Koch groups urge Trump to accept Democrats’ immigration deal

He's pretty rich, man. Don't know what your standards are, but I'd switch net worths with him in a second.

I'm not saying he's a pauper or anything they're just a lot richer guys than him with left leaning politics who probably have more skin in the game, too.

At the State of the Union address, President Trump offered 1.8 million people a path to citizenship, and the Democrats sat on their hands with sour looks on their faces.

This shows that the Democrats really have no limiting principle as to who should, or shouldn't be allowed citizenship. They want every possible illegal immigrant made a citizen, because first generation immigrants (almost regardless of country of origin) will vote Democrat at a rate of about 70%.

The Democrats can't win elections in the arena of ideas, so they have to import more potential Democrats.

The President shouldn't take the Democrats deal. The Democrats will either agree to the Presidents terms, or risk losing DACA protections.

At the State of the Union address, President Trump offered 1.8 million people a path to citizenship, and the Democrats sat on their hands with sour looks on their faces.

This shows that the Democrats really have no limiting principle as to who should, or shouldn't be allowed citizenship. They want every possible illegal immigrant made a citizen, because first generation immigrants (almost regardless of country of origin) will vote Democrat at a rate of about 70%.

The Democrats can't win elections in the arena of ideas, so they have to import more potential Democrats.

The President shouldn't take the Democrats deal. The will Democrats either agree to the Presidents terms, or risk losing DACA protections.
Then why did the last 2 Republican get elected with a minority of the popular vote, why do Republicans have to blatantly abuse gerrymanding to win?

Then why did the last 2 Republican get elected with a minority of the popular vote, why do Republicans have to blatantly abuse gerrymanding to win?
The Presidential election is decided by electoral votes of the states.

I'm sorry if you don't like the fact that New York and California don't get to decide every single Presidential election.

So the State of the Union is where legislation is passed into law?

Thanks for proving Trump is a pathological liar, here he has the opportunity to get the wall and offer the 1.8 millions a path to citizenship.

He backs out because he knows his base will turn on him.

Granting amnesty is fine. Opening the flood gates until the next election? Fuck no. Come on now. Thats a tad too transparent, Dems.

A trio of organizations supported by Charles and David Koch is urging Trump to accept congressional Democrats’ weekend offer, which would deliver $25 billion for a border wall and security in exchange for a pathway to citizenship for 1.8 million young immigrants, according to officials in the Koch network. The White House was unwilling to accept the deal, instead offering Democrats a two-and-a-half-year extension of protections for so-called Dreamers facing deportation in return for wall money and dropping their demands for cuts to legal immigration.

But the Koch groups — Libre Initiative, Americans for Prosperity and Freedom Partners — are all advising the president to take the Democrats’ deal. Brent Gardner, a government affairs official for Americans for Prosperity, called the proposal “an offer all parties should immediately accept,” and Libre Initiative’s president, Daniel Garza, said “Congress and the White House should seize this chance.”

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/03/19/koch-network-trump-democrats-immigration-472462?cmpid=sf

--------------------------------

In case anyone is surprised, businesspeople and the wealthy want the cheap labor. Same old story. The simple right/left dichotomy that many War Roomers subscribe to is wrong.

I'm in agreement here;
-I'd set a pathway to citizenship (with limits as to who and how many relatives these 1.8m can sponsor)... reasons based on them already being ingrained in society.
-I'd also take the $25B for the wall and just move on to concrete immigration policy, with a focus on a merit based system and a rational and justified annual cap.

It almost seems like the legislative branch, as a whole, likes the status quo and keeping these unresolved issues on the agenda with no progress, just perpetual argument and campaign fodder.

I'm in agreement here;
-I'd set a pathway to citizenship (with limits as to who and how many relatives these 1.8m can sponsor)... reasons based on them already being ingrained in society.
-I'd also take the $25B for the wall and just move on to concrete immigration policy, with a focus on a merit based system and a rational and justified annual cap.

It almost seems like the legislative branch, as a whole, likes the status quo and keeping these unresolved issues on the agenda with no progress, just perpetual argument and campaign fodder.
There's a serious moral hazard problem with your proposal. You're telling future generations of illegal aliens they will be amnestied as well.

Also, my reading is that the lobbyists don't like the status quo under Trump. They want the floodgates open. That's pretty much what the OP is about. Trump is the only real force putting his foot down on the issue, and we should thank him for that.

I would ok giving them all immediate citizenship if we then actually clamped the fuck down on both legal and illegal immigration from central america.

