Kid boxing video diary (new videos added)

No training at all today, but heres a few clips from the other day. Keep in mind this is 100 degree weather with 50-70% humidity, and about an hour into his session.

No training at all today, but heres a few clips from the other day. Keep in mind this is 100 degree weather with 50-70% humidity, and about an hour into his session.

It's been 100 degrees where I'm at too all summer basically, the humidity really takes a lot out of you sometimes, even when training, making sure your kid drinks lots of water while training.

This is his daily routine (just for summer)Screen Shot 2018-07-15 at 2.15.38 PM.png . If he seems fatigued/losing concentration then I simply drop the evening training for that day aswell as a rest day every 3 days.

What he works on in the evening will depend on what his weakest area seems to be. For example right now I want his hips lower to the ground when he moves, so he's getting plenty of bobbing/weaving/slipping drills this week. Next week probably work alot more on parries/blocks while stepping.

This is his daily routine (just for summer)View attachment 407139 . If he seems fatigued/losing concentration then I simply drop the evening training for that day aswell as a rest day every 3 days.

What he works on in the evening will depend on what his weakest area seems to be. For example right now I want his hips lower to the ground when he moves, so he's getting plenty of bobbing/weaving/slipping drills this week. Next week probably work alot more on parries/blocks while stepping.

Why don't you teach him how to fight while moving backwards, teach him how to attack while moving around his opponent, my old instructor he wasn't no pro boxer but he was training to fight pro boxing while he was doing an mma and kickboxing career, so while he was training me, he said always establish a good jab early.

Tonight was spent doing slow pad drills to check his punch technique and body positioning while moving around a small ‘ring’. That took some time up, but i had him doing the drills in headgear and gumshield so he got a bit of a workout from it.

Every now and then ill train him in headgear and gum guard since those are fighting conditions.

We then spent about 45 mins with random rests pretending we were attached by an invisible metal bar. He had to make sure he was within a certain distance of me no matter where I moved. If I moved forward hed have to go back etc. good leg workout for him mimicking ring movement.

Building him up one brick at a time.

Clip of yesterday's roadwork (which is his daily morning routine now). A few seconds jogging, 5 side steps on right side, 5 side steps on left side...continue jogging. Length of run is 20 mins slow paced.

Pretty much all of his training is being done now with gum guard in so it doesn't feel weird to him if he does fight soon. FYI he's 60.2lbs, I'm not having a 9 year old cut weight, especially since he is lean and in shape so he'll fight at he 60lb weight.

Tonight's work consisted of padwork but I was having him focus on:

-keeping his outside foot in the correct position after side stepping
-not bringing his feet too close together
-moving around the square on his toes to the point I can close my eyes and not hear a step in his boxing shoes

Here's a few clips of warm down shadow boxing, I like doing this with him because when the gloves are off you can see his form has improved more...just has to learn to do it equally as well with the gloves on!

Man this is.some nice work. I loved these jabs and 1-2s done in a good tempo and movement. The boy has.technique and talent.
I think you also have the right mental approach to prepare him for competition. I always felt weird in soccer shoes and shin guards and felt the pressure of competition and needing to perform not as a game. Which often froze me as a teen.

You are living the.dream of a father. I am jelous to be honest but in a good way. I also want a son and to work out with him in soccer or boxing.

Man this is.some nice work. I loved these jabs and 1-2s done in a good tempo and movement. The boy has.technique and talent.
I think you also have the right mental approach to prepare him for competition. I always felt weird in soccer shoes and shin guards and felt the pressure of competition and needing to perform not as a game. Which often froze me as a teen.

You are living the.dream of a father. I am jelous to be honest but in a good way. I also want a son and to work out with him in soccer or boxing.

Cheers mate, yeah we train how we fight. Every few days he does his padwork or movement with his headgear on. Sometimes I take the thing off cos it is 100 degrees here, and I don't want to sacrifice training performance and it become an endurance exercise for him.

There are pros/cons to being his Dad and his coach. It is good in one way because I know when he is grinding and when I can get an extra 10% out of him. I also know if he is actually tired versus a bit sleepy due to sitting on the couch a few hours. On the other hand I don't want him being isolated- boxing is a lonely enough sport sometimes as it is, that's why I have him at a boxing gym....plus it gives him a chance to learn different things from different coaches.

