Kicks... what are MT, Kyokushin, TKD drills?

Replay19

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Hello, I would like to ask what are good drills for kicks that contribute from any of the kicking arts.

One can know the technique to doing a simple kick, but what are drills that master the kicks in its application?

I recall in TKD, lots mitt work or those tennis racket looking board mitts. (I dont know the name).... also in muay thai, they do like 50 kicks in a minute or something for cardio/coordination/stamina, and they hit the heavy bag the same way... then in kickboxing they say do some shadow kickboxing.

Basically, what I'm asking is what are good drills like the ones mentioned above to get good feet coordination and muscle memory? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Any tips for how to shadow box but including kicks? Shadow boxing for me is easier with hands but with kicks I'm completely clueless.

Hello, I would like to ask what are good drills for kicks that contribute from any of the kicking arts.

One can know the technique to doing a simple kick, but what are drills that master the kicks in its application?

I recall in TKD, lots mitt work or those tennis racket looking board mitts. (I dont know the name).... also in muay thai, they do like 50 kicks in a minute or something for cardio/coordination/stamina, and they hit the heavy bag the same way... then in kickboxing they say do some shadow kickboxing.

Basically, what I'm asking is what are good drills like the ones mentioned above to get good feet coordination and muscle memory? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Any tips for how to shadow box but including kicks? Shadow boxing for me is easier with hands but with kicks I'm completely clueless.

depends on what kick you want to learn and work.

TKD style kicks will be paddle drills

MT with be thai pads and bag

Kyokushin would also be pads and bag.

Say I want to practice roundhouse, hook, teep, and sidekick, what are good drills and training aids for these? How to shadow box with it and how to put them in combinations? What are good footwork drills for it?

Say I want to practice roundhouse, hook, teep, and sidekick, what are good drills and training aids for these? How to shadow box with it and how to put them in combinations? What are good footwork drills for it?

You kick the air. First things first. Combos will come later

Partner drills are better for skill work. Pads is good for xond and getting a feel for the technique and speed

I like the basic drill of body kick, check, bodykick (fast). Repeat.

It'll teach you to check and fire back.

You can practice your back kick and side kick on a wall, it helps you get your sense of spatial awareness. Just either go slow or use a brick wall. I kicked out a heel-sized hole in my drywall doing inversion drills for BJJ, I imagine a full force side kick would be a bit worse.

You can practice your back kick and side kick on a wall, it helps you get your sense of spatial awareness. Just either go slow or use a brick wall. I kicked out a heel-sized hole in my drywall doing inversion drills for BJJ, I imagine a full force side kick would be a bit worse.
Lol, I remember practicing punching my drywall thinking I was doing conditioning back in highschool. My old man nearly got to beating the shit out of me.

here are two good partner drills for absorbing, avoiding and countering lowkicks (no blocking in these particular drills). and for the other guy to throw low kicks. In progressive levels.
from kyokushin ex-champion, and trainer of champions, Cameron Quinn.

Fairly basic kyokushin drill. exchange type of kick and type of defense as you want.

At the thai gym I trained at we did 1s and 2s on the pads, 10s on each side beginning of rounds 2 and 3. And then finish off pad work with 50 on each side. Also alternating teeps until failure. 6 days a week. There's no special drill except to do it. A fuck ton of times.

Back