Kid knocks over 132k statue, museum sends bill to parents

The dumb bitches let their dumb kids run around like maniacs. I hope they do force them to pay for the damages.

Lock him up! Maybe there is room in one of the migrant camps.
Chump would give the white kid a presidential pardon so he would be spared from shit treatment given to brown kids.

small kids should be banned from museums

It wasn't a museum. It was a community center. The pictures I posted were from that center's website. This wasn't some fine art museum with Van Goghs and Mamets.

Keep your stupid kids on a short leash in museums.

Parents are guilty. Tax dat ass

city's fault if no signs. Any museum in LA with high ticket items will have docents brush the kids away. It's unreasonable to think kids will just leave it alone.

It shouldn't be that fucking easy to destroy something worth that much at a museum. They know kids are coming put your shit behind some sort of safety.

That's also why Museums have insurance.

Museum claims that there is a reasonable expectation and knowledge of patrons and citizens to know not to touch artwork in a museum. I agree with them. We shouldn’t have to have do not touch signs and plexiglass over anything of value in a museum just because some brat and bad parent can’t behave civil.

They’re trying to argue that point to avoid paying but it’s bullshit. Go to any museum and you’ll see a similar set up where very expensive paintings are within arms reach of any patron.

eh, I have seen several museums, where expensive paintings and other things are not really blocked off like that. In fact, I don't recall any of the paintings at the National Museum of Art in DC to be behind glass, or anything like that.

Moreover, I am positive, that those paintings could fall off the wall and land on someone, if the person were deliberately climbing on them, as in this case with the statue.

Little kids break shit on accident all the time and even good children with good parents act a fool sometimes

The museum is at fault for having the god damn thing unsecured and unprotected

I've been to a lot of different art museums, and most of the pieces aren't protected. If you wanted to you could run up and destroy any number of expensive paintings or sculptures. The expectation is that you don't let your stupid kid run around like it's a fucking playground. Does there need to be a sign that says that?

What museum has anyone ever been to that lets you climb on the artwork?

For me, it's like babies crying at movies. You knew your crotch goblin was going to have to stay quiet, zero tolerance if they start crying. I wouldn't blame the theater for not having soundproof booths. It's assumed when you go to the movies that you're going to need to shut the fuck up.

The kid doesn't know that, but the mom does. I leam toward negligence on behalf of the parents.

I hate parents who let their kids run around and do whatever they want, no discipline, no boundaries. Parents probably deserve to pay something for it, but all of 132K is a bit ridiculous. Doesn't the museum have insurance? Why is a statue this expensive just left out and not held down or behind glass? Doesn't seem like a strong lawsuit, maybe they're hoping to scare the parents into a settlement.

it is the museum's insurance that wants to bill the parents.

Sure sounds like both the parent and the museum should have made more of an effort. Having a statue out that can be toppled over by a five year old is fucking crazy dangerous. Imagine if someone else's child was just walking around when this thing was knocked over and it busted open their head. The mom should have also been more careful as well that goes without saying. Frankly if you're going to setup a museum like this there needs to be age restrictions put in place.

The museum likely has insurance to cover this. The parent should have done a better job of watching the kid, but there were no signs, barriers, ropes, etc

in most settings id say the parents were OK. but in a F'ing museum, you cant let your kids be running wild.

Kids destroying a statue in a museum is an epic parenting failure. Being tired is not an excuse in this case. There is no way a 4 and 5 year old should be climbing on statues at a museum. It should have been made very clear by the parents what behavior was expected of the kids before they even went inside. Certainly, you cannot see everything at all times, but your kids climbing on statues at a museum is something you can see regardless of how exhausted you are. This was not a kid putting a marble in their nose, falling down the stairs or drinking bleach. This was a major incident that could have been prevented with better parenting.

agreed.

and this is the exact thing a museum insurance policy is for.

Who takes a 5 year-old to a museum with high value, unprotected, fragile items on display?

Take them to a freaking kids museum or some other kid-friendly place . . .

I'm of two minds on this. First the museum should have taken more precautionary measures to protect the statue. Their insurance company should have made sure that the liability was at a minimum.

Second the parents need to control their child better. going off of the case where the police shot through a garage door and killed a man, I'm going to say that the museum is 99% at fault and the parents should only have to pay $4.

That's not entirely true. The Getty Museum has the most prestigious works of art in the world, and at the same time, they have a kid friendly room where kids can literally run around. From the outside, it looks like any other section of the museum.

there are plenty of statues, and the ones in touching distance/unguarded are well secured.

The museum should have anticipated stupid people touching the art and they should have protected it better. That doesn't absolve the kid and parents though. The kid broke something and the parents are responsible.

More surprised Kansas city has a museum of sorts

I already acknowledged that the mom fucked up here but the museum did as well by having absolutely nothing in place to prevent this. Not even a sign. The fact that they had a statue that could just be toppled over so easily is seriously dangerous.

Oh my gawd, are you victim-blaming the museum? So bigoted #believeall

You're a museum, you know thousands of people visit your museum every month, including children, and that there are idiots who may try to mess with the exhibits. It's the most predictable problem in the world. How are you comparing this to some poor person being mugged? It's impossible to prevent a mugging 100% unless you become a recluse who never leaves the house.

I think most of us agree that the parents should have to pay some amount. The museum and insurance company have a percentage of blame on their hands too. The parents won't be paying the full amount and it's just standard for the insurance company to try and pay as little as possible. The insurance company agreed to pay for the damages at the museum I assume the inspected the museum to determine their risk. They seemed to be ok with the manner the statue was presented so they should have to cover most of the cost.