Yeah he'd love it here (the first two are my Sons):

Some of our little dudes sparring:

The best kid I trained, who listened extremely well, he's from Canada but should be coming here in November for the Gene Lewis tournament with my team (red shirt):

I guess like most kids through his dad (me watching it on tv, or showing him some of my training/workouts (I havent competed since I was 16). I've tried him in various other things but this is really clicking for him. In the last 6 months his natural development has meant his progression has skyrocketed and his body is getting the movements down pretty damn quickly.

My advice would be to be patient mate, each kid is different. I tried some stuff with boxing with him when he was 6 and had no interest so i quickly stopped any idea of it for a few years. If he gets bored of boxing then I'll ramp up things in another sport- I dont care if it is ping pong but he WILL be doing a sport aswell as working his butt off in school.

Im a former UK Commando and paramedic so I'm confident in knowing when to push the envelope and when its time to stop. Also, part of the reason I take him to actual gyms is to make sure he's connecting with other people within the sport and not become isolated.
Do you watch tape with your son? How do you do it? Who are you sons favorite fighters?
Fights in boxing can be half an hour plus. That is hard time for young boy

Do you watch tape with your son? How do you do it? Who are you sons favorite fighters?
Fights in boxing can be half an hour plus. That is hard time for young boy

Yea I agree full fights are too long to learn from for him so we only watch fight breakdown videos that are like 5 mins long, or he really likes the HBO 24/7 profiles of fighters. Also show him 9-10 year old amateurs fighting so he can see the pace.

He loves Lomachenko, probably because his highlight reels on youtube look amazing lol. It is nice in this day for kids to have heroes that arent JayZ or Taylor Swift lol

Edit: I should mention he only does this maybe once a week for 10mins, when we aren't training he's doing some sort of homework or playing videogames

Last edited:
Yeah he'd love it here (the first two are my Sons):

Some of our little dudes sparring:

The best kid I trained, who listened extremely well, he's from Canada but should be coming here in November for the Gene Lewis tournament with my team (red shirt):

Great videos, I love the concentration in their sparring, theyre really trying to learn and not just go at it. I just seen that Canadian kid yesterday on youtube by accident thats funny, kid looks like hes built like a tank!

Your boys look like theyre having a blast there haha, brilliant environment for them!

I have some college stuff to do (alot), so no proper gym tonight just our home gym.

- x6 90-second rounds on the heavy bag
- x6 90-second rounds on pads (focus on fast paced footwork)
-20 mins technique slower paced

Working on his defense more tomorrow, noticed he's leaving his feet a little too wide apart when doing a 1-2 type combo so will work on that too. Other than that great progress overall for him I think

I'd suggest narrowing his stance in general. As he punches his weight shifts forward. This makes it more work to pull to make room or defend himself without blocking. And one good hit can knock him off balance with that back foot very light. He should get closer to the bag with his feet first, not torso. His balance will be better and he'll hit harder.

I'd suggest narrowing his stance in general. As he punches his weight shifts forward. This makes it more work to pull to make room or defend himself without blocking. And one good hit can knock him off balance with that back foot very light. He should get closer to the bag with his feet first, not torso. His balance will be better and he'll hit harder.

Thanks mate, his balance is a big issue for sure at the moment. You're right about the power, when I set him in his 'square', a place I chalked on the ground for shadow boxing to ensure his feet are properly placed, his power is much more than when he starts moving around.

He hasn't quite mastered his movement around the bag and the positioning but will get there. I'm gonna be working alot with him all summer then ease back massively, any other feedback from you is much appreciated mate!

You gotta have him do small steps, one step at a time. Less jumping. This will program his body to make smaller steps. I use drills for this with my students but here's an idea how it would look with mitts:

You gotta have him do small steps, one step at a time. Less jumping. This will program his body to make smaller steps. I use drills for this with my students but here's an idea how it would look with mitts:

Ill give that a whirl tomorrow cheers dude

Back