Social LA City Council OKs proposal to ban rodeos in the city, but with some exceptions

panem-et-circenses

In the garden
Reaction score
The Los Angeles City Council Tuesday called for the drafting of an ordinance that would ban rodeos in city limits over concerns the events are inherently cruel to animals - but the council also said it wants to carve out exemptions for certain cultural and traditional activities. - but the council also said it wants to carve out exemptions for certain cultural and traditional activities.”

He told his colleagues that the motion is an "instruction" to the city attorney to draft an ordinance that bans specific cruel activities such as "bareback bronc riding, saddle bronc riding, bull riding, road capping, etc."

A rodeo ban would end the annual Los Angeles appearance by the Professional Bull Riders tour, which has events at Crypto.com Arena in February.

ABC7

Apparently some on the council didn’t know what they were voting for. Anyway, I haven’t thought about the morality of rodeos We’ve covered bullfighting, and I’m probably in the minority during those discussions, but rodeos…I have no clue. Are they inherently cruel?

Phew, for a second there I thought it was actually banned. Turns out, it's only banned for white people. Mexican and Indian rodeos are still on.

As a youth we had a "bucking barrel" in our back yard. It was a 55 gallon drum suspended by chains to four surrounding posts. I was a young lad and my oldest brother and his friends thought it would be funny to not go easy while shaking the chains. It was then that I learned that bullriding wasn't going to be a career path for me.

It's less cruel the horse racing and especially dog racing.

Bull riding is not cruel to the bulls
They are highly prized and worth a lot of money. They like all stock are checked and ok before being used.

The stock in the other events are also expensive and taken care of.

The only event that I have any reservations about calf roping. However they have made changes to that to protect the calfs. A jerk down will get you fined and lower points and could get you disqualified.

I would like to see better supervision of the animals at the smaller events.

By the way most all the stock used are one and done at the event. That is one time out and they are done for the day.

Last edited:
Did you ever watch the movie 8 Seconds starring Luke Perry?

Yes great movie.

His death was tragic and some good changes were made.

I had a friend that was a pro bull rider. It's a hell of a sport the most dangerous out there that I know of. I tried it once after he schooled me on the barrel. I didn't make it to time. It was scary as hell all the way to and after it was over. After it was over the rush was intoxicating. I could see how you could be addicted to it.

Last edited:
Omg... The idiots running one of the biggest cities in the world.

Seriously, fucktards

Anyone ever went to a prison rodeo? They spread the cruelty around so you don't feel so bad for the animals.

Anyone ever went to a prison rodeo? They spread the cruelty around so you don't feel so bad for the animals.

I went to that very rodeo every year growing up, and a couple of times when I was living back home going to school. Great time. You get to walk the yard and haggle with the inmates who are allowed to sell goods they crafted in a woodshop or forge.

The rodeo itself is nuts. They were still doing the poker routine too. The inmates actually love the program. Caring for the animals and playing cowboy is a hell of a break for a lot of guys that are doing life without parole.

Virtue signalling is fun.

First of all, are there a lot of rodeos in LA? I honestly don't know, but can't recall ever seeing an ad for one. Second either it's such a bad thing that government has to ban it or not. No cultural carve outs.

Also good old American bullfighting.

Last edited:
of all the problems LA has to deal with, they chose to make this one of them.

Back