Lake Monsters and Sea Serpents

There’s stories of 100lb+ catfish in the lakes around here. I’ve personally seen a 76lber caught on a trotline so I don’t doubt it at all.

There’s stories of 100lb+ catfish in the lakes around here. I’ve personally seen a 76lber caught on a trotline so I don’t doubt it at all.

th

Caught this one on a hot dog in a Missouri farm pond

Every single lake around has the rumors of divers working on the damns seeing catfish the size of Volkswagens.

Biggest I’ve caught was 50 something personally.

But I don’t catfish, caught that bastard bass fishing

Thor Battering the Midgard Serpent (1790) by Henry Fuseli

800px-Johann_Heinrich_F%C3%BCssli_011.jpg

Oseberg_ship_head_post-foto-Museum-of-Cultural-History-University-of-Oslo-Norway1.jpg

A slate mold for metal jewelry.
dragehode-med-mankekroller-stopeform-Birka.-foto-gyldendals-abne-encyklopaedi.jpg

MVC-015S_lg.jpg
I know I’m going to take some heat for this, but I think modern man knew dinosaurs first hand. Aboriginal cave paintings in Australia, legends from the Congo, Thunderbirds from the American Southwest and Mexico, stories from Paupa New Guinea, descriptions in the book of Job. It’s too much to simply dismiss.

I know I’m going to take some heat for this, but I think modern man knew dinosaurs first hand. Aboriginal cave paintings in Australia, legends from the Congo, Thunderbirds from the American Southwest and Mexico, stories from Paupa New Guinea, descriptions in the book of Job. It’s too much to simply dismiss.

Really? I think it's incredibly easy to dismiss.

When I was 8 I was drawing dragons, monsters, and all sorts of mythical creatures. Weren't we all? Its called using our imagination.

Some caveman doing the exact same thing on a wall really isn't that surprising. It'd be surprising if they didn't do that.

Really? I think it's incredibly easy to dismiss.

When I was 8 I was drawing dragons, monsters, and all sorts of mythical creatures. Weren't we all? Its called using our imagination.

Some caveman doing the exact same thing on a wall really isn't that surprising. It'd be surprising if they didn't do that.
You’re kinda making my point. We ALL did. People everywhere. That imagery came from somewhere.

You’re kinda making my point. We ALL did. People everywhere. That imagery came from somewhere.

...our heads???? What are you saying, that ancient people had no imagination and only modern humans have it? Everything they ever drew or wrote was based in reality? We know that's not the case for people today, why would it be for people back then?

...our heads???? What are you saying, that ancient people had no imagination and only modern humans have it? Everything they ever drew or wrote was based in reality? We know that's not the case for people today, why would it be for people back then?
I’m saying every culture has similar imagery. Aboriginal Australians, ancient Hebrews, American Indians, Mayans, Congolese, Far East, Vikings.
Why would all have common imagery if we didn’t have common experiences. Have you seen the Australian cave paintings?

I’m saying every culture has similar imagery. Aboriginal Australians, ancient Hebrews, American Indians, Mayans, Congolese, Far East, Vikings.
Why would all have common imagery if we didn’t have common experiences. Have you seen the Australian cave paintings?

What common imagery? Post some examples.

What common imagery? Post some examples.
Many far flung cultures have “dragon” myths and tales of “sea serpents.” Many other cultures can draw pictures or describe well known dinosaurs.

Many far flung cultures have “dragon” myths and tales of “sea serpents.” Many other cultures can draw pictures or describe well known dinosaurs.

Specific examples please. Most of these cultures drew from each other.

Specific examples please. Most of these cultures drew from each other.
Mokele Mbembe from the Congo and Yarru from Australia
Behemoth from the Hebrews
Papau New Guinea doesn’t have a local name

But even just dragon myths in general.

Mokele Mbembe from the Congo and Yarru from Australia
Behemoth from the Hebrews
Papau New Guinea doesn’t have a local name

But even just dragon myths in general.

Dude. Behemoth is just a large creature mentioned in the Bible. Could literally be anything. The others aren't dragons. That's some cryptozoology shit. Dragon myths precede that stuff by thousands of years. I thought you actually had something.

Dude. Behemoth is just a large creature mentioned in the Bible. Could literally be anything. The others aren't dragons. That's some cryptozoology shit. Dragon myths precede that stuff by thousands of years. I thought you actually had something.
Obviously I’m not talking about literal dragons. I’m postulating that dragon myths come from dinosaurs. “Dinosaur” is a relatively new word. Ancient people would not have called them that.
Those examples I listed are from disparate cultures that describe very similar animals that fit the description of known dinosaurs.

Obviously I’m not talking about literal dragons. I’m postulating that dragon myths come from dinosaurs. “Dinosaur” is a relatively new word. Ancient people would not have called them that.
Those examples I listed are from disparate cultures that describe very similar animals that fit the description of known dinosaurs.
Problem is tho if they were around 50,000 years ago, there's probably still 1 today. And if there was 1 today, you'd be able to notice its effects on the environment because of how much energy it has to consume. biologists or whatever you call them have entire ecosystems mapped out mathematically. the idea of 1000 + lb monsters or even just a bigfoot sized creature can be disproven with math showing energy flows between different parts of the food chain.

Problem is tho if they were around 50,000 years ago, there's probably still 1 today. And if there was 1 today, you'd be able to notice its effects on the environment because of how much energy it has to consume. biologists or whatever you call them have entire ecosystems mapped out mathematically. the idea of 1000 + lb monsters or even just a bigfoot sized creature can be disproven with math showing energy flows between different parts of the food chain.
I don’t disagree they can do that in places like North America, but in the Congo? No way. One of the creatures people in PNG keep reporting is actually small. Well, about the size of a small deer.
The ones in Australia, the Aboriginal people say died when the swamps dried up. Not sure when that would have been. They actually distinguish between “Dreamtime” creatures which are part of their myths and flesh and blood creatures which they insist existed.

I don’t disagree they can do that in places like North America, but in the Congo? No way. One of the creatures people in PNG keep reporting is actually small. Well, about the size of a small deer.
The ones in Australia, the Aboriginal people say died when the swamps dried up. Not sure when that would have been. They actually distinguish between “Dreamtime” creatures which are part of their myths and flesh and blood creatures which they insist existed.
Dude it's obviously just third world people that make 10 cents a day trying to make a few dollars

Back