Kun Khmer

shincheckin

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Hey guys, so I have recently gotten the opportunity to work with Revgear, we got some more stuff in the works, but for now, just got this published today regarding Kun Khmer. Hope you guys like it.

https://revgearsports.com/kun-khmer/

I didn't know you trained in both, I always thought you were strictly MT and some boxing here and there

So there is only ko/tko as a win option?
no you can win on points but the majority of guys dont fight with the intent of winning that way.
8rWSPVW.gif

I didn't know you trained in both, I always thought you were strictly MT and some boxing here and there

8rWSPVW.gif

Yeah Kru Oumry was my very first coach when I switched over from boxing to "muay thai". I have a gym tour video of his gym on my page. I have moved all over the place and trained at many different places. Just started bringing boxing back into the game a year or so ago.

Last edited:
Yeah Kru Oumry was my very first coach when I switched over from boxing to "muay thai". I have a gym tour video of his gym on my page. I have moved all over the place and trained at many different places. Just started bringing boxing back into the game a year or so ago.

I can see that in kun khmer you grab the forehead instead of the shoulder or neck for a quick knee.

I can see that in kun khmer you grab the forehead instead of the shoulder or neck for a quick knee.

no you can do all of those things in both MT and Kun Khmer. The differences are very subtle.

The thing is, when all these ancient fighting forms were originally developed, it was developed in SE asia, which the majority of it was under khmer rule, this is why khmer argue that they invented "muay thai". Thailand has brought muay thai into the spotlight world wide, but a large factor of that is how the khmer rouge killed so many people, it is comparable to what hitler did to the jews, maybe even on a larger scale, im not sure off the top of my head, but anyways a ton of stuff was lost in regards to history, culture, etc. not just kun khmer but many other things. This war they had was not too long ago either, so the country is still recovering from it. Most cambodians that came to the US, came as refugees.

this is pulled from wiki but its a good representation as to whats going on in regards to the controversy over who invented it and what not.

Attempt to unite boxing styles[edit]
At an ASEAN meeting in 1995 regarding the upcoming King's Cup Muay Thai competition, Cambodia wanted to rename Muay Thai as "Sovannaphum boxing" or "SEA Boxing", which represented Thailand, Cambodia, Laos and Myanmar. Sovannaphum means "golden land" in Khmer and is written as Suwannabhumi in Thai. The name refers to mainland Southeast Asia in the Indian language of Pali.

Thailand would not compromise, stating that each Southeast Asian country has its own boxing style and that Thailand was responsible for making its kickboxing an international sport. At the 2005 Southeast Asian Games, Cambodia did not enter the Muay Thai event in protest of the name used to refer to the sport.[28]

some kun khmer fights, all taking place in cambodia, on cambodia television. Notice thais and other foreigners go to cambodia to fight as well.

Last edited:
Back