Kid boxing video diary (new videos added)

Found a great new gym for the boy, tons of kids his age. The owner had him spar 8 rounds with a few kids (lightly) to get him tired and see how he'd end up. Relieved to finally find a good gym, good coaches, and good kids!!!!

Have him matched for a fight at 58lbs on Saturday 4th. And his new 12oz gloves arrived. He's now rocking 16ounce Cleto Reyes for heavy bag work, and Ringside 12oz for pad work etc. Decent gear is expensive but he trains twice a day and it'll last him a few years (buy once cry once).

IMG_3469-1.jpeg

What's the name of the gym?

What's the name of the gym?

Ring of hope in the colony in dallas. Its all about the kids...all fairly new/inexperienced boxers but they just got a new coach in who trains under roach called zac Wohlman.

Between training the boy at home and taking him around other kids Im happy now mate- good for him to be doing the sport around those his own age.

Last edited:
I always like to know the names of positive gyms in different cities

I always like to know the names of positive gyms in different cities

As soon as I walked in they were excited to meet my kid, they all came up to introduce themselves etc. Other places I went one reputed guy just went 'how old is he' (a former US team coach) and then ignored us for 2 hours.

They spend the entire training session coaching the kids in everything. This could be a great place in the next 5-10 years if it is this dedicated to the kids. Finally found somewhere for the kid to make friends in the sport...I can imagine simply training with dad at home getting tedious after a few years!

From his sparring his ring movement was pretty good, but for amateur competition he'll need to throw a higher volume of punches, so this week will be alot more concentration on pressure and punch technique/volume.

Fight week!

I don't put myself on video footage due to previous employment, but suffice to say he has become a beast on the pads. Amazing how kids grow within months into formidable humans!

IMG_3504-1.jpeg
FullSizeRender.jpeg

Last edited:
Good luck, responsible dad.

Good luck, responsible dad.

Win/lose in the fight, he's been amazing this summer for the work he has put in. He runs backwards for 20minutes in the mornings now cos I told him Hagler did it lol.

Sparred 4 kids tonight, x10 2-min rounds of sparring back to back. Was very good for first few kids, the last two were a few years older and alot bigger but he put the work in. Got him signed up for fight this week and tournament next week then that's him done for a while fighting. Didn't film as I was cornering him.
37771018_2203040513044538_5641746899745636352_n.jpg

I feel like I'm the only one that thinks this is sad. I know you're a proud parent, but we know the damage hits to the brain can cause. And with a child's brain still in development I can't even understand why you would want to subject and encourage your child to do this. It's putting him at a disadvantage and possible permanent brain trauma for life. There are young NFL players giving up millions to protect their health and avoid brain trauma. I support no head contact training, but children fighting and sparring each other is heart wrenching. I can't even watch it. I would hope you re-consider this at some point, avoid brain contact, and encourage education.

I feel like I'm the only one that thinks this is sad. I know you're a proud parent, but we know the damage hits to the brain can cause. And with a child's brain still in development I can't even understand why you would want to subject and encourage your child to do this. It's putting him at a disadvantage and possible permanent brain trauma for life. There are young NFL players giving up millions to protect their health and avoid brain trauma. I support no head contact training, but children fighting and sparring each other is heart wrenching. I can't even watch it. I would hope you re-consider this at some point, avoid brain contact, and encourage education.

You're right I guess we should empty all the boxing gyms in the country. Get rid of those rings and headgear and no more sparring let alone fighting?
Also better to call USA boxing and tell them the Jr Olympics should be cancelled.

Did you know the human brain isn't developed fully until the age of 25? So no contact sports until 25?

You're right I guess we should empty all the boxing gyms in the country. Get rid of those rings and headgear and no more sparring let alone fighting?
Also better to call USA boxing and tell them the Jr Olympics should be cancelled.

Did you know the human brain isn't developed fully until the age of 25? So no contact sports until 25?

I know this upsets you, but yes, boxing gyms are closing all over the country. Boxing is on life support. Boxing will be completely dead during this generation. The advancement of technology, society, and AI will ensure that. The NFL will likely completely revamp to flag-style play or risk dying out if it doesn't change during this generation. The NFL has an entire day of the week, but the momentum shift against head trauma causing sports is too great, even for the NFL.

I'm sorry to say this as well, but you don't see boxing gyms in affluent or prosperous communities. The same way you don't see liquor stores on every corner in average and up communities. You may see Karate style dojos in affluent communities, because they project a different image. Boxing gyms and liquor stores are in the poorer communities. I know you'll disagree with this, but it's a simple fact of life.

Trauma to the brain is trauma to the brain, regardless of age. It's just much more sad to see a child suffering brain trauma than an adult male in the NFL.

I know this upsets you, but yes, boxing gyms are closing all over the country. Boxing is on life support. Boxing will be completely dead during this generation. The advancement of technology, society, and AI will ensure that. The NFL will likely completely revamp to flag-style play or risk dying out if it doesn't change during this generation. The NFL has an entire day of the week, but the momentum shift against head trauma causing sports is too great, even for the NFL.

