Kicking the calf vs kicking the thigh, which is the better leg kick technique?

Bobbybackpack

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I spar in Muay Thai regularly (usually hard and against bigger guys often) and have the goal of competing in MMA in the near future. I'm around 5"6 140 lbs. I find a lot of success landing naked leg kicks against almost anyone mainly due to speed and timing (instead of throwing combos first). When I kick lower, it puts them off balance allowing me to land punches. When I kick the thigh, It either makes more noise or it feels like I did more damage coz you're hitting more meat basically. Although you have to come closer, you're safer when kicking lower coz Its harder to check lower I think and it's nearly impossible to catch (which is useful when fighting wrestlers in MMA). Trading with a right hand is hard when off balance.

What I really want to know is which one does more DAMAGE for the rest of the fight with the FEWER KICKS? Finally, which one affects movement more and the ability to throw power punches with weight on the damaged leg.

Those calf kicks are causing chaos these days

I'll go with thigh, but they both suck..

dczgwo.gif

Id say thigh kicks definitely will start effecting their movement sooner (tho with calf kicks you may straight up injure em so yknow)

Im a bit squimish about shin to shin kicks so i dont throw leg kicks often. Especially since due to my karate background i land with the foot fairly often so i risk injuring myself.

Id say calf kicks are safer and against someone who doesnt check well, they can easily win you fights.
If you want to sap their movement fast go for the thigh but its riskier to get countered

Remember, my question is which one does more damage and affects movement quicker.

Remember, my question is which one does more damage and affects movement quicker.
Thigh for sure. Just think back to all the next-day leg selfies from fighters brutalized by leg kicks. It is always thigh.

I love to eat chicken thighs... so thigh

Thigh for sure. Just think back to all the next-day leg selfies from fighters brutalized by leg kicks. It is always thigh.
But isn't that only because more people use them since it's traditional?

Thigh is the stronger and bigger muscle. You can absorb more there in my opinion before affecting movement. It’s also easier to brace for impact even if you can’t check it.

Calf seems easier to break your leg on a hard check because you can't turn your leg over enough to hit with the front of your shin bas rutten explained it

~DaViD~

We should ask Urijah Faber..
Yh but imagine they his were all going to his calf. Or we can ask Gilbert Melendez or Rory MCdonald. Or Robbie Lawler (inside leg kicks). Its just that more people learn kicking the thigh coz itz traditional. In the future everyone will be kicking the calf.

Last edited:
gonna have to go with calf, seeing how many guys have been getting fucked up by just a couple of em in the last year or 2.

bendo bless.

Thigh is the stronger and bigger muscle. You can absorb more there in my opinion before affecting movement. It’s also easier to brace for impact even if you can’t check it.
But once badly damaged it affects movement worse, right?

I've never seen a high level Thai boxer wilt from eating calf kicks. In fact, they are rarely used in MT. Conditioning does wonders.

Something that is similar is the cut kick; a kick that powers under a lead leg (raised to block) and takes out the back leg. Of course, no one checks kicks in MMA so the opportunity may not arise very often.

I spar in Muay Thai regularly (usually hard and against bigger guys often) and have the goal of competing in MMA in the near future. I'm around 5"6 140 lbs. I find a lot of success landing naked leg kicks against almost anyone mainly due to speed and timing (instead of throwing combos first). When I kick lower, it puts them off balance allowing me to land punches. When I kick the thigh, It either makes more noise or it feels like I did more damage coz you're hitting more meat basically. Although you have to come closer, you're safer when kicking lower coz Its harder to check lower I think and it's nearly impossible to catch (which is useful when fighting wrestlers in MMA). Trading with a right hand is hard when off balance.

What I really want to know is which one does more DAMAGE for the rest of the fight with the FEWER KICKS? Finally, which one affects movement more and the ability to throw power punches with weight on the damaged leg.
There's a standup technique subforum on here, btw.

http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/standup-technique.11/

None of this is true.

1) The size of the thigh offers no protection (you typically target the spot right above the knee anyway - inside or out)

2) 'bracing' (assuming you mean planting and flexing alone) will simply add to the impact. The more weight you have on the leg, the more devastating the impact will be. Raising to check is the only viable defense.

Back