making me dance and now you’ll never find me on the dance floor.

my mom wanted me to do gymnastics as a kid with my sister. I didnt want to do it cause i thought it was "gay". looking back I should have done it. Same thing goes for "karate" she took me to this place where the guy was teaching I dunno what exactly but when I look back on it now, it was some type of muay thai kickboxing karate hybrid etc. but I didnt want to do it cause I wanted to be tough and box. years later I almost started tkd but my friend convinced me it was also gay. shoulda coulda woulda but didnta

I would say that like punching, kicking speed is mainly a technical question. You seem to already know mechanic very well. Core and abs, good understanding of body rotation and relaxation. About training, i think isometric+explosive and/or plyometric exercices a good thing for speed and poWer.
Exception of one exercice which is knee blaster in this video, you have a good exemple of leg conditionning for kicks

good stuff, thanks dude

For me speed is more in the technique rather than attributes

Has anyone ever tried wearing ankle weights while kicking? Kind of like how some boxers shadow box with small dumbbells. The weights will slow you down but at the same time forces you to engage all the kicking muscles. Once you remove the weights, you should see a greater speed and power to your kicks.

Resistance band is better imo

From my personal experience:

2 main ways you can kick faster.
Either you change your kicking technique to a method that is faster.
Either you keep your style, but train it to be faster with it.

Obviously, you can have a mix of those two.
You will loose some power, there's no way around it but it's up to you to adapt to something that suits you.

If you want to change your technique, it's a bit too complicate for me to give proper explanation through a forum. It mainly involve the snap at the knee, different angles, different use of the hips...
My suggestion is to go to a TKD school and explain that you just want to learn faster kicks for your MT. I was lucky enough to find an open minded TKD ITF guy, but i still had to do the Katas etc...
It may not be the faster way to learn, but it's probably the best way. But you have to keep in mind, it's a different style, with a different purpose. You will have to readapt what you learn there for MT.

My kicks are faster, my reaction time is faster, my distance management is better, i see more openings, i have more kicking tools, better flexibility, less telegraphed strikes, more feints, and learned to use both my legs, and both stances... All of those are making me a faster athlete in general.
I think that after the first 2 years of cross training, i started to see a real difference. I understand if it's seems a long time, but for me it was well worth it.

Probably some Karate schools can suit your needs... But I'm not familiar enough with them to suggest one.

Now if you want to keep your style, and just do some exercises, that's what I've got:

-Flexibility has a huge role with it. It will sound bizarre, but when your mind knows it safe to kick at a certain hight without risking injury, it allows you to bypass some security measures it has for you to not get hurt. Subconsciously limiting the speed is one of them. That's why it's easier to throw full extended punches when shadow boxing, but when it's come to kicks, and there is no target, you either slow down, or don't fully extended your legs...

-Work on your balance. Learn how your body react when throwing a fast kick in different situations. If you miss your target, or if you are countered... It's not the same when you strike harder but slower...

-You said you started kicking the heavy bag with speed in mind instead of power. I can guarantee you that is the first and best method to train faster kicks... But it's a long road. You must change your training mentality from power to speed. Not only on the bags, but on the pads, and while shadowing...

-Shadow boxing at full speed with kicks is fakin hard. For MT, our roundhouse go through the target, so we must spin 360° every time we kick fast... After a few kicks, it's not really doable for long. But you can change you angle, make it a more upward movement, and that will limit the need to rotate fully... But again, it's something that might change your technique.
You might need to "relearn" that instead of spinning if missing the target, to put your kicking leg in front of you, while switching position.
Another way is to just start the movement fast, without going through it with same speed, or even fully extend the legs.

-Have a partner hold boxing mitts for you. Not MT kicking pao. Regular small boxing mitts for punches. Usually we use just one in TKD. Have your partner showing it suddenly, at different high, regular or switch. You have to kick it as fast as possible (with the instep), but try to keep a good technique. That will improve your kicking speed and reaction time.

-Resistance bands are a very a good help.