I'm sorry to say this as well, but you don't see boxing gyms in affluent or prosperous communities. The same way you don't see liquor stores on every corner in average and up communities. You may see Karate style dojos in affluent communities, because they project a different image. Boxing gyms and liquor stores are in the poorer communities. I know you'll disagree with this, but it's a simple fact of life.

Trauma to the brain is trauma to the brain, regardless of age. It's just much more sad to see a child suffering brain trauma than an adult male in the NFL.

Nothing you say upsets me, because my family runs itself the way we deem fit. Perhaps it might surprise you that my wife and I work in healthcare, and my kid had every doctor in the ER cheering him on asking to see more videos of him and if they could come watch him fight. You do you- I'll do me :)

Nothing you say upsets me, because my family runs itself the way we deem fit. Perhaps it might surprise you that my wife and I work in healthcare, and my kid had every doctor in the ER cheering him on asking to see more videos of him and if they could come watch him fight. You do you- I'll do me :)

So if you work in healthcare you should have sufficient knowledge of the trauma to the brain.

As to doctors cheering your child on, everyone from poor to rich rubber necks a car accident when they drive by. How many of these doctors have their own children enrolled in boxing and are getting repeatedly hit in the head through sparring and fighting?

So if you work in healthcare you should have sufficient knowledge of the trauma to the brain.

As to doctors cheering your child on, everyone from poor to rich rubber necks a car accident when they drive by. How many of these doctors have their own children enrolled in boxing and are getting repeatedly hit in the head through sparring and fighting?

Any other parenting tips or TBI statistics you wish to share?

Last edited:
I dont know why so many coaches just blow off kids like you mentioned earlier. They are the future of the sport, you start training a kid at 5, by the time hes 12 hell be a beast. I can understand when you have the kids that are not serious at all and just come in to screw around and the parents are the same, its more like a daycare or something but when you get a young athletic kid that wants to fight, man thats awesome. I would be happy coaching a kid like that.

Karate McDojos are prominent in affluent neighborhoods because affluent parents want to pay someone to make their kid feel tough without actually subjecting them to anything even remotely dangerous. And people like you are why Martial Arts always stray towards pretending to fight and to know how to fight, as opposed to actually fighting.

In fact, given this rant, it's quite ironic you even have a membership on a prolific full-contact MMA Web forum. You should be outside the UFC center with a picket sign.

Also Boxing is absolutely not on life support, it's a globally practiced sport with amateur programs in pretty much every civilized Country on the planet. Saul Alvarez drew a million television views in Mexico, a very poor Country. Manny Pacquiao started a boxing Renaissance in an entire region of the World, and Floyd Mayweather Jr. Has been the highest paid athlete a few times. Athletes make more money now than they ever have, and even women's boxing was given new life by being added to the Olympics, with Claressa Shields being the first back-to-back Gold Medalist in U.S. History.

So yeah, the idea of anyone getting punched doesn't sit well with you? Go join a crochet forum.

I dont know why so many coaches just blow off kids like you mentioned earlier. They are the future of the sport, you start training a kid at 5, by the time hes 12 hell be a beast. I can understand when you have the kids that are not serious at all and just come in to screw around and the parents are the same, its more like a daycare or something but when you get a young athletic kid that wants to fight, man thats awesome. I would be happy coaching a kid like that.

Yea he is definitely not the screw around kid at the gym. One coach I stopped taking him to purely because there weren't really any other kids around. Another gym literally throws kids in the ring and hopes for the best; the ones they think have talent theyll spend maybe 5 mins per training session with (if theyre lucky). One other gym the guy was just a rude mother fucker...I personally detest rude manners to strangers.

Whether my kid is the most skilled in a gym or the absolute worst I could care less- as long as he grinds and learns then Im more than happy...and he has never let me down yet!

He is fighting a kid on Saturday who has had 4 fights, mine has 0...seems a bit shitty (my first fight I was matched with a guy with 0 fights too). He did great in sparring, but on the day I know the nerves will be there... so as long as he at least looks like he is practicing his skills, I'll be happy for him having the experience.

Yea he is definitely not the screw around kid at the gym. One coach I stopped taking him to purely because there weren't really any other kids around. Another gym literally throws kids in the ring and hopes for the best; the ones they think have talent theyll spend maybe 5 mins per training session with (if theyre lucky). One other gym the guy was just a rude mother fucker...I personally detest rude manners to strangers.

Whether my kid is the most skilled in a gym or the absolute worst I could care less- as long as he grinds and learns then Im more than happy...and he has never let me down yet!

He is fighting a kid on Saturday who has had 4 fights, mine has 0...seems a bit shitty (my first fight I was matched with a guy with 0 fights too). He did great in sparring, but on the day I know the nerves will be there... so as long as he at least looks like he is practicing his skills, I'll be happy for him having the experience.

how hard are his sparring sessions? Obviously the nerves will always be there, but maybe if you can play it as a sparring session with a trophy rather than a fight it could calm the nerves. I also think referring to it as a boxing match rather than a fight is good as well. This keeps it into sport context, hes going to go play the sport of boxing, rather than a terrifying fight. If you get what im trying to say.

Back