If the museum displayed the statue in a manner that violated their insurance policy then they carry the most blame.

The parents are awful and shouldn't be raising shit head kids.

It's unreasonable for a museum to have someone guarding every item. Parents are responsible for their children.

I've touched the ancient Egyptian artifacts at the met but you can't just destroy exhibits. Parents are responsible for their children. If you're in a museum watch them closely.

Blame the parents first. The buck stops with them.

If the museum took no measures to protect their fragile, expensive sculpture, then they are to a lesser extent blameworthy as well. Seems like most museums have glass cases or at least some sort of rope dividers around their good stuff.

small kids should be banned from museums

This whole thread is basically a litmus test of who didn't read the article. It was not a museum.

This whole thread is basically a litmus test of who didn't read the article. It was not a museum.

Who gives a shit. People need to mind their dumbass kids in public PERIOD. Museum, grocery store, restaurant. Keep your kid behaved and stfu

Who cares? It was a high value object that wasn't properly protected from being damaged . . . parents still didn't properly supervise their kids.

I did read the article. It was at a community center that had a museum-like art gallery set up within it. So it seems like a small detail and not immensely important to the discussion. You shouldn't let your kids run around in an art gallery, whether that gallery is in a museum or anywhere else.

http://digg.com/video/parents-boy-breaks-museum-sculpture

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/06/1...2000-after-child-damages-glass-sculpture.html <- better vid in here

A boy, looks to be around 4 or 5, knocked over a statue at a Kansas City Community Center valued at $132,000. The family received a letter from the city's insurance center accusing them of negligence and saying they needed to pay for it.

The child's mother blamed the center "It's in the main walkway, not a separate room. No Plexiglass. Not protected. Not held down. No border around it, not even a sign that says "Do Not Touch."

Video in link shows the kid climbing on the pedestal the statue is on, as if trying to get to it and lift it or hug it or something. Then it topples forward and falls to the ground taking the kid with it. Then the mother, who was about 20 feet away on a couch with what looks to be a different statue blocking her view of her kid and chatting with a friend, gets up to check on her boy. Kid knows he's in trouble and runs away lol.

*note, some comments seem to think the woman who walked over may not have been the mom, as she didn't seem concerned much and the kid ran away to a different room and she may have moved to just go sit back down when the video ended.

What do you think Sherdog? Parental negligence and should be responsible? Or museums fault for not having everything under lock and key? In a response, the city said their insurance company is reaching out to the family's insurance company to talk payment. They're not directly billing the family.
And here I am, thinking I royally f#ked up when a cracked the neighbor’s indshield on his beater truck. Cost my dad a couple of dollars to replace the windshield and a 6 pack to smooth things over.

And you have this kid breaking 6 figure statues!

The main point is that parents should watch their children and teach them to behave properly no matter where they are. The problem is not just limited to statue situation in this thread. I have seen many parents let their children bully and harm other children on a playground or at the children's section at a library while they are glued to their cell-phones. There are even times when the parents of the harmed child try to address the situation and the negligent parent will start an argument instead of disciplining their child.

A child should be taught to be considerate and well-mannered at all times.

How can any of you support this? Should be insurance for museum and protection around the item. Maybe small fine for parents but 132,000 is lot of money that can make people go bankrupt. It is just not fair and is cruel

http://digg.com/video/parents-boy-breaks-museum-sculpture

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/06/1...2000-after-child-damages-glass-sculpture.html <- better vid in here

A boy, looks to be around 4 or 5, knocked over a statue at a Kansas City Community Center valued at $132,000. The family received a letter from the city's insurance center accusing them of negligence and saying they needed to pay for it.

The child's mother blamed the center "It's in the main walkway, not a separate room. No Plexiglass. Not protected. Not held down. No border around it, not even a sign that says "Do Not Touch."

Video in link shows the kid climbing on the pedestal the statue is on, as if trying to get to it and lift it or hug it or something. Then it topples forward and falls to the ground taking the kid with it. Then the mother, who was about 20 feet away on a couch with what looks to be a different statue blocking her view of her kid and chatting with a friend, gets up to check on her boy. Kid knows he's in trouble and runs away lol.

*note, some comments seem to think the woman who walked over may not have been the mom, as she didn't seem concerned much and the kid ran away to a different room and she may have moved to just go sit back down when the video ended.

What do you think Sherdog? Parental negligence and should be responsible? Or museums fault for not having everything under lock and key? In a response, the city said their insurance company is reaching out to the family's insurance company to talk payment. They're not directly billing the family.
Yooooo,

Is everyone just gonna gloss over the fact that Kansas has museums, or fine art ¿???

Mind blown.

Yooooo,

Is everyone just gonna gloss over the fact that Kansas has museums, or fine art ¿???

Mind blown.

Wichita has a pretty cool train museum. Old locomotives and cars you can explore.

edit: I wouldn’t plan a vacation or anything but if you ever break down there, or end up with a long layover it’s probably one of the more interesting things in the city.

She should not be on the hook for it.

Insurance company is being a dick. Shocker

Sounds like it was the museums fault for not protecting it better.

How can any of you support this? Should be insurance for museum and protection around the item. Maybe small fine for parents but 132,000 is lot of money that can make people go bankrupt. It is just not fair and is cruel

It isn't worth squat. It didn't get into a museum and never sold. An artist isn't going to say what I worked on for two years went for $250 or was worth that.

Back