KOTOR Remake Announced + Teaser *UPDATE* It appears canceled

Can't search for the KOTOR remake thread, but since it was supposed to be a PS5 exclusive I'm posting it here.

@Madmick you can move this post if you'd like to the right thread.

That fucking blows. I was counting on this getting ported to PC. One of my favorite games of all time.

That fucking blows. I was counting on this getting ported to PC. One of my favorite games of all time.

Same here.

Its on my Top 5 games ever for pre-2010.

*MGS1
*KOTOR
*MGS3
*RE4
*MK3U

KOTOR's plot, world-building, and voice-acting has aged like fine wine. The script (of the Jedi & sith), combat, and walking from point A to B, has aged like milk. Its been in desperate need for a remake for a long while.

Can't search for the KOTOR remake thread, but since it was supposed to be a PS5 exclusive I'm posting it here.

@Madmick you can move this post if you'd like to the right thread.

Embracer probably told Saber to stop as they are cost cutting a lot at the minute

Embracer probably told Saber to stop as they are cost cutting a lot at the minute

Probably. But in the age of many games flopping, a KOTOR remake would be a guaranteed hit, unless they diverge too much from the original.

All they have to do is upgrade the graphics, gameplay, add some sub-plots and sidequests, make the upgrading more intuitive, and *Poof* they're guaranteed to sell millions.

All that is easier said than done, but it shouldn't be tough to find a team that understand both RPGS & Star Wars.

Probably. But in the age of many games flopping, a KOTOR remake would be a guaranteed hit, unless they diverge too much from the original.

All they have to do is upgrade the graphics, gameplay, add some sub-plots and sidequests, make the upgrading more intuitive, and *Poof* they're guaranteed to sell millions.

All that is easier said than done, but it shouldn't be tough to find a team that understand both RPGS & Star Wars.

I agree

More than anything I'm intrigued how badly Aspyr fucked up on this in the first place. And why Sony / Disney allowed a company who have only had experience of porting /slight remastering of games to do a full remake ( apart from having licensing the titles for the Switch / PC Ports pre Embracer buyout).

I'd love Larian to have a go as KOTOR combat is based on D20 (3 i think) i'd love to see them try with an updated version based on 5 or 5E like BG3

I'd love Larian to have a go as KOTOR combat is based on D20 (3 i think) i'd love to see them try with an updated version based on 5 or 5E like BG3

The problem with that is Larian exclusively works on giant & complicated top-down turn-based CRPGs.

KOTOR is a streamlined-for-consoles over-the-shoulder action/adventure RPG.

The trick with updating it for a modern remake is keeping the simplicity so is easy for younger players to pick-up&play, while making it more advanced to compare to modern RPGs that dedicated fans have been playing over the last 20 years.

That ain't easy.

https://gamerant.com/star-wars-kotor-remake-update-bad-news/

The short of it is that the trailer from 2021 has been hidden or revised to unlisted. Bloomberg did report last year that there was a demo that got cancelled, and some of the high-ranking officials of the dev team either quit or were canned. Embracer Group is the name of the developer and they've been confirmed to have experienced pretty big budget cuts.

I say good. Stop painting mustaches on the Mona Lisa. Make a game, don't contort one.

kotor-star-wars-knights-of-the-old-republic-remake.png

kotor-remake-trailer-removal.jpg

Man, fucking Embracer Group.

-Buy up a bunch of studios/publishers
-release nothing
-make bad business decisions
-go down in flames
-take all those studios with them

The graphics and gameplay are outdated as shit. It's a 20 year old game, I want a remake. My issue is the constant remake/remastering of titles from less than 10 years ago.

No it was confirmed to be music licensing issues. Looks like it had not been cancelled

Possible explanation for the Trailer being set to private -

Update 9/29/2023 11:54 a.m. ET:
"A spokesperson for Sony said the KOTOR remake trailer was delisted over licensing issues. “As part of normal business, we delist assets with licensed music when the licenses expire,” they told Kotaku in an email. The only music in the trailer seems to be the main Star Wars theme which is owned by Disney."

https://kotaku.com/star-wars-knights-republic-kotor-remake-ps5-canceled-1850885369

Don't consider Kotaku to be a reliable source, but I don't see what motive they'd have to publish false information. Or perhaps the unnamed Sony Executive is lying.

Back