Kyokushin: Your face=punch magnet?

Does Japan have a good KK scene? Is Shokei Matsui a good Kyokushinkai karateka? I think you'd be forced to answer in the affirmative to both of those. And yet in the video he looks completely lost because punches to the head are introduced.
I saw him slip some of those punches. In any case fighting bareknuckle is completely different than fighting with gloves. You might see alot of muay thai/kick boxers get caught with shots they wouldnt normally under those circumstances.

I saw him slip some of those punches. In any case fighting bareknuckle is completely different than fighting with gloves. You might see alot of muay thai/kick boxers get caught with shots they wouldnt normally under those circumstances.
No it isn't. There's a reason most MMA fighters train with 14-16 oz boxing gloves when they train striking, despite fighting with 4 oz gloves. That reason is that there's very little difference in how you slip, dodge and block punches. The only thing that's harder with smaller gloves or no gloves is turtling up.

No it isn't. There's a reason most MMA fighters train with 14-16 oz boxing gloves when they train striking, despite fighting with 4 oz gloves. That reason is that there's very little difference in how you slip, dodge and block punches. The only thing that's harder with smaller gloves or no gloves is turtling up.
have you sparred full contact with 4 oz gloves?

You spar with 16 oz gloves when preparing for a MMA fight even though it's "completely different" and thus has no benefit?
answer my question first. I didnt say it has no benefit. Fighters still need to get used to fighting with 4 oz gloves.

answer my question first. Fighters still need to get used to fighting with 4 oz gloves.
Yes, I have sparred full contact with 4 oz gloves. Now answer my question: why are fighters sparring with 16 oz gloves if it's "completely different" to bare knuckles and 4oz gloves? Why don't they go do something more productive with their time, like play hide and seek?

Yes, I have sparred full contact with 4 oz gloves. Now answer my question: why are fighters sparring with 16 oz gloves if it's "completely different" to bare knuckles and 4oz gloves? Why don't they go do something more productive with their time, like play hide and seek?
by full contact I meant hard sparring. They probably use 16 oz because they don't want to lose their brain cells faster than they need to and so they can go harder.

by full contact I meant hard sparring. They probably use 16 oz because they don't want to lose their brain cells faster than they need to and so they can go harder.
I'll try going half speed.

Why are they sparring at all if 16 oz gloves are completely different to 4 oz gloves? What benefit does it give them? If it's completely different, why don't they instead do push ups or go on a run? Why would they "want to go hard" if it's completely different? How does "going hard" with 16 oz help them in MMA if it's completely different?

I'll try going half speed.

Why are they sparring at all if 16 oz gloves are completely different to 4 oz gloves? What benefit does it give them? If it's completely different, why don't they instead do push ups or go on a run? Why would they "want to go hard" if it's completely different? How does "going hard" with 16 oz help them in MMA if it's completely different?

because going hard at least prepares them for the pressure of an actual fight.Bas Rutten said the same thing btw. The angles of the punches you can land, the size of the targets and weapons are all different. If you arent used to fighting in them you won't be prepared.

because going hard at least prepares them for the pressure of an actual fight.
So your working theory is that MMA fighters never spar with 16 oz except when going extremely hard to prepare for the pressure of an actual fight? That's very interesting. And also very untrue.

So your working theory is that MMA fighters never spar with 16 oz except when going extremely hard to prepare for the pressure of an actual fight? That's very interesting. And also very untrue.
no, you said that. I said being able to go hard is one of the benefits of using large gloves.

Sure buddy, let's agree to disagree. You don't even remember what your own argument was and you're not capable of following mine.
Yeah i think I'll just take a pro legend's word for it over a random kid on a forum and the proof of the difficulty great kickboxers have had transitioning to mma.

The only difference that 16oz gloves don't prepare you for when sparring (besides the cushioned safety somewhat) is IF you are reliant on covering up and blocking with your gloves a lot. People who cover up and block as their main form of defense kinda suck anyways (its not a valid tactic to rely on at even medium levels) so 16oz gloves don't really pose any kind of negative when sparring that would ill-prepare you for a fight with small gloves.

The only difference that 16oz gloves don't prepare you for when sparring (besides the cushioned safety somewhat) is IF you are reliant on covering up and blocking with your gloves a lot. People who cover up and block as their main form of defense kinda suck anyways (its not a valid tactic to rely on at even medium levels) so 16oz gloves don't really pose any kind of negative when sparring that would ill-prepare you for a fight with small gloves.
Do you think catching and parrying is the same? It seems to me that most kickboxer defense is how you described.

Yep, exactly.

Do you think catching and parrying is the same? It seems to me that most kickboxer defense is how you described.

Big gloves don't help you catch and parry. It should be easier with small gloves (slightly less cumbersome and more agile) since you catch and parry with your palm and cupped finger area, rather than any of the rest of the glove (where the extra weight/padding would be located)

Big gloves don't help you catch and parry. It should be easier with small gloves (slightly less cumbersome) since you catch and parry with your palm and cupped finger area, rather than any of the rest of the glove
o ok. I wasnt saying that big gloves give you bad habits but that most mma gyms do some light sparring with mma gloves to get used to the differences, which are significant. Most kickboxers i see block with their gloves and cover up which is why ive seen top ones have trouble defending punches in mma. Spong,verhooven, overeem for a while.

Back