Kyokushin

Even for self defence. Body punching and creating habits of defending the body and not the head, does not sound like a good self defence tool. Combine that with poor footwork, bad stance and no angle work and ... well obviously the average Joe will struggle against a black belt in Kyokoshin, but the average Joe does have a chance of landing that 1 hit KO punch ... just because no head protection and just because the average Joe can take that bad stance Kyokoshin guy down pretty easily.

you dont know what your talking about dude. <Lmaoo>

Even for self defence. Body punching and creating habits of defending the body and not the head, does not sound like a good self defence tool. Combine that with poor footwork, bad stance and no angle work and ... well obviously the average Joe will struggle against a black belt in Kyokoshin, but the average Joe does have a chance of landing that 1 hit KO punch ... just because no head protection and just because the average Joe can take that bad stance Kyokoshin guy down pretty easily.

Anyone can get KO'd from one punch. If you think MMA or MT is gonna make you immune to a 1 hit KO punch you're delusional. The Kyokushin stance is actually better for MMA than the MT stance with weight on the back leg.

because the average Joe can take that bad stance Kyokoshin guy down pretty easily.

This applies to all striking disciplines. If anything MT is more prone due to being more back leg heavy. Unless its seriously bad intentions, most peeps "street fight" as a means to "alpha" the other guy, soon as you start striking and well, they're gonna shut down quick. It surprises me actually. Some still press after but you know when its done, you can tell when you broke em.

Face punching I will give you, you build up upon habits by your training. I'm told however alot, esp. in east Europe do bang city and still train head punching despite not competing with them.

Anyone can get KO'd from one punch. If you think MMA or MT is gonna make you immune to a 1 hit KO punch you're delusional. The Kyokushin stance is actually better for MMA than the MT stance with weight on the back leg.
Combat sports or martial arts, whatever, only help increases our chances of winning by a certain %, it doesn't make us omni-potent. I think alot of folks need to see that for what it is. I always saw in the old days it was TMA peeps who were deluded with this, but it creeps up onto fighters very quickly as well.

Last edited:
Combat sports or martial arts, whatever, only help increases our chances of winning by a certain %, it doesn't make us omni-potent. I think alot of folks need to see that for what it is. I always saw in the old days it was TMA peeps who were deluded with this, but it creeps up onto fighters very quickly as well.

Exactly.

It could almost be argued that someone who trains combat sports or martial arts might have some bad habits of not going for the actual kill or using objects vs. a killer who just wants you dead.

lets not forget how many KK fighters transitioned into MT and did very well also. for the record a high level KK guy is dangerous and capable of beating any other high level martial artist. a "average" joe would get destroyed by a KK guy.

Exactly.

It could almost be argued that someone who trains combat sports or martial arts might have some bad habits of not going for the actual kill or using objects vs. a killer who just wants you dead.

Not just that also. What martial art or combat sport (striking wise) teaches you how to deal with weapons or multiple opponents?

Not to mention the legal ramifications involved in defending yourself.

I'll be the first to say that Kyokushin imho lacks in self defense in many areas but so do many other martial arts. MT & MMA are better imho for self defense but not by a significant amount.

The cold truth is that unarmed hand to hand combat is in it's own little bubble. Combat hasn't been fought barehanded in thousands of years - that's how far out the bubble we are. Also any advantage in hand to hand combat is almost always negated by size, age, numbers and your readiness. Hell self defense depends hugely upon being able to spot a threat to begin with - it's very easy for someone untrained to beat the shit out of you by simply catching you off guard or hitting you when you don't know they're there.

Not to mention years of martial arts training can be thrown out the window - if an average joe resorts to the use of a weapon with the intent to kill or maime.

Point being I agree with you lol.

I think most are confused where self defence can be applied. It is mostly with people you know where you will get to apply what you know. Not against robbers or drunks. There are better solutions against the drunks and the robbers.

For me it is mostly in soccer games. With team mates or against someone I have hard tackled. My last two fights were at work and in a soccer game. Ended pretty quickly both with a left hook slap and with a left jab.

Kyokoshin Shows how tough those old Japanese were and are if you train there or with authentic lineage. I'm sure Hotora can detail why there's no punching to the head and to my recollection it was a limitation to keep debilitating head trauma down the sparing lasting more than 30 seconds.

