Kurt Osiander not teaching at Ralph Gracie SF anymore

It's not that he's a "drunk dirty old guy", but someone who is very genuine, and that's endearing. Compare that to the "Bow to your sensei" "recite the school credo" "count out in Portuguese" TMA mindset, which normally creates a stiff environment. Some people like a loose environment, some people like the rigid order. Either way everyone is training hard, just a matter of different strokes.

100% agree. My instructor is a lot like Kurt. Lots of tats, music always playing during class, no self-righteous bullshit and everyone cracking jokes through class. I couldn't imagine it any other way.

I'm somewhere in between. Hate the formal classes that bow to a photo of Helio five times but also want a place I could bring my kids. I probably wouldn't have fit in at Kurt's based on the videos I've seen.

--------------

I'd guess that Kurt (through Youtube videos that showcase his charisma/personality) is one of the most famous instructors that isn't a high level competitor. He's also about the most famous instructor I can think of that doesn't own his own school (outside of the 'young' hotshots that are more interested in competing than running a school - Keenan, Torres, etc - and I'm sure they will have their own schools eventually).

I figure Kurt isn't much the business-type or he would have struck out on his own a while ago. He's got a huge following on Youtube and clearly is loved by his students. If he's smart he's found a partner to run the business side that will let Kurt do the teaching and videos. Maybe he got pushed out, maybe he saw the writing on the wall and left before he got pushed out. Either way he should be fine.

I'm somewhere in between. Hate the formal classes that bow to a photo of Helio five times but also want a place I could bring my kids. I probably wouldn't have fit in at Kurt's based on the videos I've seen.

--------------

I'd guess that Kurt (through Youtube videos that showcase his charisma/personality) is one of the most famous instructors that isn't a high level competitor. He's also about the most famous instructor I can think of that doesn't own his own school (outside of the 'young' hotshots that are more interested in competing than running a school - Keenan, Torres, etc - and I'm sure they will have their own schools eventually).

I figure Kurt isn't much the business-type or he would have struck out on his own a while ago. He's got a huge following on Youtube and clearly is loved by his students. If he's smart he's found a partner to run the business side that will let Kurt do the teaching and videos. Maybe he got pushed out, maybe he saw the writing on the wall and left before he got pushed out. Either way he should be fine.

I believe JT Torres has his own school now, Essential BJJ in NY.

Back