-Drills for explosiveness, instead of just muscling up you legs... Sprints, fast double jumps from squad position etc...

-My opinion is that speed drills should be done fresh. There is no point of working your muscle memory for speed, when you're dead tired and slower than a dead sloth.

-I don't find that you have a slow kick, just some time your repositioning. So keep that in mind when you drill kicks, that you have to put your leg back as fast as it was raised...

You will have to readapt your whole training with speed in mind instead of power. And it might take some time. But that doesn't mean you will loose power when you need it. You wont suddenly forget how to kick hard. You just have to find the right balance for you, learn to have different types of kicks for different needs...fast vs power, or a mix of them....

Last edited:
@shincheckin why not work on timing rather than speed. Its how I've been taught, rely more on timing than speed, everyone has to reload their gun so thats the time to strike.

-My opinion is that speed drills should be done fresh. There is no point of working your muscle memory for speed, when you're dead tired and slower than a dead sloth.
That's the basis of speed work, alot of people misunderstand it, and it ends up being a conditioning session. Speed work is like to max effort strength work, its a 100% burst, can't be done exhausted

Interesting read.... very interesting read, actually.

http://eastmeetswest.com/the-speed-training-of-bruce-lee-in-jeet-kune-do/

In my own JKD training I do pretty much all of it. When you really break it down, speed isn't just achieved by physical ability but by being deceptive, smart, and being in the right position for it. If we ever network up and meet up I can share and demonstrate to you. But, I dont like sharing some of my personal secrets too much. I know it sounds Kung Fuey, but it's true. No one wants to give away their best tools publicly haha. The article above should give you some ideas about speed, which is overall for hands and feet.

Hope we can meet up next summer or something!

2) what exact muscles are used in kicking? a picture or diagram or something would be great

I have been thinking about this for the past while. I am sure there must be something that can be worked on, personally my kicks have power and are relatively quick. My left kick (switch or flicked) is fast enough, however i find my right kick seems to get caught a bit more, its landing, however getting caught from there and I am having to fight it out.

I think conditioning must be the way forward, working on fast twitch muscles. We have been doing some reaction work in the gym which has really helped with hand speed so looking to take that into my kicks.

-Shadow boxing at full speed with kicks is fakin hard. For MT, our roundhouse go through the target, so we must spin 360° every time we kick fast... After a few kicks, it's not really doable for long. But you can change you angle, make it a more upward movement, and that will limit the need to rotate fully... But again, it's something that might change your technique.
You might need to "relearn" that instead of spinning if missing the target, to put your kicking leg in front of you, while switching position.
Another way is to just start the movement fast, without going through it with same speed, or even fully extend the legs.

I started in TKD when I was young before learning MT much later on in my life. Even after my instructor tried to fix my kicks and make me do them the MT way, I still have a more upward path on my kicks and have my knee bent a bit more than most. Nearly everyone else in my class would spin all the way around on a missed kick but I'd drop my kicking leg down in front then either pivot back to my original stance or continue from the opposite stance. TKD definitely helps with the speed & balance of kicks.

Also, if it works for Saenchai and Singdam, it's something worth doing.
Saenchai teaches dropping the kicking leg down in front so you're ready to defend.

In this fight, you can see Singdam's kicks come up pretty straight instead of out and around. Right at the start of the 2nd round and again at 3:45 you get to see his kicks from a straight on angle. Singdam also misses a few kicks in round 2 but he does what Saenchai teaches in his seminar, his kicking leg comes down in front instead of spinning all the way around.

my mom wanted me to do gymnastics as a kid with my sister. I didnt want to do it cause i thought it was "gay". looking back I should have done it. Same thing goes for "karate" she took me to this place where the guy was teaching I dunno what exactly but when I look back on it now, it was some type of muay thai kickboxing karate hybrid etc. but I didnt want to do it cause I wanted to be tough and box. years later I almost started tkd but my friend convinced me it was also gay. shoulda coulda woulda but didnta
lol same for wrestling with me. I was afraid of letting people see my junk by wearing a singlet.

Back