Whether it translate's to tightly wrapped wrists and padded floors that's a legitimate debate, but solid mechanical foundation and Budo toughness can't be questioned. That taken into our padded sport theater tactics is going to produce scary results as JSP noted.

I think most are confused where self defence can be applied. It is mostly with people you know where you will get to apply what you know. Not against robbers or drunks. There are better solutions against the drunks and the robbers.

For me it is mostly in soccer games. With team mates or against someone I have hard tackled. My last two fights were at work and in a soccer game. Ended pretty quickly both with a left hook slap and with a left jab.

I think you're the one confused.

Fighting at work and while playing football is not self defence, it's acting like a baboon.

I think you're the one confused.

Fighting at work and while playing football is not self defence, it's acting like a baboon.

Dont want to sound like a mad feminist, but fights such as rapes hapen way more often with people you know than people on the street. It may not be at work or at soccer but fights happen with people you know most often... I have fought with drunks once and I was kind of forced to, but I have had many fights with people I know.

It might not be self defence in that case, sure you are a part of the conflict and agree to the fight, but this is when you will need your martial art or sports fight skills most likely... in situations like these.

Dont want to sound like a mad feminist, but fights such as rapes hapen way more often with people you know than people on the street. It may not be at work or at soccer but fights happen with people you know most often... I have fought with drunks once and I was kind of forced to, but I have had many fights with people I know.

It might not be self defence in that case, sure you are a part of the conflict and agree to the fight, but this is when you will need your martial art or sports fight skills most likely... in situations like these.

Did someone attempt to rape you at work or on the football pitch?

It sounds to me like you're the kind of guy waiting for an excuse to start swinging, or maybe you're just giving us the wrong impression in your posts.

do you compete? or just "street fight"? Do you have any videos of you training,sparring, fighting, you could share?

100% agree.

Old but gold:
http://www.wimsblog.com/2013/04/self-defense-tips-for-men/

Self-defense tips for men #5: Get over yourself.

My point is this: the human mind, like nature, abhors a vacuum. It will fill in that vacuum in any way it can. So if you have no actual experience with violence, you will form your opinions about it somehow. And no matter how much you tell yourself that “it’s just a movie” your mind is still absorbing that information subconsciously. Given enough repetition, you might be surprised about how much disinformation you actually soak up. So forget about the movie violence or the way they portray self-defense situations and how to handle them. 99.99% of the time, they get it wrong. If you do have experience with violence, you already know this is true.

lol so true, here on sherdog quite a bit too. "what you should have done is ducked, punch punch, duck, jab, pivot, spinning crane kick, side step, jump block attack"

lol so true, here on sherdog quite a bit too. "what you should have done is ducked, punch punch, duck, jab, pivot, spinning crane kick, side step, jump block attack"
Naw. He should have banged

Did someone attempt to rape you at work or on the football pitch?

It sounds to me like you're the kind of guy waiting for an excuse to start swinging, or maybe you're just giving us the wrong impression in your posts.
Ask women about rape.scenarios. I am not a guy looking for an escuse.to start.swinging but.I have no problems to swing at anyone challenging me. See I come from.Eastern Europe where fights do.happen at work places. I.shared a story.here an year ago about a guy that attacked me at work. These things happen here.

Street advantages training Kyokushin gives you.
You learn to fight bare knuckle and make your fist properly so it won't break on the other guys face. A lot of fighters who compete with gloves end up with hand injuries when it happens in the street. It also helps with naturally gauging distance. On the street that extra 1-3 inches on the gloves you trained with is the difference between knocking some motherfucker clean out or just giving him a bad scare.
Kicks are powerful and basic focused on practical fighting. Very few flashy and improbable kicks.
Lastly, you mightn't always be in shape but the mental toughness never leaves you. The Kyokushin spirit is for life... Osu!

Disadvantages.
Attacking and defending the head are just not trained seriously.
You learn the Kihon and maybe hit a few pads but the concept of head movement and taking angles just isn't there.
You never spar head strikes so it doesn't train in the muscle memory and instinct to attack the head. This is a serious deficiency in the style.
I think they tried out some Knockdown rules where a bubble helmet was worn and head strikes allowed but it didn't take off.

Back