Knee Cut Guard Pass - Dealing With the Scissor Defense

goatfury

Gold Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
https://howtheyplay.com/individual-sports/Knee-Cut-Guard-Pass-Dealing-With-the-Scissor-Defense

Fundamental jiu jitsu techniques tend to yield equally fundamental defenses. One of the very first defenses you will likely encounter to a knee cut guard pass (based on fundamental guard maintenance principles) is the scissor or knee shield. This means that you can no longer move forward with your knee cut as before, and will need to make some adjustments. What follows are three different "counters to the counters", so to speak. You can determine which works best for you, or you can take a look at the specific situations under which approach might work best. Remember: advanced techniques are really nothing more than fundamental techniques layered on top of one another.

I'm no expert on this position, but it seems it's mostly beginners who would be knee shielding from that position. The vast majority of intermediate/advanced players go to RDLR. Am I wrong?

I'm no expert on this position, but it seems it's mostly beginners who would be knee shielding from that position. The vast majority of intermediate/advanced players go to RDLR. Am I wrong?
Depends on how late you address the knee cut pass. Some of the best guard passers are going to set you up so that you realize a pass is underway after RDLR option time has expired. Make sense?

Knee shield is a position played by lots and lots of people, specially in heavier classes.

Back