1.8 million today is not an issue as long as it's not 1.8 more next year. We need to start balancing out our selection.

I live right outside the capital and 38% of the 700k people in my county speak spanish. This is VA, not NM for crying out loud.

Kochs, those right-wing boogie men that:

- Donated money to the Smithsonian to create halls that depict evolution (specifically human evolution)
- Donated money to Criminal Justice reform projects (even partners with the ACLU)
- Supports DACA

I must admit, I don't know much about them other than friends on FB vilifying anything as all bed things as rooted in either the Koch Brothers or the money they donate.

I remember NPR interviewing a journalist that has written about them. The interviewer was shocked that the journalist wouldn't pile shit on the guys that he was tasked to tasked to report on.

Yes, he stated that they give money to organizations that are Climate Change skeptics. However, they also donate to left-leaning causes such as changing the justice system and supporting public defenders.

The interviewer pushed back with talking points that sounded like a Bernie campaign ad.

It was an odd interview.

It seems that people are more complex than what a FB meme tells us.

Besides Soros and the Kochs, are there any other "political boogiemen" out there?

Robert Mercer, the weirdo behind Trump. A chaos theorist with billions of dollars. Scary.

And the Kochs spread chemicals in streams throughout the nations. fuck em.

I trust Trump more than big business establishment Republican elite super donors.

Let Trump be Trump. Let him make a deal.

There's a serious moral hazard problem with your proposal. You're telling future generations of illegal aliens they will be amnestied as well.

Also, my reading is that the lobbyists don't like the status quo under Trump. They want the floodgates open. That's pretty much what the OP is about. Trump is the only real force putting his foot down on the issue, and we should thank him for that.
Agreed. Amnesty for those here is fine but promised amnesty to people who aren't even here yet? WTF?

Amnesty for those otherwise law abiding people already here, fix our borders and work on comprehensive immigration reform that we actually enforce.

Why the hell would the White House refuse the Democrats offer in the first place? They are offering $25 billion towards the wall, that is a great offer.

Why the hell would the White House refuse the Democrats offer in the first place? They are offering $25 billion towards the wall, that is a great offer.
Trump got scared when he found out how it was playing on breitbart.

The koch's own both parties and they can dictate whatever the fuck is beneficiary for them.
They don't give a rat's ass about the left or right.
Is all about the money
<GinJuice>

Odds that the Kochs' boy Pompeo will beat Stephen Miller on this battle for Trump's heart and mind?

Kochs, those right-wing boogie men that:

- Donated money to the Smithsonian to create halls that depict evolution (specifically human evolution)
- Donated money to Criminal Justice reform projects (even partners with the ACLU)
- Supports DACA

I must admit, I don't know much about them other than friends on FB vilifying anything as all bed things as rooted in either the Koch Brothers or the money they donate.

I remember NPR interviewing a journalist that has written about them. The interviewer was shocked that the journalist wouldn't pile shit on the guys that he was tasked to tasked to report on.

Yes, he stated that they give money to organizations that are Climate Change skeptics. However, they also donate to left-leaning causes such as changing the justice system and supporting public defenders.

The interviewer pushed back with talking points that sounded like a Bernie campaign ad.

It was an odd interview.

It seems that people are more complex than what a FB meme tells us.

Besides Soros and the Kochs, are there any other "political boogiemen" out there?
Koch industries is a huge underwriter for npr as well

My proposal is more pragmatic as opposed to inciting increased illegal immigration;
The political backlash of deporting these 1.8million isn't worth it; rather making our immigration and border security policy more robust for the future is important and useful as an illegal immigration deterrent.

I actually think a strong physical border is quite effective for border security, immigration & drug enforcement.
-couple those things with streamlined proceedings for deportation and we might get an effective system.

The "status quo" i mentioned is referring to pre-Trump era politics; sure there were deportations, but to your point, nothing like the steps Trump has taken and threaten.
-sanctuary cities, denoting the dangers of non-vetted people, is an aggressive and needed approach at times.

What I meant as status quo could be referenced by the Senate budget 6weeks ago;
-democrats cried and stood for the "welfare of DACA recipients", but all that happened was a 74 - 20 vote for increased spending for both parties' interests.
--no DACA nor border funding resolution at all, it was just political fodder.

Kicking the can allows those in power to remain in power and seemingly lines the pockets of politicians (i.e. ex senator, Harry Reid(I just read up on him))

Back